First Arrival at Marfa Wave Camp

Old March 23rd 04, 03:07 PM
Burt Compton

Default First Arrival at Marfa Wave Camp

First Arrival at the Marfa Wave Camp.

A car with a glider trailer slowly approached my "Marfa Gliders" hangar,
thankfully creating very little dust. I thought "here is someone who knows how
to drive on an airport!"

Noticing the New York vehicle tags, I greeted the driver and lady passenger
with my newly acquired "Howdy, welcome to west Texas." The fellow told me his
name was Leon Wiggins. I took a wild guess and asked if he knew Bernie
Wiggins, the legendary soaring meteorologist that advised the pilots at many US
Nationals at Elmira. Leon replied, "That was my father - how did you know
him?"
I said that being the son of a notable soaring pilot, Fritz Compton, I had
attended many contests in the 1950's - 1960's at Harris Hill and was privileged
to listen in on the hangar flying discussions my Dad had with many of the great
folks of soaring. Leon Wiggins and I had likely met as youngsters on Harris
Hill. How about that!

So, Leon Wiggins and wife are the first arrivals for the spring soaring camp.
They are staying in our guest cottage, and he plans to fly a couple of days
with us, then drive into Mexico to take the scenic "Copper Canyon" train ride.
They will be back in time to participate in the Marfa Wave Camp April 3 - 11.

Not only is Leon the first to arrive, but likely has driven the longest
distance to Marfa from New York, about 2,100 miles.

I believe our spring rains have ended in west Texas, which made the grass grow
a bit and will greatly reduce the dust. No strong winds yet, but our thermal
season has certainly arrived.

Burt & Kathie Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.FLYGLIDERS.com
1-800-667-9464
Old March 23rd 04, 05:08 PM
Shirley

Great story about how you guys probably knew each other as youngsters.

I have to tell ya, when I initially see the name in a subject line, at first
glance I always mis-read it ...

"First Arrival at the Mafia Wave Camp"
(a spin-off of the Sopranos?)

And meaning no disrespect whatsoever, whenever I hear the name "Wiggins", I
can't help but remember Tim Conway and Carol Burnett!

Anyway, I know some are unintentional, but thanks for the smiles!

Old March 23rd 04, 10:48 PM
Herbert Kilian

Burt,

You are doing such a great job at promoting soaring and your local
soaring paradise, it sure deserves recognition. We need more people
like you to get folks exited about what our sport has to offer and how
many wonderful characters there are to meet. After reading your
little story I was ready to drop work, hook up the trailer and come
and join you all for a couple of days or weeks. Heck, it can't be more
than a good 2 days of driving to get to Marfa from Chicago...

Herb, J7

Old March 24th 04, 04:07 AM
Bob Kibby

The Texas Soaring Association (TSA) Letter of Agreement with Albuqueque
Center for the Wave Airspace is posted on the TSA web site;
http://www.texassoaring.org/

For those paricipating in Dick Johnsons's Wave Camp, I would encourge you to
download this info into yuor PDA database.

Bob Kibby "2BK"

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

[...]

Soar w/ Bob Wander at Marfa, April 9-10-11 Burt Compton Soaring 0 March 15th 04 04:13 AM
Sugarbush Wave Camp SUGARBUSH SOARING Soaring 0 September 23rd 03 05:15 PM
Bunyan NSW Australia wave camp video Mal Soaring 0 August 26th 03 01:52 PM
Bunyan Wave Camp AU Mal Soaring 0 August 17th 03 10:51 PM
good book about prisoners of war Jim Atkins Military Aviation 16 August 1st 03 10:18 AM