injected planes, no more owner oil changes, contact AOPA

Old April 1st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default injected planes, no more owner oil changes, contact AOPA

AD 2008-06-51 prohibits injected (mostly Lycoming) aircraft owners
from changing their own oil (really makes the plane unairworthy after
an oil change until you get an A&P sign off).
Talking to AOPA about this I really don't get the impression that they
think this is very important. I would encourage everyone to send a
quick email to AOPA and let them know that the FAA needs to find
another way to do this AD other than restricting oil changes.

-Robert
Old April 1st 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Huh? The way I read that AD, it has nothing to do with oil changes. The
repetitive inspection portion of it will be a PITA, which states :
At every engine oil change or within every 50 hours of engine run time,
whichever occurs

first, repeat the inspection and remedial steps specified in paragraphs (f)
through (h)(9) of this AD.

It in no way makes oil changes by the owner prohibited. If you have other
info, please post it.

Jim

Old April 1st 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

As a side note, if you obtain a new updated gasket for the servo plug, your
A&P can install it and eliminated the repetitive portion of that AD.

Old April 1st 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 1, 12:18*pm, "Jim Burns" wrote:
Huh? *The way I read that AD, it has nothing to do with oil changes. *The
repetitive inspection portion of it will be a PITA, which states :
At every engine oil change or within every 50 hours of engine run time,
whichever occurs

first, repeat the inspection and remedial steps specified in paragraphs (f)
through (h)(9) of this AD.

It in no way makes oil changes by the owner prohibited. *If you have other
info, please post it.

The AD says "At every oil change...". There for when you go out to
your plane to change the oil you can no longer fly it and must wait to
schedule an A&P to sign the AD. Draining the oil makes the plane
unairworthy.

-Robert
Old April 1st 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 1, 12:34*pm, "Jim Burns" wrote:
As a side note, if you obtain a new updated gasket for the servo plug, your
A&P can install it and eliminated the repetitive portion of that AD.
Jim

Legally, the A&P can do it. However, there are two issues with this...
1) The fuel shops say retorquing the nut requires a new flow test. The
torque on the nut affects flows. They recommend never allowing an A&P
to touch the servo.
2) The safety wire used on the nut has "tamper evident" attachment. If
the A&P cuts the wire there is no warranty on the servo.

On the Mooney its a major buger of a job to R&R the servo.

-Robert
Old April 1st 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:04:55 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

AD 2008-06-51 prohibits injected (mostly Lycoming) aircraft owners
from changing their own oil (really makes the plane unairworthy after
an oil change until you get an A&P sign off).
Talking to AOPA about this I really don't get the impression that they
think this is very important. I would encourage everyone to send a
quick email to AOPA and let them know that the FAA needs to find
another way to do this AD other than restricting oil changes.

The only thing that AD does is require an inspection of a fuel servo
plug for security. It takes 10 minutes (most of which is getting at
the thing, which if you've already gotten it open for the oil change
makes it take 5 seconds) and if you can't get the nearest mechanic to
sign an entry saying that they complied with the job then you're not
doing something right. It doesn't stop you from changing your oil in
any way, shape, or form.
Old April 1st 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Is there a new version of the AD? I don't see anything in there under
alternative methods of compliance showing a method other than the
inspection to comply.

Old April 1st 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

http://www.precisionairmotive.com/Pu...107%20Rev2.pdf

Gives warranty info, including a $100 offer to have the work performed.
Precision's website has a warranty claim form.

No mention of a flow test being required or recommended, but I don't doubt
that your fuel shop would recommend it, certainly can't hurt.

The plug serves as a cover to the internal mixture adjustment mechanism of
the servo, however, the gasket under the plug also seals the plug hole which
is on the "air" side of the servo. If the plug does not seal, it can suck
air and the mixture will be leaner than desired, however, it seems Precision
feels that an A&P is more than qualified to replace the gasket.

Old April 1st 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 1, 2:21*pm, Peter Clark
wrote:
*It takes 10 minutes (most of which is getting at
the thing, which if you've already gotten it open for the oil change
makes it take 5 seconds) and if you can't get the nearest mechanic to
sign an entry saying that they complied with the job then you're not
doing something right. *It doesn't stop you from changing your oil in
any way, shape, or form.

A couple things you probably have not considered...
1) Before this AD I could change my oil on the weekend or earily AM
before work (which is when I usually do it), now you have to
coordinate the time when the shop is open (take the AM off work)
2) No A&P is going to bill you for 5 minutes. You'll be billed at
least 30 minutes, meaning you might as well have the A&P change the
oil. The benefit of changing your own oil is gone.

If you don't see the above points as a lose in ability/freedom then I
can't help you. If the AD had something to do with oil I would be ok
with it but it doesn't. Making the aircraft unairworthy because the
pilot changed the oil doesn't in anyway make the AD any more
effective.

-Robert

Old April 1st 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

The AD is specific to a specific part numbered gasket. The Precision SB
indicates a new gasket that, if installed, eliminates this AD.
Jim