Becker vs Microair

Old August 19th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dixie Sierra

Default Becker vs Microair

Must be new to Rev P.

I decided on the Microair. I don't know if I'll regret it... but I'll
sure find out. Cost was not the only factor, or even the deciding
factor, but it was a factor. With the money I'll save, I can buy a
PCAS (almost). There's at least one Microair in the local area that
seems to work fine.

6.1.2 Monitor Function
By holding down the remote memory button or toggle key for 3
seconds and then releasing, the M760 will enable the monitor
function. Both active and standby frequencies are monitored at
the same time for a signal. An ‘M’ character will oscillate up
and down to indicate that the monitor function is active.
A signal can be received on either the active or the standby
frequency. While receiving a signal on the
active frequency the standby channel is NOT monitored. While receiving
a signal on the standby
frequency the active channel is periodically monitored. If a signal is
found on the active frequency the
M760 will revert to the active frequency. After a signal has been
received the M760 will return to
monitoring both frequencies.
IMPORTANT NOTE
The user can only transmit on the active frequency. If the PTT is
keyed the
radio will transmit on the active frequency only.
Monitor mode can be cancelled by pressing the remote memory button or
toggle key briefly. The ‘M’
character is no longer displayed at the right hand end of the display.
If the mode key is pressed to move
to channel mode, the monitor function is dis-engaged.

Old August 19th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 19, 8:41*am, Dixie Sierra wrote:
Must be new to Rev P.

I decided on the Microair. I don't know if I'll regret it...

I doubt if you'll regret it. Many of the early problems were caused by
poor contact between the microcontroller and its socket. Later
version used a better quality socket and the early ones can be made
fully function by following a service bulletin that improves the
contact with the original socket. It an easy fix that any electronics
amateur would be capable of doing. (A while ago Microaire prevented
public access to the SBs but I have PDFs if anyone needs one)

Thanks for the information on the dual scan mode. I don't have that
but it sounds like are useful upgrade.

I don't have to persuade you since you already decided on Microaire,
but I'd never want a glider radio that didn't have pilot adjustable
squelch level. It allows monitoring of safety calls from close
gliders while shutting off the distant chatterers. Break the squelch
before calling ground crew when out on course.

Andy

Microair 720 f/s [email protected] Soaring 0 October 26th 06 03:39 AM
Microair 760 Ian K Soaring 2 August 29th 06 12:59 PM
Parts for sale Microair radio and Microair transponder User Home Built 2 December 15th 05 12:23 AM
Becker AR 4201 or Microair 760 Transceiver Steve B Soaring 23 September 15th 03 06:32 PM
Microair vs Becker Ian McPhee Soaring 0 August 30th 03 09:45 PM