ADIZ incursion - where were the lasers?

Old May 14th 05, 02:18 PM
Ron Natalie

William W. Plummer wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

This is the Visual Warning System (VWS). It was discussed in the NASA
Safety Newsletter.

My own take on it is that if a pilot is not communicating and doesn't
know where he is, he isn't likely to see the VWS or know what it means.
The CFI should have to redo all his courses and flying, i.e. requalify.

There was no CFI involved. The FAA is peruing revokation of the
PRIVATE PILOT's certificate.
Old May 14th 05, 03:20 PM
Dave Stadt

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

This is the Visual Warning System (VWS). It was discussed in the NASA
Safety Newsletter.

My own take on it is that if a pilot is not communicating and doesn't
know where he is, he isn't likely to see the VWS or know what it means.
The CFI should have to redo all his courses and flying, i.e. requalify.

There was no CFI.

Anybody know what color the lasers are? I heard red and green which seems
terribly confusing. Red means stop, green means go. Not a good combination
in my book.

Old May 14th 05, 03:25 PM
Morgans

"Dave Stadt" wrote

Anybody know what color the lasers are? I heard red and green which seems
terribly confusing. Red means stop, green means go. Not a good

combination
in my book.

Sure it does! Red means stop coming this way, and green means start going
the other way!

I think the alternating is meant to rule out the chance that it is an idiot
playing games, and I think red and green are chosen because that is the two
colors of popular lasers out there, of appropriate power output. Just my
opinion.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 14th 05, 07:59 PM
Charles O'Rourke

Dave Stadt wrote:
Anybody know what color the lasers are? I heard red and green which seems
terribly confusing. Red means stop, green means go. Not a good combination
in my book.

When a tower uses light signals, don't they use alternating red and
green to represent "exercise extreme caution"? Seems like that should
put an automatic "oops something is wrong" in the pilot's mind if the
plane is near the ADIZ.

Charles.
-N8385U
Old May 15th 05, 02:16 AM
Ron Natalie

Dave Stadt wrote:
..

Anybody know what color the lasers are? I heard red and green which seems
terribly confusing. Red means stop, green means go. Not a good combination
in my book.

Two red flashes followed by a green. There's a video on it on AOPA's
website.
Old May 16th 05, 03:16 AM
Jay Somerset

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:16:21 -0400, Ron Natalie wrote:

Dave Stadt wrote:
.

Anybody know what color the lasers are? I heard red and green which seems
terribly confusing. Red means stop, green means go. Not a good combination
in my book.

Two red flashes followed by a green. There's a video on it on AOPA's
website.

Where? I looked, but couldn't find any obvioous link to it.
--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Old May 16th 05, 12:00 PM
Peter Clark

Dave Stadt wrote:
.

Anybody know what color the lasers are? I heard red and green which seems
terribly confusing. Red means stop, green means go. Not a good combination
in my book.

Two red flashes followed by a green. There's a video on it on AOPA's
website.

Where? I looked, but couldn't find any obvioous link to it.

They have a story about it in the news section.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...0414laser.html is a
direct link to the article which has a click-here for the video.

Old May 16th 05, 11:19 PM
Blueskies

"Peter Clark" wrote in message

They have a story about it in the news section.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...0414laser.html is a
direct link to the article which has a click-here for the video.

What does it look like during the daytime?

Old May 17th 05, 02:04 AM
Ron Natalie

Blueskies wrote:
"Peter Clark" wrote in message

They have a story about it in the news section.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...0414laser.html is a
direct link to the article which has a click-here for the video.

What does it look like during the daytime?

About the same...if you dig through the article you'll find a still
shot of the laser during the day (this is what I used to fix it's
position, it's either on the FAA headquarters building downtown or
on the building one block west of it). Next time I'm downtown I'm
going to have to see if I can find it.

---

The XM comedy channel was doing a promo for a DC-area nightclub act
and said "Well if you're in the DC Area and you're not flying a small
plane, come down to...
Old May 17th 05, 07:56 AM
John Lakesford

Let's just look at that issue, revoking the errant pilots license. Let's say
it is revoked for life, or maybe 5 years or so. Let's say this guy doesn't
renew his medical and decides to forgo his BFR.

Add to that maybe he get's arrested tomorrow and subsequently has his
drivers license suspended.

What is to stop this guy from firing up an airplane and flying it about?

I wonder if the FAA/TSA and the SS (Secret Service) have considered this
possibility? It looks like this means that all this tom-foolery about
super-duper drivers licenses and magic photo pilot certificates means
exactly nothing.

When the security people do finally figure this out, you will see the
restrictions from hell. As someone noted here previously, there is nothing
in the Constitution of this country that gives us a "right" to fly about
aimlessly.
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
William W. Plummer wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

This is the Visual Warning System (VWS). It was discussed in the NASA
Safety Newsletter.

My own take on it is that if a pilot is not communicating and doesn't
know where he is, he isn't likely to see the VWS or know what it means.
The CFI should have to redo all his courses and flying, i.e. requalify.

There was no CFI involved. The FAA is peruing revokation of the PRIVATE
PILOT's certificate.

Busted ADIZ - What Now? Scott Lowrey Piloting 25 August 24th 04 06:13 AM
Regarding the Subject of the ADIZ and Other Restrictions Following 9-11 Larry Smith Home Built 1 November 22nd 03 12:31 AM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM
that Mooney in DC ADIZ Cub Driver Piloting 10 November 13th 03 09:15 PM
DC-VA-MD ADIZ Marissa Long Piloting 2 November 11th 03 09:36 PM