Various ATC questions

Old November 26th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Various ATC questions

A few questions on ATC:

1. If I am told to "depart XYZ heading 150" while IFR, and the last
heading given to me by ATC does not quite take me to an intercept of
the XYZ VOR, should I turn to intercept the VOR? Should I wait for
ATC to tell me to turn directly towards the VOR? Should I turn and
apprise ATC of my turn? Or should I just intercept the 150 radial
from the VOR, and then turn to follow that? The last time this
happened, I just silently turned to intercept the VOR (I wasn't far
off, and I assumed that ATC wanted me vectored towards the VOR to
begin with, since it was in my flight plan and I had previously been
vectored in that general direction), but I don't know if this was
right.

2. If I am VFR in Class B, on a transition route, are altitude and
heading at my discretion (within the limits of the transition route)
UNLESS ATC directs me to a specific altitude and/or heading, or do I
always wait for ATC to provide exact instructions?

3. If ATC says "proceed direct to XYZ," and XYZ is a waypoint in my
IFR flight plan, do I assume that I can resume my own navigation after
reaching XYZ, or do I maintain the same course and altitude until
otherwise instructed, even after reaching XYZ?

4. If an IFR departure plate says "fly runway heading, then vectors to
fix (or) XYZ," I take that to mean that I continue on the runway
heading after take-off, until ATC tells me to turn towards some other
fix. Is this correct? If the fix is on my flight plan, do I
automatically resume my own navigation after reaching it, or do I
maintain my heading until ATC says otherwise? If the fix is on the
plate, and the plate says "then own navigation," do I resume my own
navigation after reaching the fix, or do I wait for ATC instructions?

As you can see, I'm still confused as to when I must wait for ATC
instructions to change altitude or heading, and when I'm at my
discretion to do so (either without restriction, as in VFR, or
according to my flight plan in IFR). Recently I went too far in a
Class B airspace in my sim because I had been told which runway I was
being given, but I had not been told to turn, and I thought I had to
continue in the same direction until ATC explicitly gave me a new
heading. So I'm still confused.

Old November 26th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

A few questions on ATC:

Mx quote on another post.

don't call pilots on their mistakes, as a general rule, in order to
avoid embarrassment; but I do silently write them off.

Please don't waste your time answering his question.

Thanks!

Allen

Old November 26th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

A,

Please don't waste your time answering his question.

I hope it works. He has shown such disdain for this group in his last
few posts that it is hard to believe anyone will answer, but so far,
someone always has.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

A few questions on ATC:

If you are confused by ATC instructions, you should ask ATC to clarify.
Old November 26th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon Kraus

If I were a betting man I would bet that someone will take his bait.
Matter of fact, I KNOW someone will...

Jon

A,

Old November 26th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Jon Kraus wrote in news:ePjah.34885$OE1.32229
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

If I were a betting man I would bet that someone will take his bait.
Matter of fact, I KNOW someone will...

Jon

So far so good :-) Other then our non aviation heads ups, no other replies
to him has made it to my server.

Can only keep our fingers crossed that it continues for this and future
"questions".......

Allen
Old November 26th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

If you are confused by ATC instructions, you should ask ATC to clarify.

In theory, yes, and sometimes I do. But they seem to be awfully busy
at times, and I hate to ask them to explain things when there are a
hundred other planes in their airspace.

Of course, in my case, it's simulation, so we do have more flexibility
to ask questions if we don't understand--learning is part of the
experience for most users. But the busy factor still kicks in when
the virtual skies are crowded (last night I spent an hour on the
ground in Boston waiting to start my flight and the chatter was
constant).

Old November 26th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon Kraus

Yup.. So far so good.... I see him getting frustrated because nobody is
taking a lick of his troll-bait, so he is responding out of desperation:

"last night I spent an hour on the ground in Boston waiting to start my
flight and the chatter was constant." I wonder if he makes real airplane
noises too. :-)

Jon

Old November 26th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TxSrv

Tony wrote:
pause the simulation, check the various references, resume the
simulation.

Better yet, just ignore ATC within MSFS, or any sim weenie on the
net playing ATC, and use the slew controls to get back on course.
According to one's filed IFR flight plan, which ATC doesn't
really have, I believe.

F--