Airspeed of military planes

Old January 25th 04, 05:08 PM
Jim Baker

Yes, kind of. It's such a fast, heavy airplane that we use yarn rather than
string. ;-)

JB

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
"Jim Baker" wrote

You're right Frijoles, in the Bone the correct answer for "What airspeed

do
you fly on final" is "I don't know/care. I'm flying 7 AoA as required

by
the Dash One".

Is the AOA indicator a piece of string like Wilbur and Orville had?

There is however, a chart of airspeed and gross weights that
every pilot has and, IAW the Landing Checklist, every final must have

an
airspeed computed.

That's in case the AOA indicator goes T.U. :-)

Old January 25th 04, 05:43 PM
Frijoles

Good job JB, you compute an airspeed for the Bone. And so your point
is...*what* about landing the Harrier?

"Jim Baker" wrote in message
news
You're right Frijoles, in the Bone the correct answer for "What airspeed

do
you fly on final" is "I don't know/care. I'm flying 7 AoA as required by
the Dash One". There is however, a chart of airspeed and gross weights

that
every pilot has and, IAW the Landing Checklist, every final must have an
airspeed computed.

JB

"Frijoles" wrote in message
ink.net...
Nozzles aft, Harrier approach speed will be in the 155kt +/-range. At

20
nozzles and auto flaps(normal for IFR final), you're somewhat slower but

be honest I don't recall the airspeed because my primary reference was
always AoA. Depending on the type of landing you intend to make, once
you're in the visual environment, you transition to a higher nozzle

angle
(60-75 depending...), and in some instances, STOL flaps where the flaps
program automatically as a function of nozzle angle. "On speed" for a
fixed-nozzle slow landing is around 110kts. The *very* slow rolling
landings you occasionaly see are called rolling vertical landings -- 60

kts
ground speed is the target but the transition to that speed will usually

be
over the runway, not on approach final.

"Darkwing Duck" wrote in message

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote in message
s.com...
Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you have

been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit slow

for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters fly

in
the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly much

fast
among civilian planes.

So how fast is short final in a F-14 or whatever? Always wanted to

know.

Old January 25th 04, 05:48 PM
Jim Baker

Sorry, I thought it was clear I was speaking about AoA to fly final and land
the Bone, as you said you use in the Harrier.

"Frijoles" wrote in message
ink.net...
Good job JB, you compute an airspeed for the Bone. And so your point
is...*what* about landing the Harrier?

news

Old January 25th 04, 06:22 PM
Leadfoot

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

"IBM" wrote in message

Back in 1968 my dad took us to Disneyland.
We flew in to LAX and had some time before the bus left for our
hotel.
I wandered along outside the terminal and was watching the aircraft.
Saw a 747 in action for the first time. I figured it was taxiing

into
position ... then it rotated.

I think your family trip was a bit later than that. First flight of the
B747 was February 9, 1969, it entered service in January 1970.

They operated out of Vandenberg AFB for initial aircrew training in 1969.
Quite possible they landed at LAX for training.

Old January 25th 04, 06:32 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Leadfoot" wrote in message

They operated out of Vandenberg AFB for initial aircrew training in 1969.
Quite possible they landed at LAX for training.

He said the family trip to Disneyland was in 1968.

Old January 25th 04, 06:48 PM
Frijoles

Roger that...

I was ready to dig out my copy of the FARs dealing with powered lift .

"Jim Baker" wrote in message
Sorry, I thought it was clear I was speaking about AoA to fly final and

land
the Bone, as you said you use in the Harrier.

"Frijoles" wrote in message
ink.net...
Good job JB, you compute an airspeed for the Bone. And so your point
is...*what* about landing the Harrier?

news

Old January 25th 04, 06:48 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Leadfoot" wrote in message

They operated out of Vandenberg AFB for initial aircrew training in

1969.
Quite possible they landed at LAX for training.

He said the family trip to Disneyland was in 1968.

So IBM was lying, not any different than most of the trolls of ram.

Old January 25th 04, 10:52 PM
John R Weiss

"S. Sampson" wrote03...

Is the AOA indicator a piece of string like Wilbur and Orville had?

No, but the yaw indicator on the F-14 is!

Old January 26th 04, 12:53 AM
Frijoles

I've known generally what (the string) was for a long time but never
bothered to ask when it was referenced (primarily)? High alpha stuff?
Landing pattern? Single engine would be an obvious case...anything else?
More for "departure prevention," TF 30 "management" or both?

"S. Sampson" wrote03...

Old January 26th 04, 03:20 AM
John R Weiss

"Frijoles" wrote...

No, but the yaw indicator on the F-14 is!

I've known generally what (the string) was for a long time but never
bothered to ask when it was referenced (primarily)? High alpha stuff?
Landing pattern? Single engine would be an obvious case...anything else?
More for "departure prevention," TF 30 "management" or both?

I never flew the Turkey, but probably all of the above.

I flew gliders with them, and they replaced the turn balance ball -- "step on
the knot".