No more "Left Downwind"?

Old September 2nd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default No more "Left Downwind"?

Wizard of Draws wrote:

They very often lose sight of the forest for the trees.

They? Last I knew you were an instrument rated pilot, too. What's the
reason for the disassociation?

Is a _single word_ truly worth the bandwidth and time that will be used to
debate whether it's proper to use it?

For the most part Usenet bandwidth is cheap and time is what we make of it.
I didn't get the impression from Jay's post that he was looking to start a
debate. Nor do I expect to read one post in disagreement with Jay's point.

Instead, it seemed to me that Jay was simply sharing his incredulity. I
found the item newsworthy and, if nothing else, now won't be caught off
guard if I hear this mentioned at an FAA safety seminar.

--
Peter
Old September 2nd 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

"Darkwing" theducksmailATyahoo.com wrote:
I've been left downwind when a Business Jet decided to be "right" downwind
for the same runway even though the airport is left traffic.

Even more exciting is when you're on left downwind for 9 when somebody
announces they're entering a right downwind for 27 :-)
Old September 2nd 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_1_]

On 9/1/06 11:24 PM, in article
, "Peter R."
wrote:

Wizard of Draws wrote:

They very often lose sight of the forest for the trees.

They? Last I knew you were an instrument rated pilot, too. What's the
reason for the disassociation?

The mere fact that I've now contributed 3 posts to this silly thread proves
my point.

Is a _single word_ truly worth the bandwidth and time that will be used to
debate whether it's proper to use it?

For the most part Usenet bandwidth is cheap and time is what we make of it.
I didn't get the impression from Jay's post that he was looking to start a
debate. Nor do I expect to read one post in disagreement with Jay's point.

Jay asked us what we thought. Reason enough as any to start a debate here,
as Jay well knows, especially if it's about something trivial. The smaller
the nit, the longer the thread. Jeff's Law.

Instead, it seemed to me that Jay was simply sharing his incredulity. I
found the item newsworthy and, if nothing else, now won't be caught off
guard if I hear this mentioned at an FAA safety seminar.

Give 'em both barrels.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old September 2nd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Joe Johnson

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
"Darkwing" theducksmailATyahoo.com wrote:
I've been left downwind when a Business Jet decided to be "right"

downwind
for the same runway even though the airport is left traffic.

Even more exciting is when you're on left downwind for 9 when somebody
announces they're entering a right downwind for 27 :-)

Also fun is hearing someone announce they're departing 9 after you've
announced you're departing 27.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Wizard of Draws wrote:

Give 'em both barrels.

Need a little help finishing today's NY Times crossword puzzle: The clue
is "ill-tempered; grouchy; cross" and it is a five letter word beginning
with c. Ideas?

--
Peter
Old September 2nd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article YQ5Kg.1700$8J2.666@fed1read11,
"BTIZ" wrote:

"Every "local" pilot may know the traffic is left or right.."
But how many transients do not (1) check the charting (2) look it up in the
AFD or (3) pay attention to what everyone else is doing.

How is right or left traffic depicted on a Sectional Chart?
Old September 2nd 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

left is standard.. right traffic is on the chart with annotations for the
airport along with the airport elevation, lighting, runway length and
frequency.. as in

JEAN (0L7)
2832 *L 46 122.9
RP 2R 20R

or

Sky Ranch (3L2)
2599 - 33 123.0
RP 12

BT

Old September 2nd 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"john smith" wrote in message

How is right or left traffic depicted on a Sectional Chart?

RP

Old September 2nd 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

We've had right traffic to 17 for years and years at my home field and
the sectional had RP 17 for most of those years. Last year it was
inadvertantly left off the sectional but we continued to fly right
patterns to 17. In fact, I hadn't noticed it wasn't on my current
sectional at the time until a transient pointed it out to me. We
checked it against the old sectional posted on the wall of the FBO and
sure enough, they left it off on the newer sectional. So even if a
pilot goes by the sectional, at least in this instance, he would have
been going against local convention and a radio call indicating such
would help sort out any confusion. The sectional has since been
corrected and reads RP 17 again.

Old September 2nd 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"150flivver" wrote in message
oups.com...

We've had right traffic to 17 for years and years at my home field and
the sectional had RP 17 for most of those years. Last year it was
inadvertantly left off the sectional but we continued to fly right
patterns to 17. In fact, I hadn't noticed it wasn't on my current
sectional at the time until a transient pointed it out to me. We
checked it against the old sectional posted on the wall of the FBO and
sure enough, they left it off on the newer sectional. So even if a
pilot goes by the sectional, at least in this instance, he would have
been going against local convention and a radio call indicating such
would help sort out any confusion. The sectional has since been
corrected and reads RP 17 again.

What field?