The wrong signals to send to young visitors.

Old November 22nd 03, 09:04 PM
Bob Gardner

Darn tootin'. Make the kids stay home and watch sports on TV...that will
keep them away from beer ads.

Bob Gardner

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Nov18.html

Legislators Protest Beer Logos on Museum Exhibit

By Jacqueline Trescott
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 19, 2003; Page C01

Just weeks before the opening of the Smithsonian's new aviation
museum, 20 House members have asked the Smithsonian to remove beer
logos from a historic aerobatics plane.

In a letter sent this week to Smithsonian Secretary Lawrence M. Small,
the congressmen said the Loudenslager Stephens Akro Laser 200, which
won several U.S. aerobatics titles as well as the 1980 World Aerobatic
Championship, deserved to be in the museum. However, they said the Bud
Light emblems were an advertisement and an inducement to drink -- the
wrong signals to send to young visitors.

"The display of the plane with the Bud Light logos would needlessly
commercialize the plane's exhibition while marginalizing its true
historical significance. The logos are nothing more than an
advertisement that would constitute an implicit endorsement of Bud
Light by the Smithsonian Institution," wrote the members of Congress.

"Having a historic plane covered in gratuitous beer advertising sends
misleading and dangerous messages to the millions of annual museum
visitors who will be under the legal drinking age. As you may know,
alcohol is the leading drug problem among American youth. . . .

Old November 22nd 03, 09:23 PM
Cub Driver

"Having a historic plane covered in gratuitous beer advertising sends
misleading and dangerous messages to the millions of annual museum

So, do all those World War II German planes with swastikas on them tell
kids that Nazism is cool?

This is a significant point. Still, one could argue that the swastika
isn't a commercial advertisement.

I wonder: does NASM (Pensacola, Wright-Patt, whatever) show tits & ass
in its WWII bomber nose art?

Do they allow such poetry as Slap the Jap?

And I wonder: how do German air museums handle this little problem of
the swastika or hakenkruez? Nazi symbols carry more baggage in that
country than they do in the U.S. For example, the Bodenweiler(?) March
is banned in Germany but not in the U.S.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 22nd 03, 09:39 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Cub Driver said:
And I wonder: how do German air museums handle this little problem of
the swastika or hakenkruez? Nazi symbols carry more baggage in that
country than they do in the U.S. For example, the Bodenweiler(?) March
is banned in Germany but not in the U.S.

German air museums paint out the swastika because it's illegal to display
it in public. Or at least they did before reunification - I'm not sure if
it's changed.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction into a

Old November 23rd 03, 01:00 AM
Anonymous

Bob Fry wrote:

Pushy Galore

Hmmm... that's not the name I remember from James Bond...

--
Peter

Old November 23rd 03, 01:15 AM
Bob Fry

Anonymous Nobody writes:

Bob Fry wrote:

Pushy Galore

Hmmm... that's not the name I remember from James Bond...

"Pushy Galore is a purpose-built experimental for time-to-climb
competitions. It is the holder of several records."

WARNING: The following airplane photo contains MAREKETING TRADEMARKS.
Children under 18 not allowed--adults only!

http://www.russellw.com/museums/oshk...t.asp?PicID=14
Old November 23rd 03, 02:12 AM
vincent p. norris

..... they said the Bud Light emblems were an advertisement and an inducement to drink -- the
wrong signals to send to young visitors.

Doesn't the NASM sell alcoholic beverages in the cafeteria? Doesn't
that corrupt children?

In a follow-up letter, these same [idiots] suggested changing the name
of The Spirit Of St. Louis to Shiny Plane.

I always assumed that the "Spirit" of St. Louis referred to some kind
of booze distilled in that town.

vince norris
Old November 23rd 03, 02:32 AM
Brian Burger

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, g n p wrote:

You Americans are a gas......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a symptom of mistaking Bud Light for actual beer, I'm afraid.

Even by the usual standards of grandstanding idiot political
creatures, this is a new standard of silliness...

Brian.
Old November 23rd 03, 02:46 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "H.J." said:
Wrong Larry.
Those logos are authentic and accurate historical markings. If your kid cant
handle the concept, keep him the hell out of the museum.

And restaurants, sports venues, etc. Don't let him watch TV or read
magazines, either. Oh, and the newspapers are full of accurate depictions
of reality, some of which might involve beer.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
- Donald Knuth