Ethanol Powered Aircraft

Old August 26th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Default Ethanol Powered Aircraft

Jay Honeck wrote:
For those who think ethanol is a fuel that can't be made to work in
aircraft, I present the following:

I still would not feel safe with ethanol. Materials compatibility aside
(and that is a big issue all by itself), ethanol is hydrophilic. It
attracts and absorbs water, increasing the chance of fuel
contamination. Airplane fuel tends to be stored a lot longer than
automobile fuel anyway. I know that ethanol advocates claim that
ethanol has a storage life equivalent to that of gasoline, but ethanol
advocates claim a lot of other things, too. So far, no hard data on
storage life, but anecdotal evidence indicates that ethanol has a much
shorter storage life than claimed. You can bet that if it really was as
good as gasoline that the ethanol advocates would have published hard
data showing it a long time ago.

In a car, the worst ethanol can do is ruin your engine. In an airplane
it could kill you.

Old August 26th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eduardo K.[_1_]

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

-- Vice President Dick Cheney

eufemistic title

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | Freedom's just another word

Old August 27th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

Default POL Ethanol Powered Aircraft

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:49:29 GMT, Jose
wrote:

I said that the average individual's idea of success oriented was

[...]
She had a bit of a problem
keeping a straight face, but then proceeded to explain to the rest of
the class the definition of "success oriented".

Seems the question is being begged here. You can define "success
oriented" and then discuss whether people fit or don't fit it, or you
can state that people fit it, and discuss what "success oriented" means
to different folks.

Success or goal oriented (they are pretty much the same) is well
defined.

But to do both at the same time is oiling an eel.

Becoming a success at one goal is not goal oriented by any stretch.
Goal/success oriented people are constantly setting new goals. They
reach one and set the next, or set the next before even reaching the
first. They may have a series laid out and just add to it as they
continually succeed at reaching new goals. There is a big difference
between succeeding at something and being success oriented.

snip
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old August 27th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:35:41 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo K.
wrote in :

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

-- Vice President Dick Cheney

eufemistic title

[euphemistic?]

Oh. Right. That title is more accurately applicable to Karl Rove,
the un-elected co-leader of our noble nation. :-(
Old August 27th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Success or goal oriented (they are pretty much the same) is well
defined.

Well, it's a definition (thank you) of which I was not aware, and I
doubt I'm unique in that respect. The OP has expired on my server, so I
no longer have the context ("I said that the average individual's idea
of success oriented was...") but it seems all you're saying there is
"people have a mistaken notion of what X is".

But in terms of your definition (keep setting new goals), I don't think
the country was ever "success oriented", and I don't think "success
orientation" is necessarily a good thing.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 28th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:54:04 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Success or goal oriented (they are pretty much the same) is well
defined.

Well, it's a definition (thank you) of which I was not aware, and I
doubt I'm unique in that respect.

Not by a long shot..

The OP has expired on my server, so I

This is more than a little thread drift and the OP was probably well
over a month ago. This is a thread that is an off spring of a thread
that is an offspring of a thread...etc... IF you are willing to wade
through that much it should be available by doing a google search on
Ethanol Powered Aircraft. There have been at least three threads
since the original including at least one or more with the same name
some of which are due to the posters actually posting instead of
replying which of course starts a new thread and who knows which one
goes where.

no longer have the context ("I said that the average individual's idea
of success oriented was...") but it seems all you're saying there is
"people have a mistaken notion of what X is".

Actually it's most people compared to what the sociologists use for a
definition.

But in terms of your definition (keep setting new goals), I don't think
the country was ever "success oriented", and I don't think "success

As I recall it was phrased that we are no longer as success oriented
as we used to be, or at least that was the intent.

Many are success oriented without even knowing it. Most of us set
small goals each day, or week, or month. For some it's learning and
particularly with adult education and the retired.

The paragraph below is paraphrased from Cannon and Boglarsky (Wayne
State)

The goal setting is more related to a strong work ethic. Generally
these people are called "achievers", have a strong work ethic, are
family oriented, and have a strong sense of self worth.

IOW they believe in themselves, do their best, and strive to keep
improving "their station" in life.
orientation" is necessarily a good thing.

Extremism, even addiction, exists for most anything including
Conservatism, Liberalism, religion, sex, and .. well... you name it.

Some people are just not cut out for the psychological effort required
of goal setting. Others set goals too far in advance and end up
discouraged, or depressed while others become obsessed by it. None of
this is good.

Jose

Old August 28th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Actually it's most people compared to what the sociologists use for a
definition.

So you're saying most people misuse a technical term that resembles a
plain English expression. No surprise there.

Many are success oriented without even knowing it. Most of us set
small goals each day, or week, or month.

What would make them "goal oriented" or not, IMHO (and using the
technical term as best I can) would be whether =having= the goal is
important in itself (it doesn't matter what it is), or whether achieving
a particular result is important (which implies having that result as a
goal).

It's hard to achieve anything meaningful without setting (it as) a goal.
However, it is easy to set goals without achieving anything meaningful.

That said, having goals helps focus a person, or a nation, and focus is
important to achieving something. Goals are not the only way to focus -
having enemies allows one to focus hatred, and that is a very common
political tactic. This focus then reduces the field of viable goals to
be the ones that fit that hatred. I would not call such a situation
"goal oriented" or "success oriented".

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.