The wrong signals to send to young visitors.

Old November 25th 03, 10:42 AM
Cub Driver

It is a deeply revered symbol of progress & continuity of life.
Associating it with evil is only a sign of ignorance.

Your post is a sign of ignorance. Something like thirty million people
died because Germany followed the swastika. A fair number of them were
Indians.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 25th 03, 10:49 AM
Cub Driver

Wasn't the swastika a symbol of the state building the aircraf

No, it was the symbol of the NSDP, the Nazi party. The state symbol
was the teutonic cross. Indeed, if you look at an authentic German
warplane of the era, you will notice that the swastika is fairly
unimportant, as compared to the cross, and sometimes is missing
altogether.

Interestingly, the hakristi -- a blue bent-leg cross -- was the symbol
of the Finnish air force, and shows much more prominently on Finnish
aircraft. If Pensacola ever succeeds in acquiring the Brewster Buffalo
recovered several years ago from Russia --
www.warbirdforum.com/372.htm -- there will presumably be a blue
"swastika" on display at the naval air museum.

That the symbol was used (sometimes facing to the left) by Finland,
Indians, Native Americans, and the publishers of Rudyard Kipling's
books doesn't alter in the slightest that for anyone alive in the
mid-twentieth century it is first of all the mark of an insane,
murderous cult that ruled Germany for twelve years and led the world
into the greatest man-made calamity in all of history.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 25th 03, 04:48 PM
John T

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Your post is a sign of ignorance. Something like thirty million people
died because Germany followed the swastika. A fair number of them were
Indians.

Picking nits: They didn't "follow the swastika". They followed Hitler who
used the symbol. There's a difference.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 25th 03, 04:51 PM
Deep Darr

Thanks for your post, Robert. This is exactly the point I was making
-The narrow-minded and shallow thinking of the European culture.

For just this example, the Nazis adopted the Swastika in the 20th
century while it has been a symbol of "good," not bad, for at least 3
millennia on this planet.

For the inquisitive minds, just do a search on "Swastika" on google
and you'll find more depth than the street knowledge of "bad stuff".
You'll still be just scratching the surface of the good heritage of
old civilization that gave the world a lot of invaluable things like
meditation, yoga and more.

Peace,
Deep.

Robert Perkins wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:37:26 GMT, "John T" wrote:

Good catch. I was using the term (admittedly narrowly) in reference to
Americans and Europeans - most of whom seem to link the swastika with
nothing but Nazi Germany.

The Nazi context is the only context I'd seen the swastika in for the
first 25 years of my life. If there are other contexts, they're not
widely known in the U.S.

Rob

Old November 25th 03, 09:04 PM
Deep Darr

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..

Your post is a sign of ignorance. Something like thirty million people
died because Germany followed the swastika. A fair number of them were
Indians.

all the best -- Dan Ford

Dan,

I knew that someone will include this in their post. This is not the
point I was making. My wife is Jewish and I know well about Holocaust.

The point I was making is that if an evil organization adopted a
symbol a 100 years ago, and that the symbol had been representing good
for millennia before that, then representing only the evil association
of the symbol is ignorance at best.

It is evident from the common observation (as another poster testified
as well) that people do not know about any other association but the
100 year old mentioned above. Do you see the problem?

I think I made my point clear in the previous post and in the above
paragraphs.
It was not my intent to call you or Robert ignorant so please do not
take offence at that.

Peace,
Deep
Old November 25th 03, 10:21 PM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:48:00 GMT, "John T" wrote:

They didn't "follow the swastika". They followed Hitler who
used the symbol. There's a difference.

Not much. That difference and a dime would buy you an ice cream cone
in 1945.

Plonk!

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 25th 03, 10:25 PM
Cub Driver

It is evident from the common observation (as another poster testified
as well) that people do not know about any other association but the
100 year old mentioned above. Do you see the problem?

No, I don't see the problem. If people do not know about the good
association, then I think you should take it as a given thatfor those
people--the vast majority likely to be posting here--the swastika is a
symbol of evil. It is to me, even though I know perfectly well about
its other uses, and evidently it is to most people, as you have just
indicated.

The Hell's Angels motorcycle gang doesn't fancy swastika tattoes
because it means nice things to Native Americans and some Asian
cultures. They adopt them because it is a symbol of evil.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 26th 03, 07:05 AM
Deep Darr

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..

If people do not know about the good
association, then I think you should take it as a given thatfor those
people--the vast majority likely to be posting here--the swastika is a
symbol of evil. It is to me, even though I know perfectly well about
its other uses, and evidently it is to most people, as you have just
indicated.

The Hell's Angels motorcycle gang doesn't fancy swastika tattoes
because it means nice things to Native Americans and some Asian
cultures. They adopt them because it is a symbol of evil.

Exactly my point. The "if" in the above post is what I am trying to
highlight. The history is known and if people chose to ignore it (i.e.
"if people do not know about the good association...") then it is
ignorance isn't it? A deliberate ignorance at that.

Let's assume that al-qaeda (sp?) uses a cross (or imagine your
favorite symbol here) in some evil operation as their symbol. Would
you start associating it with evil or would you look at the bigger
picture?

peace,
Deep