MKIV "high tech" yaw string (tech note)

Old August 10th 15, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Default MKIV

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:03:03 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 4:09:11 AM UTC-7, PBA wrote:
So wait, were do I download the firmware update for the yaw string?

Why that's proprietary, updates and calibration are done in a lead lined clean room at the factory - $15 includes return shipping. But for about the same sum you can have the very latest firmware along with all brand new hardware from most of the better on-line glider accessory suppliers.

Or, you could drill a hole in the canopy . . .

bumper

Everyone needs to remember to use special bits when drilling through their plexi. http://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass_...tic_drill_bits

Have fun!
Craig
Old August 11th 15, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Laugh all you want. The square hole allows me to retract the Yaw String during high speed flight, resulting in significant drag reduction. I hear that the Mark V Yaw String includes "Speed Sense"TM Technology out of the box for this very purpose. At least, that's what I heard from a guy who knows a guys who....

P3
Old August 11th 15, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 6:34:49 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:03:03 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 4:09:11 AM UTC-7, PBA wrote:
So wait, were do I download the firmware update for the yaw string?

Why that's proprietary, updates and calibration are done in a lead lined clean room at the factory - $15 includes return shipping. But for about the same sum you can have the very latest firmware along with all brand new hardware from most of the better on-line glider accessory suppliers.

Or, you could drill a hole in the canopy . . .

bumper

Everyone needs to remember to use special bits when drilling through their plexi. http://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass_...tic_drill_bits

Have fun!
Craig

Any machinist knows you don't drill a square hole. It has to be broached.
Jeeeeez! What kind if misinformation are you guys trying to spread?
UH
Old August 11th 15, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

Old August 11th 15, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 08/10/2015 7:45 PM, Papa3 wrote:
Laugh all you want. The square hole allows me to retract the Yaw String during high speed flight, resulting in significant drag reduction. I hear that the Mark V Yaw String includes "Speed Sense"TM Technology out of the box for this very purpose. At least, that's what I heard from a guy who knows a guys who....

P3

I simply installed mine on the inside of the canopy, this offered the
best drag reduction possible. It also works as a rudimentary turn and
bank indicator - shh, don't tell the C/D or the R/C...
Old August 11th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pstrzel

Default MKIV "high tech" yaw string (tech note)

Has the problem with the yaw string not being coordinated with inputs been addressed? It doesn't stay coordinated with either rudder or aileron inputs. It only works when both are applied somewhat simultaneously. Not beginner friendly at all!

There should be something like a beginner or intermediate setting on every yaw string.
Old August 11th 15, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

I fitted a turn-o-matic feature to my yaw string. It's water-activated. Just fly fast through rain and hey presto! All your turns for the next 5 minutes become perfectly co-ordinated.

Send no money now, folks!
Old August 11th 15, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sounds like mid winter "cabin fever" here..... but in August (in the northern hemisphere)......

Maybe some need to get a life, or a different job......

----- ;-)

[Picking, not slamming....]

Old August 12th 15, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A job? No time for such trivialities UH! Too busy scouring eBay for gliding paraphernalia. As I've found the turbulator effect of the Mk IV to be a little too effective in raising the string into the free stream airflow, I've decided a constant charge of static electricity on the canopy should get my wobble dampening a.k.a. string friction juuuuuust right. All I need now is a Van der graaf generator and a slightly taller canopy in which to fit it.

CJ