Ownership and passengers

Old October 11th 03, 02:00 PM
Mike Spera

When you say they "nixed" the idea, do you mean they refused to
reimburse you for that trip? Not sure why they would not pay your
mileage as if you drove your car. Maybe you meant they were not in favor
of you using that mode of transportation.

I'm curious to what waiver language they want. If they want you to
promise not to sue them while traveling on business using your plane, I
would look at the particulars to be sure they were very specific and
detailed. You may not want to absolve them of any and all liability in
the fine print.

I find it curious that some company insurance policies exclude coverage
on you while you pilot your airplane. However, chain smokers, skydivers,
people who drive race cars and demolition cars as hobbies, and other
high risk activities are covered. At the same time, these very policies
usually double your coverage if you fly commercially on business. It
seems odd, but I am not in the business of calculating risks. The
private pilot thing appears to be outdated prejudice rather than
objective risk number crunching.

Good Luck,

Mike

EDR wrote:
In article , Greg Hopp
wrote:

Yesterday I planned to fly to a meeting that was 105 nm away. I was
going to take a colleague with me. I was not planning on asking him
to pay 1/2 my flying expenses, but I was planning on turning in my
mileage and tiedown fee for reimbursement, as I would otherwise have
driven my car to the meeting and turned in that mileage.
Is this legal?
(BTW, my company nixed the idea on liability concerns. They want a
waiver for next time but were otherwise in favor of the idea.)

Gregg, back in the late 1980's early 1990's, NBAA (National Business
Aircraft Association) created a package of documents and advice that
explained how to approach you company officials and obtain permission
to use and be reimbursed for use of personal aircraft for business
related travel. I don't know if they still offer it, but you may want
to contact them. If they don't have anything you can use, contact me, I
still have one or two buried somewhere in a box that I can give you.
Do you fly out of Don Scott?

The Worlds Uncensored News Source