Could training at a towered airport have prevented the ADIZ bust

Old May 12th 05, 03:55 AM
airman

Default Could training at a towered airport have prevented the ADIZ bust

The CNN pilot-reporter, Miles O'Brien, made a good point. These guys took
off from an uncontrolled airfield, implying that they were not adept with
ordinary ATC as would pilots be who were trained or who are resident at a
Class D or C towered field. I remember how difficult it was to train at a
Class D airport, wishing that I could have made my early training hours
easier at an un-towered field. Now I'm grateful for all the angst and
mike-fright I went through and eventually overcame.

Old May 12th 05, 04:02 AM
Mike W.

I understood one was an instructor, the other a student? Not the kind of
instructor I would want to learn from.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

. ..

Old May 12th 05, 04:18 AM
George Patterson

Mike W. wrote:
I understood one was an instructor, the other a student?

No. One was a private pilot and the other a student.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 12th 05, 04:38 AM
BTIZ

I don't see how that would have helped with cross country navigation skills
around the DC ADIZ
BT

. ..

Old May 12th 05, 04:52 AM
Dave Stadt

"airman" wrote in message
. ..
The CNN pilot-reporter, Miles O'Brien, made a good point. These guys took
off from an uncontrolled airfield, implying that they were not adept with
ordinary ATC as would pilots be who were trained or who are resident at a
Class D or C towered field.

That's absolute bull crap. I fly out of an uncontrolled airport as do
probably 100 or more airline and other professional pilots pilots. Are they
not adept at talking to ATC because they fly out of an uncontrolled airport?
That's got to be one of the dumbest statements ever. But then leave it to
CNN.

Old May 12th 05, 04:54 AM
Jack Allison

airman wrote:
The CNN pilot-reporter, Miles O'Brien, made a good point. These guys took
off from an uncontrolled airfield, implying that they were not adept with
ordinary ATC as would pilots be who were trained or who are resident at a
Class D or C towered field.

IMHO, this is a big assumption. Of course, coming from a CNN reporter,
it figures as such. Just because someone flies from a non-towered field
has nothing to do with how adept they are at radio skills. My
experience was learning at a non-towered field and I talk to ATC and go
in/out of towered airports regularly. Sure, some folks are lame on the
radio, whether talking to ATC or broadcasting blind on CTAF...but just
because they flew from a non-towered field means nothing.

I remember how difficult it was to train at a
Class D airport, wishing that I could have made my early training hours
easier at an un-towered field. Now I'm grateful for all the angst and
mike-fright I went through and eventually overcame.

I'm sure that working from a towered field from the get-go makes you
more comfortable on the radio faster...but since one of these guys was a
private pilot, he should have the proper radio skills and be able to
operate in the vicinity of the ADIZ or he should tear up his ticket.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old May 12th 05, 05:00 AM
Friendly Skies

airman wrote:
The CNN pilot-reporter, Miles O'Brien, made a good point. These guys

took
off from an uncontrolled airfield, implying that they were not adept

with
ordinary ATC as would pilots be who were trained or who are resident at

Class D or C towered field.

IMHO, this is a big assumption. Of course, coming from a CNN reporter,
it figures as such.

O'Brian has stated before on the air that he's a pilot.

Old May 12th 05, 05:05 AM
George Patterson

airman wrote:
The CNN pilot-reporter, Miles O'Brien, made a good point. These guys took
off from an uncontrolled airfield, implying that they were not adept with
ordinary ATC as would pilots be who were trained or who are resident at a
Class D or C towered field.

All the talking in the world won't help when the radio's busted. O'Brien's full
of it.

Old May 12th 05, 05:20 AM
H.P.

If anything will bust someone's ticket, it'll be that the student was
carrying a passenger. Or was the PPL the PIC?

I must say, the sight of one sitting on the ground cuffed while the other
was cuffed prone, flat on the runway made me sick and angry. It was
unnecessary.

Old May 12th 05, 05:31 AM
Jay Beckman

"airman" wrote in message
. ..
The CNN pilot-reporter, Miles O'Brien, made a good point. These guys took
off from an uncontrolled airfield, implying that they were not adept with
ordinary ATC as would pilots be who were trained or who are resident at a
Class D or C towered field. I remember how difficult it was to train at a
Class D airport, wishing that I could have made my early training hours
easier at an un-towered field. Now I'm grateful for all the angst and
mike-fright I went through and eventually overcame.

In light of the fact that this entire discussion regards accuracy in the
media, this is NOT what Miles O'Brien said.

In his report O'Brien was attempting to point out that if you depart from an
uncontrolled airfield and you fly in a direction which takes you toward
uncontrolled airspace, you can fly a long way without talking to anyone. He
was trying to contrast the type of flying you can do in Class G/E airspace
without having to actually try and explain the different classes of
airspace. By comparison, he characterized Class B as "airspace around the
countries biggest and busiest airports..." He did not suggest (IMO) in
anyway that flying from an uncontrolled airport makes you more dangerous or
less competent.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Spin Training Captain Wubba Piloting 25 April 12th 04 02:11 PM
Here's the Recompiled List of 82 Aircraft Accessible Aviation Museums! Jay Honeck Home Built 18 January 20th 04 04:02 PM
Aviation Conspiracy: Bush Backs Down On Tower Privatization Issue!!! Bill Mulcahy General Aviation 3 October 1st 03 05:39 AM
Airport Manager position, Fitchburg, MA David Reinhart Piloting 6 August 12th 03 11:46 PM