About those anti-aviatoin newsgroups

Old August 16th 03, 05:21 PM
C J Campbell

Default About those anti-aviatoin newsgroups

We should be cautious about posting anything on these news groups. There is
no way of convincing the mentally ill that airplanes are not a threat to
them, so arguing with them is futile. At worst, somebody in these groups
could find out about the rec.aviation news groups. This is a serious matter.
rec.scouting.usa, for example, has been completely hijacked by heterophobes
and is virtually useless for discussing Scouting. We would not want that to
happen here.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

For the Homeland!

Old August 16th 03, 09:00 PM
Ted Huffmire

Sounds like a term invented by someone
who listens to too much hate-filled
talk shows on the AM dial.

There is a great article in the latest
New Yorker on the subject.

Ted

Peter Duniho wrote:

Heterophobes? Somehow, I doubt that. Sounds like a term made up by
homophobes.

Old August 17th 03, 12:00 AM
Gary L. Drescher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Heterophobes? Somehow, I doubt that. Sounds like a term made up by
homophobes.

You obviously haven't had any serious discussions about scouting with
members of the homosexual community.

"Heterophobe" describes them pretty well, IMHO.

Really Jay? We seriously discussed the orientation-segregation of scouting
in an earlier thread here. I challenge you to cite anything I said that was
"heterophobic".

Outside of this newsgroup, the vast majority of people I know (straight or
gay) advocate desegregation for the Scouts, as do many Scout groups
themselves. Whether you agree with that position or not, characterizing it
as heterophobic is like saying that the people who worked to desegregate
lunch counters in the '60s were thereby being white-phobic.

But that's beside the point -- CJ's point is a valid one.

You and CJ needn't worry about this newsgroup being "hijacked". It already
has been, by right-wingers who frequently inject gratuitous disparagements
of ethnic, economic, or sexual minority groups. I wouldn't mind having to
debate anti-aviation folks here any more than I mind having to debate
you--and at least the anti-aviation debate would be vaguely on-topic.

--Gary

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 17th 03, 12:28 AM
Robert Perkins

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:59:56 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
rec.scouting.usa, for example, has been completely hijacked by

heterophobes

Heterophobes? Somehow, I doubt that. Sounds like a term made up by
homophobes.

Ooo! Namecalling! There's a fine way to keep up a conversation.

Rob
Old August 17th 03, 03:46 AM
Jay Honeck

Really Jay? We seriously discussed the orientation-segregation of
scouting
in an earlier thread here. I challenge you to cite anything I said that

was
"heterophobic".

I actually wasn't referring to the conversations we've had here, Gary. You
have always been well-reasoned and fair.

I was referring to conversations I've had here in Iowa City, and at the
school board meetings I've attended during the discussions that led to the
banning of the Boy Scouts from the schools.

Which is STILL beside the point. CJ is trying to say "let's not bait the
crazy anti-noise crowd" for fear of them hijacking the group. This is a
valid point, IMHO.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 17th 03, 04:05 AM
Montblack

("Ted Huffmire" wrote)
Sounds like a term invented by someone
who listens to too much hate-filled
talk shows on the AM dial.

That person should listen to a different AM - talk radio station. There are
some very good talk shows out there. A person just need to find them - a
little like selective TV viewing.

The radio I no longer tolerate is Howard Sternish "morning drive" FM crews.
If I hear a poop/crude story, off they go. I was a rebeleous 15 year old
many decades ago - don't need to relive it.

Good Luck ..."GL"

--
Montblack

Old August 17th 03, 04:08 AM
StellaStar

There is
no way of convincing the mentally ill that airplanes are not a threat to
them

A) They're already busy merrily posting arguments on other newsgroups.

B) The pilots themselves do a sufficient job of dragging discussions off-topic
to bicker about politics and social issues. Just watch.

C) Yeah, just like the news media, newsgroups devoted to a topic shouldn't post
anything bad about that topic. If we hushed up all the bad news we'd be just
like that nice Soviet Union and the Afghan news. Then we could all be happy and
censored. That's the ticket.

D) Learn to separate facts from opinions. Leave the latter out. How
refreshing that would be.
Old August 17th 03, 05:01 AM
Montblack

("Gary L. Drescher" wrote)
snip
You and CJ needn't worry about this newsgroup being "hijacked". It

already
has been, by right-wingers who frequently inject gratuitous disparagements
of ethnic, economic, or sexual minority groups.

Being an Independent, I'm safe from this broadside g.

I have observed that left (wingers) want an experience where judgements,
observations, and opinions must only have "happy" conclusions, anything else
MUST constitute "hate speech."

That term *economic minority group* is hilarious. Some people are poor -
yes. However, many people, with the same number of assets / amount of money,
are just temporarily broke.

We should celebrate merit with the same fervor that we now reserve for the
worship of diversity (a.k.a. assumed value, and worth, based on a person's
eye color). Wish we, as a society, would zero in on "lack of accomplishment"
with some of that nifty left-wing zeal that's out there.

Has this NG been hijacked? I don't think so. There have, from time to time,
been a few chartered flights off to La-La Land ...I usually root for a
granite cumulous cloud to finish off those threads.

Enjoy your posts Gary.

--
Montblack

Old August 17th 03, 06:15 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I was referring to conversations I've had here in Iowa City, and at the
school board meetings I've attended during the discussions that led to the
banning of the Boy Scouts from the schools.

Well, if "heterophobic" means "scared silly that some right-wing
fundamentalist is going to lynch him", yeah...I suppose some homosexuals
could be called "heterophobic". But in reality, those homosexuals are not
scared of heterosexuals in general, but only specific ones. Quite a
difference from those heterosexuals who have a problem with ALL homosexuals.

Which is STILL beside the point. CJ is trying to say "let's not bait the
crazy anti-noise crowd" for fear of them hijacking the group.

He easily could have made that point without the word "heterophobe". No, I
think his point was very clear, and it was to include his own brand of
politics in his comments.

Pete

Old August 17th 03, 08:26 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:00:11 GMT, "Gary L. Drescher"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Heterophobes? Somehow, I doubt that. Sounds like a term made up by
homophobes.

snip
You and CJ needn't worry about this newsgroup being "hijacked". It already
has been, by right-wingers who frequently inject gratuitous disparagements

Right wing, left wing, what ever stance you take you will be able to
find that kind of disagreement almost any where you go...so the group
hasn't really changed much over the years, nor has it been hijacked
and I've been in several groups where serious attempts have been made
to do just that.

of ethnic, economic, or sexual minority groups. I wouldn't mind having to
debate anti-aviation folks here any more than I mind having to debate
you--and at least the anti-aviation debate would be vaguely on-topic.

What ever the topic, whether on or off, you will be able to find both
pro and con and particularly in RAH and RAP.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

--Gary

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA