Towplane needed at Marfa MAR 29 - APR 6, 2008

Old February 27th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default Towplane needed at Marfa MAR 29 - APR 6, 2008

Hello North America!
Our annual Marfa (Texas) Thermal & Wave Camp may need another
towplane. Being hospitable Texans, we've found it hard to say "no" to
pilots wanting to fly at Marfa from March 29 - April 6, 2008, so now
were over-subscribed. Last year 20 sailplanes enjoyed our spring
soaring, and this year it looks like more than 35 will need tows each
day. We've stopped registration as we realized that we'll need another
towplane. The added activity of the National Landmark of Soaring
dedication on Friday & Saturday April 4 & 5 will also increase the
demand for tows at Marfa.

Towpilots: Please email Burt at marfaglidersATaolDOTcom to discuss
your qualifications and compensation. Marfa Airport (KMRF) is
located on a grassy plateau near the Davis Mountains in southwest
Texas. Airport elevation is almost 5,000' msl. Two paved runways
5,200' and 6,300' long. Marfa is about 150 miles southeast of El
Paso. Find us on the El Paso sectional aero chart.

Aggressive towpilots who do wingovers and dive down a second after
they "think" the sailplane has released need not apply. We have
enough cowboys out here already!

The Marfa Camp is not a contest, nor a training camp. It is a relaxed,
fun gathering where soaring pilots can make "personal best" flights in
their own sailplanes, primarily for altitude gains and OLC area XC.
Strong southwest winds in springtime generate wave off the mountains
surrounding Marfa. We thermal up to the wave, and our "wave window" is
to 30,000' msl. Soaring legend Dick Johnson is our mentor. Dick
started this Camp many years ago so southern states pilots could have
an opportunity to fly early spring wave in west Texas.

Besides the spring camp week, we now fly year-round at Marfa.

Burt
Marfa, Texas USA
www.flygliders.com

Towplane needed for Albert Lea Soaring Contest Paul Remde Soaring 0 May 12th 07 03:24 AM
Marfa, TX Guest CFIG needed [email protected] Soaring 0 May 10th 05 06:39 PM
Marfa, TX Guest CFIG needed [email protected] Soaring 0 May 10th 05 02:59 PM
Towplane performance Roy Soaring 25 April 8th 05 12:59 AM
towplane mirrors Curt Cole Soaring 3 May 28th 04 02:40 PM