Jay Honeck in AOPA Pilot

Old February 6th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Jay Honeck in AOPA Pilot

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
How has the fight gone, at Jay's airport? I know they had some issues,
at last time I heard.

Boy, maybe I should check in here more often?

:-)

First off, Jim, let's put the blame squarely where it belongs: "Bertie
the Bunyip" single-handedly killed this group. MX was a minor annoyance
who could be mildly amusing, but the ever-caustic king of the trolls drove
off every good poster here.

Secondly, many of us have gone to "Pilots of America". It's a good group,
and, yes, the interface can be difficult. It's worth it, however, to be
able to discuss aviation again. (And, for those who really want to go on
political rants, there's a place there called "The Spin Zone" that can be
a lot of fun.)

ANYWAY, our airport here in Iowa City is doing fine. We're down to just
two runways now (we lost our North/South runway a couple of years ago),
but our airport advocacy group, "Friends of Iowa City Airport" (FOICA) and
airport commission have worked together to make sure that local Iowa City
residents and our city council are aware of the essential role our airport
plays in our local economy. This public relations effort is the key to
keeping any airport viable.

Thanks to these (and other) efforts, we've seen a lot of good things done,
although they were very painful in coming. Things like taxiways paved,
runways reconstructed, and hangars rehabilitated have been common-to-see
each construction season for the last several years.

Sadly, amongst all these victories have been terrible losses. We lost our
historic Boeing/United Hangar to the wrecking ball, after a 5-year battle.
We lost Rwy 18/36 virtually overnight, without warning. This summer our
airport is going to be completely, 100% closed for 3 to 4 weeks, while the
intersection of Rwy 12 and Rwy 25 is reconstructed -- an act of stupidity
that could have been avoided if only we hadn't lost our third runway.

Still, in the end we will have a terrific, completely refurbished airport
when -- just a few years ago -- our city council was trying to shut it
down. So, all in all, we've won more than we've lost. Victory is never
complete, however -- the anti-airport crowd is like the Frankenstein
monster, never *really* dead, always threatening to pop back to life at
any moment.

It would be nice to come back here more often -- I really miss the
interface, and all of you guys! We'll see how well this post is met.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I can't believe the city didn't seize the airport over imminent domain
considering it looked to be the only place in Iowa City that wasn't under
water last summer!

Old February 6th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JJ[_2_]

Ross wrote:
It is too bad. They probably have
established themselves there and will not come back. I check here from
time to time just to see if there is anything going on.

Does nobody know how to use a kill file anymore?

JJ
Old February 6th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JJ[_2_]

Ricky wrote:

Ricky (who hasn't ever left a usenet group or plonked anyone in 15
years on usenet).

I agree with your sentiments but I kill file the idiots very quickly and kill
threads when they get hijacked.
I just cannot understand the whining about the newsgroup being wrecked and
people flouncing off in their huffs when with one or two clicks the junk just
disappears for ever.

JJ

Old February 6th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JJ[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

First off, Jim, let's put the blame squarely where it belongs: "Bertie
the Bunyip" single-handedly killed this group. MX was a minor annoyance
who could be mildly amusing, but the ever-caustic king of the trolls
drove off every good poster here.

I do not think you would operate a plane without becoming familiar with its
controls, but you seem to think that a troll kills a group and chases people
off. Even a Microsuck product has kill file capability, learn to use it and
the K button to kill threads and you do not even see the junk.
What kills a group is people who do not learn how to filter properly and then
run off to some crappy web interface and claim the group was "ruined" by
someone else.

JJ
Old February 6th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Bob Fry wrote:
"Ross" == Ross writes:

Ross Now the newsgroup is gone and I had to sell my
Ross plane. Not in a happy place....

You had to sell your plane because a ng disappeared??

Yes, there was just no need for the plane if I could not freely discuss
it here. No it was a medical issue. Can't fly due to the condition.
Take medicine that makes be fine. Medicine not approved by the FAA.
Catch 22?

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old February 6th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Jay Honeck wrote:
Gotta ask -- how many hours has your son logged? I think 200 is the
magic number, or at least used to be, for the instrument rating. The
betting had been he'd do that before you.

Sadly (but, as expected) he's rarely flown since Oshkosh. Being a
freshman in college, and away from home, he's way busy, all the time.

I fly with him every few months just so he can stay current, but I don't
expect he'll have any real time (or money) to devote to flying for a few
more years. Unless he pursues flying as a vocation, I doubt he'll get
the IR any time soon, if ever.

The 200 hour rule is gone now.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old February 6th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

JJ wrote:
Ross wrote:
It is too bad. They probably have
established themselves there and will not come back. I check here from
time to time just to see if there is anything going on.

Does nobody know how to use a kill file anymore?

JJ

Oh, I have the kill file set up and running.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old February 6th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Jay Honeck wrote:

Still, in the end we will have a terrific, completely refurbished
airport when -- just a few years ago -- our city council was trying to
shut it down. So, all in all, we've won more than we've lost. Victory
is never complete, however -- the anti-airport crowd is like the
Frankenstein monster, never *really* dead, always threatening to pop
back to life at any moment.

Please tell me they took federal money for the at least some of the
refurbishment.