FAA is no longer mailing paper AD's

Old June 30th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default FAA is no longer mailing paper AD's

USA aircraft owners. A note to remind you if you have not already
heard:

As of March 1, 2010, the FAA is no longer mailing paper copies of
Airworthiness Directives (AD's) and Special Airworthiness Information
Bulletins (SAIB's) to aircraft owners.
Paper copies are now only available by paid subscription.
E-Mail copies are free but only if the aircraft owner registers for
the service at the FAA Regulatory Guidance Library at http://rgl.faa.gov
(Note there is no "www".)

Owners must register their specific make and model of aircraft,
including engine and propeller if applicable, at this website.

This came to light with the April 2010 Blanik L-23 Glider Elevator
Hinge AD, where it was assumed owners would receive a mailed paper
copy of the AD from the FAA, as in the past.
As a Blanik L-23 owner, I never received a paper copy of this critical
AD, but received the e-mail version because I had registered for the
new e-mail service in 2009.

If this is old information to you, then ignore this message. The Pony
Express mail has a long ride to southwest Texas.

Burt Compton, SSA Master Flight Instructor, FAA Designated Pilot
Examiner
Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, west Texas USA
website: www.flygliders.com
Old June 30th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 29, 5:53*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
[...]

Great tool, about time.

Thanks for posting,

Frank Whiteley
Old June 30th 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Great tool, about time.

Thanks for posting,

Frank Whiteley

However I know some west Texans who own older airplanes and no e-mail
capability.
The guvmint agencies now assume we are all hooked up to the internet,
but some folks are not, or don't check e-mail very often, or simply
prefer to be "off the grid."

Old June 30th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 29, 9:19*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Great tool, about time.

Thanks for posting,

Frank Whiteley

However I know some west Texans who own older airplanes and no e-mail
capability.
The guvmint agencies now assume we are all hooked up to the internet,
but some folks are not, or don't check e-mail very often, or simply
prefer to be "off the grid."

Burt,

You are quite right, great tool for me, but not everyone. The Internet
is not a panacea, although penetration has reached that of the
electric dynamo (.com was premature). That said, there are many free
e-mail choices, generally accessible at the local lending library even
though it may be 50 miles for some.

This type of decision is a bit like the 121.5 FCC decision I suppose.

Among the few governmental contractors I know, next contract round
will take in 10-25% pay cuts, so clearly the Fed is looking hard at
cost saving and there are low-ball bids out there. Of course, a
10-20% pay cut across the board is probably not on the table for
bureaucrats and congress, though it should be. Deflation is a painful
process on a personal level.

Reminds me of when the USPS took over from the US Post Office. Still
not a good idea on several levels.

Two new winch solo pilots today in Colorado.

Frank Whiteley

Old June 30th 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Burt:

I don't see the L-23 on the list at the FAA site. How did you sign up
to get the L-23 ADs?

Greg

Old June 30th 10, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 29, 9:44*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

One the subscribe page

GliderAircraft Industries a.s.L 23 Super - Blanik
Old June 30th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 6/29/2010 9:04 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:44 pm, Greg wrote:
Burt:

I don't see the L-23 on the list at the FAA site. How did you sign up
to get the L-23 ADs?

Greg

On the subscribe page

GliderAircraft Industries a.s.L 23 Super - Blanik

Ah, so it is not under LET (where you find the L-33), but is under
Aircraft Industries a.s. The FAA doesn't make it easy . . .

Old June 30th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

website:www.flygliders.com

One the subscribe page

GliderAircraft Industries a.s.L 23 Super - Blanik

Weird. The only LS6 listed is the "c" model and no others.

Tony LS6-b "6N"
Old June 30th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 6/30/2010 6:29 AM, Tony V wrote:

website:www.flygliders.com

One the subscribe page

GliderAircraft Industries a.s.L 23 Super - Blanik

Weird. The only LS6 listed is the "c" model and no others.

Tony LS6-b "6N"

Only the "c" was type certificated in the US, and so the FAA will only
issue ADs for the "c"?
Old June 30th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jun 30, 9:24*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 6/30/2010 6:29 AM, Tony V wrote:

website:www.flygliders.com

One the subscribe page

GliderAircraft Industries a.s.L 23 Super - Blanik

Weird. The only LS6 listed is the "c" model and no others.

Tony LS6-b "6N"

Only the "c" was type certificated in the US, and so the FAA will only
issue ADs for the "c"?

Although you usually expect to see this more via an SAIB for non-TC
aircraft I don't think this is always true. The FAA appears to on
occasion issue ADs for not TC aircraft, especially if other TC type
are also affected. e.g. AD 88-14-02 covers the non TC DG-300 and other
DG gliders.

Darryl

Neukom Elfe S4a AD's Derek Wilson Soaring 0 April 23rd 04 11:11 AM
AD's on Experimental A/C moby Home Built 12 April 4th 04 03:32 AM
AD's for a Piper Warrior Jim Owning 2 February 10th 04 01:49 PM
Listing of applicable AD's James and Joy Eary Owning 8 December 23rd 03 04:59 AM
Rallye/Koliber AD's and opinions R. Wubben Owning 2 October 16th 03 05:39 AM