Ridge Flights April 24

Old April 24th 15, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Charlie

Default Ridge Flights April 24

There are some big ridge flights underway in the Appalachians right now. You can follow some of the pilots on the SSA Sailplane Tracker. Daniel Sazhin and the Duckhawk seem to be over 500 km into his 1000 km triangle as of 1:30 PM.
Old April 24th 15, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Go Daniel Go!
Old April 24th 15, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Charlie

As of 4:00 PM it looks like he's crossed the Susquehanna with about 150 km (Straight line) to home. Wow. It's been amazing to watch how fast he has moved today...
Old April 27th 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:32:53 PM UTC-5, Whiskey Charlie wrote:
There are some big ridge flights underway in the Appalachians right now. You can follow some of the pilots on the SSA Sailplane Tracker. Daniel Sazhin and the Duckhawk seem to be over 500 km into his 1000 km triangle as of 1:30 PM.

The Duckhawk will become what it was meant to be, an american racing machine. Buy one today.
Old April 27th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 1:32:53 PM UTC-4, Whiskey Charlie wrote:

Daniel Sazhin and the Duckhawk seem to be over 500 km into his 1000 km triangle as of 1:30 PM.

Daniel's flight is nothing less than remarkable. I may be wrong, but I believe there has only been one other 1,000 km FAI triangle flown in the USA.

There was also a group flown, 1,250 triangle.

Tom Knauff

Old April 27th 15, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Not to take anything at all away from this flight (heck, Daniel is a fellow club member), but there have actually been quite a few 1000K or greater triangles. In addition to a fair number flown in ridge country, there have been a bunch in the West/Southwest (Nevada, California, Utah). Certainly not hundreds or even scores, but I'd bet a couple dozen or thereabouts.

Regardless, it's an awesome accomplishment (says the guy who abandoned the same task as Daniel and had to settle for only 850K or so).

Erik Mann (P3)

Old April 28th 15, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Fantastic flying.
Great to see so many Pudknockers having a fast day on the ridge.
Freedom's Wings too!
"May the Schwartz be with you"
Jim
Old April 29th 15, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

That's only the latest flights for records on the SSA site; several of these 1000K speed or distance records superceded older 1000K flights. In the last 3 years of the OLC Barron Hilton Cup there have been at least 6. There are another half dozen or more that are on the older Barron Hilton sites. I can come up with at least 20 or so. Still, a pretty elite group.

P3
Old April 29th 15, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 8:59:48 PM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
That's only the latest flights for records on the SSA site; several of these 1000K speed or distance records superceded older 1000K flights. In the last 3 years of the OLC Barron Hilton Cup there have been at least 6. There are another half dozen or more that are on the older Barron Hilton sites. I can come up with at least 20 or so. Still, a pretty elite group.

P3

First, congrats to Dan. Great flight!

Below is from the SSA site. Might also add that last 12 plus years, many 1,000 k's have also been flown out of Ely, NV. Some aren't claimed or not posted on the OLC.

Are we talking about "records" or just plain old 1,000 +K flights?

1000k Diploma
Badge# Date Name City, State
119 4/9/2014 Daniel J Mockler Kennett Square, PA
118 4/23/2014 George D Green Fairfield, PA
117 7/19/2013 Mitch Polinsky Stanford, CA
116 7/8/2013 Rolf Siebert Albuquerque, NM
115 6/30/2013 James Staniforth Tehachapi, CA

Best regards, Tom.

Ridge flights [email protected] Soaring 4 April 9th 12 10:29 AM
Ridge Tour Tom[_9_] Soaring 1 January 31st 10 07:14 PM
Ridge Day at New Castle, VA, USA Ray Lovinggood Soaring 9 September 20th 06 07:16 PM
A fine ridge day in PA - the Ridge Soaring Irregulars ride again QT Soaring 0 April 6th 06 04:01 PM
Ridge video? John Shelton Soaring 1 March 17th 04 12:28 AM