A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Commercial Written exam. Will airplane test (CAX) cover requirementsfor Glider (CGX)?

Old September 6th 16, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vtcyclist
external usenet poster

Default Commercial Written exam. Will airplane test (CAX) cover requirementsfor Glider (CGX)?

I am studying for my commercial written and practical. Glider first. Power a bit later. Does anyone know if taking the airplane written covers the requirements for glider written? I'd prefer to just take one written if possible. It's a time and money thing.

I searched the web and FARs. Not been able to find anything that explains it in terms my feeble mind can comprehend.

Thanks.

DG
Old September 6th 16, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Commercial Written exam. Will airplane test (CAX) coverrequirements for Glider (CGX)?

On Monday, 5 September 2016 20:04:05 UTC-4, vtcyclist wrote:
I am studying for my commercial written and practical. Glider first. Power a bit later. Does anyone know if taking the airplane written covers the requirements for glider written? I'd prefer to just take one written if possible. It's a time and money thing.

I searched the web and FARs. Not been able to find anything that explains it in terms my feeble mind can comprehend.

Thanks.

DG

NO
Old September 6th 16, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Commercial Written exam. Will airplane test (CAX) coverrequirements for Glider (CGX)?

Hmmmmmm........ Sorta depends, if you take a comm power written and then PASS the check ride, you don't need a comm written to do a comm glider check ride (unless regs have changed since I last looked....).
Key is, take the comm written and then pass the check ride, then a glider comm is an add on, no written needed.
Old September 6th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Presuming you are starting with Airplane Private. If you go Glider Commercial- Airplane Commercial you will need to take both written tests. If you get the Airplane Commercial certificate(written + check ride) first you will not need to take the Glider Commercial written just the add-on check ride.. Avoiding an extra written test probably isn't worth delaying the Glider Commercial. You could add-on Private Glider, take the Commercial Airplane written and check ride then take a Glider Commercial check ride, that swaps a written test for an extra check ride. I'd rather take both written tests. The absolute minimum test hoop jumping would be to fly gliders with a solo endorsement until you have Airplane Commercial then add-on glider commercial. Some would frown on that, depends on your goals. Not sure where this info lives might be in the relevant Practical Test Standards, now I'm going to have to go looking...
Old September 6th 16, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...er_8080_6G.pdf The answers lie within. P. 35/5-13
Old September 6th 16, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vtcyclist
external usenet poster

Thanks all. I am a Private license holder. And knew that I did not need to take the private written to add on my glider rating. Which let me think that the commercial glider written might be a subset of the commercial airplane written. Thus my question.

I guess I am off to pay the testing center twice.