Constant speed prop oil leak

Old April 19th 04, 04:15 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
wrote:
Never saw a corrosion problem inside the Hartzell props on "working"
airplanes (greased every 100 hrs/2-3 months, o-hauled every 3-4
years). Always thought that a grease job every 100 hrs/6 months
(regardless of hours in the air) would be a good idea for relatively
in-frequent flyers.

Should grease be added until it flows cleanly from the removed zerk side,
or just until "some" grease comes out?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 19th 04, 05:25 AM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:15:08 GMT, (Ben Jackson) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Never saw a corrosion problem inside the Hartzell props on "working"
airplanes (greased every 100 hrs/2-3 months, o-hauled every 3-4
years). Always thought that a grease job every 100 hrs/6 months
(regardless of hours in the air) would be a good idea for relatively
in-frequent flyers.

Should grease be added until it flows cleanly from the removed zerk side,
or just until "some" grease comes out?

Depends on the installation.

What follows is personal preference for servicing Hartzell compact-hub
props, in no way supported by applicable maintenance documentation.
Worth just what you paid for it. Follow at your own risk.

Hartzell useta tell you to add a "little", sorry don't remember the
exact amount. With the guns we used, it worked out to about 4
"pumps".

Main thing to remember is to add the grease s-l-o-w-l-y, never use a
pneumatic-assisted gun.

If a similiar amount of decent looking grease comes out the
opposite/removed zerk, stop.

If after a shot or two, decent looking grease starts coming out, stop.

If after 4 shots, nothing comes out, 4 more, decent looking grease,
stop.

If the grease looks kinda crappy, carefully & slowly add until it
cleans up. Prop probably needs attention (see t-prop below for
exceptions).

In some cases, grease will not come out. This means that you are
filling the "dry" hub with grease. Prop definitely needs attention.

On turbo-prop applications, 8 times out of 10, the grease will be
compromised. Often will expel water with the grease, or show signs of
water contamination. If the prop is serviced on a regular basis,
carefully "flushing" the cavity with clean grease, it will likely
survive the next o-haul without major corrosion issues.

Only other thing notable is that any Hartzell compact hub prop
installed new (or after o-haul) should be run up to TO rpm, exercised
several times, and the hub cavities "topped off" with grease. Not sure
if that's in the "book" or not. In this case, opposite zerk is
removed, and grease added until excess is seen. Can take a little or a
lot.

Finally, if getting a Dy-Bal performed on a H/CH prop, make sure to
grease it first, just in case someone forgot to "top it off".

Hope this helps;

TC

Old April 19th 04, 08:29 PM
Rick Durden

Don,

Ten years since the prop was overhauled??? Yikes.

I think you are getting an overhaul reminder. Could be a seal, could
be a crack...I suspect it's time. While the McCauley's don't have the
AD for overhaul every five years, ten years is a little long to go.
Those whirling chunks of metal are under terrific stress.

BTW, do some pricing on the overhaul. If you hit the situation where
you have to replace blades, also do some comparitive shopping as there
may be deals to be had on the new three-blade props for your airplane.

All the best,
Rick

DP wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:11:32 GMT, Mike Adams
wrote:

"Newps" wrote:

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"DP" wrote in message
[...] Sure enough, it sprayed a small amount of red hydraulic oil
on the prop and on the top cowl.

Odd. I would've assumed a 210 would have a similar prop governor
design

other piston singles, using engine oil to control the prop.

They do. The guts of the prop use a red colored oil so you know when
they start to leak. All constant speed props do this.

I checked into this awhile back and learned the same thing. The McCauley
props didn't have it originally, but there's now a mandatory service
bulletin to fill the hub with the red oil/grease. This provides an
indicator of leaks, but also causes the prop to need service more often. I
was told the grease would stay in place for about 5 years, and then the
prop would need to be overhauled, or resealed again.

Well, this is starting to make sense then.....it's been 10 years since
the last prop overhaul......

Mike

Don Paquette
PP-ASEL
N9723X

Old April 19th 04, 08:56 PM
Newps

Assuming normal wear and tear an overhaul on a 2 blade McCauley for your
typical 182 will run $2K.

m...

Old April 19th 04, 10:36 PM
DP

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:56:24 -0600, "Newps"
wrote:

Assuming normal wear and tear an overhaul on a 2 blade McCauley for your
typical 182 will run $2K.

This was a new prop back in 1994/5 (don't have my logs right here).
The last owner belied it in so the engine was overhauled and a new
prop put on. I didn't see any overhaul tags anywhere for this prop,
but I KNOW nothings been done to it the last three years I've owned
it.

My A&P said today the prop "appears" fine, and it should only need new
seals, but we won't know until Friday when the prop shop takes it
apart. The A&P tells me between 3-5K for an overhaul, and that the
blades are in great shape. We'll see I guess. I'll post more when I
find out more.

om...

Old April 19th 04, 10:38 PM
DP

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:58:58 GMT, DP wrote:

follow up

This was a new prop back in 1994/5 (don't have my logs right here).
The last owner bellied it in so the engine was overhauled and a new
prop put on. I didn't see any overhaul tags anywhere for this prop,
but I KNOW nothing has been done to it the last three years I've
owned it.

My A&P said today the prop "appears" fine, and it should only need new
seals, but we won't know until Friday when the prop shop takes it
apart. I took it off the plane this morning, and the prop shop is
picking it up tommorow as they have other to drop off/pick up.

Old April 19th 04, 10:57 PM
Jim Weir

How do you belly a 182 in?

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old April 20th 04, 12:50 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
How do you belly a 182 in?

Jim

Dunno, but I've seen it done in a Cub. :-(
Ended up being a total loss, too.

--
Mike

Old April 20th 04, 05:45 AM
OP

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:57:20 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

How do you belly a 182 in?

Jim

The same way you belly in a 172.... forget to put the gear down. ;-)

Ron Kelley