Is it typical for an FBO to ask to see evidence of a/c insurance?

Old May 15th 05, 03:11 AM
Michael Horowitz

Default Is it typical for an FBO to ask to see evidence of a/c insurance?

Is it typical for an FBO to ask to see evidence of a/c insurance?
I've been tied down at XXX for several years now; today the manager
asked for a copy of my insurance (not sure if he wanted to see a cy of
the policy, or simply evidence of insurance).
Did your FBO ask same of you? - Mike
Old May 15th 05, 03:18 AM
George Patterson

Michael Horowitz wrote:

Did your FBO ask same of you? - Mike

None of the three places I kept a plane did this.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 15th 05, 04:10 AM
Javier Henderson

Michael Horowitz writes:

Is it typical for an FBO to ask to see evidence of a/c insurance?
I've been tied down at XXX for several years now; today the manager
asked for a copy of my insurance (not sure if he wanted to see a cy of
the policy, or simply evidence of insurance).
Did your FBO ask same of you? - Mike

I rent a hangar from the city (KSNS), they require to be listed as
named insured on my policy.

-jav
Old May 15th 05, 11:56 AM
Michael Horowitz

Javier Henderson wrote:

Michael Horowitz writes:

Is it typical for an FBO to ask to see evidence of a/c insurance?
I've been tied down at XXX for several years now; today the manager
asked for a copy of my insurance (not sure if he wanted to see a cy of
the policy, or simply evidence of insurance).
Did your FBO ask same of you? - Mike

I rent a hangar from the city (KSNS), they require to be listed as
named insured on my policy.

-jav

After sleeping on it, I seem to recall that I did previously have an
FBO do the same. Thanks - MIke
Old May 15th 05, 12:45 PM
tom418

Here (Long Island MacArthur ), FBO wants a copy of policy every year, and
wants to be listed as insured.

Old May 15th 05, 01:36 PM
Michelle P

Mike,
Our FBO does not but the state (VA) does.
Michelle

Old May 15th 05, 02:12 PM
Dave

Yes.....

Boat clubs, marinas, the same...

Dave

Old May 16th 05, 05:17 AM
Robert M. Gary

Pretty common. My policy (AIG w/ AOPA riders ) has explicit coverage
for the tie down area and liability insurance if someone trips on the
plane.

-Robert

Old May 16th 05, 12:16 PM
Denny

Ask the airport manager if he requires that all transient aricraft have
the airport as named insured before using the airport... If not, then
they are discriminating among users of a public airport, which is a
violation of federal law..
The reality is that if someone gets injured, say by walking into a
prop, it doesn't make any difference if the plane has been sitting
there 90 seconds or 90 days... The airport's risk level is the same...
The other reality is that the airport is the landlord for renters and
the renters will probably have to compromise in the end, but by keeping
their feet to the fire you can keep their demands down to a reasonable
level...

My situtation is a bit different as I own my hangar - which sits on
land leased from the airport... Still, the County tried to force me to
abrogate my insurance with them as additional named insured.. I
politely declined..
Well actually and more accurately, the airport manager handed me a
sealed envelope on a Saturday morning, inside was this contract with
numerous underlined, blank areas that I was to sign and after I signed
they would fill in the blanks... He said he had to have it within 5
business days... I read through it briefly, laughed loudly to get the
attention of the other pilots/owners milling around, wadded up the
contract and tried for a 3 pointer into the waste basket... I missed
and it skidded under the vending machine... I was still chuckling as I
walked out... He told me later that two guys who had signed their
contract and put it on his desk, after seeing my little act of defiance
then grabbed their contract back and tore it up... The airport wound
upwith a full blown revolt and only the FBO's signing the new airport
contract... Be aware that this airport does not have a five year
waiting list for a hangar... AIrports in major urban centers probably
can play hard ball...

denny

Old May 16th 05, 02:39 PM
Newps

Denny wrote:

Ask the airport manager if he requires that all transient aricraft have
the airport as named insured before using the airport... If not, then
they are discriminating among users of a public airport, which is a
violation of federal law..
The reality is that if someone gets injured, say by walking into a
prop, it doesn't make any difference if the plane has been sitting
there 90 seconds or 90 days...

Sure it does. The plane based there is much more likely to be the one
causing the accident. It's all about reducing the risk that you have
control over.

The airport's risk level is the same...
The other reality is that the airport is the landlord for renters and
the renters will probably have to compromise in the end, but by keeping
their feet to the fire you can keep their demands down to a reasonable
level...

It's not unreasonable and is quite common.