Early Oshkosh Planning

Old November 28th 04, 01:04 AM
Paul Dow

Default Early Oshkosh Planning

I generally try to alternate years going to Oshkosh and Sun N' Fun. For
the Winconsin trip, that makes a problem with getting a hotel room since
I don't keep the room every year.

I've been told that to get a hotel room, I should call right after I
finish kissing my girlfriend after watching the Times Square ball drop
on New Years Eve. That's when they become available.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which hotels to call? I'm trying to
avoid the Motel 6 class room for $250/night. I know there's no avoiding
high prices, but I want to skip the worst of the gouging. In the past
I've stayed in Appleton twice, Wautoma (45 miles west) (Really good
pizza) and Green Bay (Really good & cheap shrimp at the Raddisson bar
there).

I know the camping experience is something to consider, but since nearby
Appleton holds the all-time US record for highest dew point (101 Deg -
July 13, 1995), I really appreciate air conditioning after a long day of
walking around. The dorms in Appleton may be a good option, since I
read they are air conditioned.

I would also add the requirement for being close to a Culver's
Butterburgers, but those are numerous in the area.

Thanks for any assistance,
Paul
Old November 28th 04, 01:40 AM
UltraJohn

Paul Dow wrote:
I know the camping experience is something to consider, but since nearby
Appleton holds the all-time US record for highest dew point (101 Deg -
July 13, 1995), I really appreciate air conditioning after a long day of
walking around. The dorms in Appleton may be a good option, since I
read they are air conditioned.

I would also add the requirement for being close to a Culver's
Butterburgers, but those are numerous in the area.

Thanks for any assistance,
Paul

Let's see, since the record high temp in Appleton for July 13th (also
checked 12th & 14th) of any year was 96 degree's It would be quite
impossible to get a 101 degree dewpoint ;-)
Quite frankly I hate it when we get into the 70's most of the summer (with
the occasional 80+). Just take a bar of soap with you and you can take your
shower as you walk!
John

Old November 28th 04, 03:02 AM
Gerry Caron

New Year's is too late. But then, it may be too early.

No. Most hotel rooms don't become available after New Year's. Most are
already gone. But they could become available on Jan 1 or some other day.
Sounds cryptic, but the hotels each run their own process. The only way to
find out is to call the hotels direct -- forget the 800 number.

Where we stayed, we put in our request for next year during this year's
show. They started taken requests then (from anyone who came in and asked.)
They then decide who gets the rooms and send out a confirmation around Oct
1. (Priority goes to those who stayed there this year and request 5 or more
nights.) Once you get the notice, a 2 night deposit is required by Jan 1 or
you lose your reservation. So some rooms may be available then, but they'll
likely got to others on the waiting list.

So here's the tactics:

Call and see if they have a waiting list. Get on it if you can. Best to
talk to the manager. The manager's often handle OSH reservations by
themselves.

Find out if and when there are any deposit deadlines. Be ready to call on
those days if they don't use a waiting list.

Out around March, start calling regularly (weekly) to see if anyone has
cancelled. (That's how my wife got ours the first time.)

Sometime around March-May, they give up on the 5 day minimum and start
selling 2-4 nights. So if you're planning a short trip, you probably won't
get very far until then. When they've started that, then you start getting
the "We've got Mon-Thurs only." Around June-July, you can start finding
these thru the hotline.

Good luck.

Gerry

Old November 28th 04, 03:38 AM
Paul Dow

I see I did read the information wrong. This page:
http://www.weatherwise.org/qr/qry.02...ntextreme.html shows the temp
to be 101 with a dew point of 90 on 7/13/95. It's on the Internet, so
it must be true :-)

The historical information on wunderground.com for that day show it to
be a comfortable 81 there. I couldn't find the true record information
on the NOAA site.

I guess we can agree that an air conditioned room will be much better
than a tent or dorm room suffering the affect of solar heat storage.
BTW, I wonder what they do with all those Wal-Mart fans that are bought,
but are too big to bring back in checked luggage?

Old November 28th 04, 05:54 AM
Bart D. Hull

What about staying at the college dorms? I have gone there year after
year with NO reservations and always got a decent room at a cheap price.

I don't have high expectations for a room as I only go there to sleep or
get out of the sun so I don't waste money on a 4 star hotel.

I met quite a few fellow Oshkosh goers in the process and felt more a
part of the true Oshkosh adventure.

Just my 2 cents...

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Old November 28th 04, 04:19 PM
Paul Dow

Gerry Caron wrote:
Once you get the notice, a 2 night deposit is required by Jan 1 or
you lose your reservation. So some rooms may be available then, but they'll
likely got to others on the waiting list.

I got the Jan. 1 date from the people at the Oshkosh Convention &
Vistors Bureau booth at OSH. Your statement about deposits being
required by Jan 1 adds up. Rooms could open up if the deposit isn't paid.

5 night stays though may be a bit long. 6 days at Airventure can get to
be a bit much for me. I guess I could spend some time volunteering, but
I usually go with people who aren't quite as 'plane crazy' as me.

I see Lawrence University in Appleton has an air conditioned dorm for
$65/night double occupancy. I might check their availabilty. I wonder
if they have internet access? Maybe that's asking a bit much.
Old November 28th 04, 04:49 PM
John T

Oooh yeah...culvers! Theres one on the hwy 41 frontage road on the EAA
side, about a mile or less from the corner where the museum sits.

John

Old November 28th 04, 06:13 PM
Blueskies

"Paul Dow" wrote in message news:PKbqd.11597$SA.10043@lakeread02...
snip

BTW, I wonder what they do with all those Wal-Mart fans that are bought, but are too big to bring back in checked
luggage?

At Ripon college, there was a back room filled with fans. They let us borrow a
few...

Old November 28th 04, 07:15 PM
Morgans

"Paul Dow" wrote

5 night stays though may be a bit long. 6 days at Airventure can get to
be a bit much for me. I guess I could spend some time volunteering, but
I usually go with people who aren't quite as 'plane crazy' as me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ditch those ^%&$*(&*(% no good dogs! You gotta stay that long to see even
3/4ths of OSH! Sorry, my plane craziness is showing!
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 29th 04, 02:35 PM
RobertR237

"Paul Dow" wrote

5 night stays though may be a bit long. 6 days at Airventure can get to
be a bit much for me. I guess I could spend some time volunteering, but
I usually go with people who aren't quite as 'plane crazy' as me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ditch those ^%&$*(&*(% no good dogs! You gotta stay that long to see even
3/4ths of OSH! Sorry, my plane craziness is showing!
--
Jim in NC

That depends on why you are going. If the only thing you want to do is go,
look at a bunch of planes and the displays, then 4-5 days is enough. You will
do nothing but walk your legs off and not really enjoy the even though. I have
spent 5-6 days at Oshkosh each year and have yet to see it all. Its not
because I couldn't get to everything but that I wanted to enjoy everything that
I did get to. The most time is spent simply talking with the other builders
and pilots about their projects, experiences, and love of flying.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)