Stop whining, America!

Old August 26th 05, 01:51 PM
Garner Miller

In article . com,
wrote:

If you want to see a true oceangoing yacht, look at something like the
Nordhavn 62'.

I want one!

I'm not sure having "The Perfect Storm" on the DVD player on that
interior shot was such a bright idea, though. grin

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old August 26th 05, 02:08 PM
ls

Actually, the situation is complicated. We're in a situation now that
we've not been in before vis-a-vis crude oil and it's getting harder and
harder to hide.

There're some internet resources that discuss this:

This guy Matthew Simmons is an energy advisor to the president as well
as (now) a leading researcher into the crude oil situation:

http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/

(it's no accident that our fearless leader GWB is suddenly pushing
hydrogen fuel cells and alternative energies - he's spoken with Simmons
on many occasions recently).

Another place to find some somewhat objective info is he

http://www.peakoil.net/

In fact, if you just google for matthew simmons or "peak oil", you'll
find a lot of discussion about the current symptomology with respect to
high gas prices.

To summarize, we're a bit in the dark but for sure there's a pretty
audible ticking going on strongly resembling a clock on a timebomb.....

Personally, I've changed my future aviation plans to put fuel economy
much closer to the top of the priority list. My current plane, for
example, is limited in many ways, but also burns only about 3 gallons
per hour.
I don't think I'll ever get a plane that burns much more than that...

Just FWIW,

LS
N646F
Jay Honeck wrote:
Everywhere, every day on the radio, television, and in the newspapers, all I
hear is how the "Record Price of Oil" is killing America.

Yet, strangely, Americans keep driving *more*. And I don't see anyone
flying less.

How can this be?

Here are some encouraging stats from the current issue of Newsweek:

- Oil, at $66 per barrel, has set a "nominal" record for high price.
However, in real, adjusted-for-inflation dollars, oil would have to top
$86.72 per barrel to beat the price record set in 1981.

- For a gallon of gas to set a record, it would have to cost $3.12 per
gallon, which was set back in 1981.

- Or, for that matter, it would have to cost $2.67 per gallon, which is what
it cost way back in 1935.

- Since the first "Energy Crisis" in the 1970s, our economy has become MUCH
more energy efficient. Total energy consumption per dollar of GDP has been
cut almost in half since 1973.

- Since 1980, the percentage of consumer spending that goes for energy has
*declined* from 9 to 6 percent, despite "record" prices.

- At the current rate of growth, our economy will DOUBLE in size in 18
years. (This is why, BTW, that even after President Bush's tax cuts,
federal revenues are still 17.5& of GDP -- just one percentage point below
the post-World War II norm.)

- Over the last 40 years, increases in productivity have averaged 2.1% per
year. Since 2001, it's averaged 3.9%.

- Even though rising productivity means that the economy can grow without
adding jobs, we have added over 4 million new jobs since July 2003.

So why is everything doom and gloom in the media? Why are none of these
facts brought to the fore? Is it a not-so-hidden agenda? An ax to grind?
Or is it that Americans are just not happy unless they've got something to
bitch about?

Personally, having been in the business, I think it's just this simple: Bad
news sells newspapers; good news sucks.

Get out and fly, people! Life is good!

:-)

Old August 26th 05, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

You know an awful lot about boats for a guy who lives in a place where
the biggest body of water most people ever see has a four legs and a
drain at the bottom

35 years living on the shores of Lake Michigan (in Milwaukee, Racine and
Kenosha, WI) teaches you a thing or three about boating.

"Turbulence" out there is no worse than we get
in the air and often less, especially in the summer. Most of these
boats have no business in serious weather.

"Turbulence" on Lake Michigan will turn the stoutest blue-water Navy man
green. When it gets rough on the Great Lakes, get off the water -- period.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 26th 05, 02:11 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay loved in Wisconsin.

Dang -- I *knew* there were hidden cameras around, somewhere!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 26th 05, 02:21 PM
Seth Masia

Well, all that may be true, but rising fuel prices are now cutting into
corporate profits, which will affect the stock market. See the NYT piece
http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news... 474107&rfi=6

I like your point about the fact that we're now using energy about twice as
efficiently as we did 30 years ago. Note that the economy hasn't suffered
as a result. Which raises the question, what the hell was the administration
talking about when it refused to promote further conservation measures on
the grounds that they'd hurt the economy? Could it be because this
administration is a parasite on oil industryn profits?

Hey, I'm as guilty as anyone. In addition to the airplane, I put fuel
through two (smallish) automobiles and a motorcycle. But this summer I've
been riding the bike a lot (40 mpg) and commuting on my bicycle (because I
can). And I put a solar hot water heater on the roof, which should cut my
electric bill by about 20%.

I am flying less, using the plane only for necessary trips and making my
hamburgers at home.

Seth
Comanche N8100R

Old August 26th 05, 02:27 PM
Jay Honeck

I like your point about the fact that we're now using energy about twice
as efficiently as we did 30 years ago. Note that the economy hasn't
suffered as a result. Which raises the question, what the hell was the
administration talking about when it refused to promote further
conservation measures on the grounds that they'd hurt the economy? Could
it be because this administration is a parasite on oil industryn profits?

Well, a very serious argument can be made that the environmental regulations
of the last 30 years have seriously harmed our economy.

Remember when America used to actually *make* things? If you're under 35,
probably not.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 26th 05, 02:49 PM
Jose

Well, a very serious argument can be made that the environmental regulations
of the last 30 years have seriously harmed our economy.

Remember when America used to actually *make* things?

And an equally serious argument can be made that we just pay Americans
far more than they are worth, and it's catching up to us, which is
what's really hurting the economy (and driving the jobs overseas).

Remember when we used to actually *fix* things?

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old August 26th 05, 02:59 PM
N93332

"Seth Masia" wasted electrons writing in message:
I am flying less, using the plane only for necessary trips and making my
hamburgers at home.

What are 'necessary trips' via plane? The only 'necessary trip' flight I can
think of would be to its annual. I try to fly a bit more than that...

-Greg B.

Old August 26th 05, 03:20 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

Well, a very serious argument can be made that the environmental regulations
of the last 30 years have seriously harmed our economy.

I don't think they are made to benefit the economy. By definition, one might
think. Economy isn't all there is...

Remember when America used to actually *make* things?

Well, what do you expect in a country where the president publicly denounces
science and the scientific method? What does that do to science, which
ultimately is the very foundation of "making things"?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 26th 05, 03:32 PM
Michael

And I don't see anyone flying less.

I do. A friend of mine is selling his Baron, and it barely leaves the
hangar now. He can't afford the gas anymore. He's decided his Harley
is more bang for the buck at 40 mph.

Another friend of mine is selling his Bonanza. Same basic reason.

I'm seeing quite a few people flying less, and the gas price is a major
factor.

Michael