How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

Old January 14th 21, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

Everybody's going to bitch about priorities that don't have them high on the list or don't comport with their sense of what's important. I think we've pretty quickly gotten to a place where the goal is to try to get it to older folks (especially in group homes) and some combination of folks with super high rates of exposure and potential to be spreaders. No one's going to agree on that at the micro-level so expect the usual sniping and inevitable politicization from people who see everything through a red/blue lens. The big change I've seen is the shift to a "use every dose" approach where there are outlets to administer unused doses before they expire - with much looser prioritization criteria. Some of that will be just having a continuous flow to vaccination centers where you ave long lines of people who are willing to be a ready arm to receive a stick. That seems like a pretty good method to drive up dose utilization - there are almost always people willing to stand in line.

I still don't get the Fauci thing. Maybe some more CAPS LOCK comments will make it clear.

;-)

9B

Hope our soaring vendors get vaccinated early - back to the original post.

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 7:07:00 AM UTC-8, kinsell wrote:
On 1/14/21 1:56 AM, Andy Blackburn wrote:
Tom - you need to go easier on your CAPS LOCK key or you're going to break it.

QAnon and Breitbart conspiracy theory stories notwithstanding the actual priorities for administering vaccines are set by state public health organizations, in some cases based on guidelines set by CDC (not NIH, where Fauci works). There is a committee (AICP) appointed by the HHS Secretary that makes the recommendation. I checked, Fauci isn't on it. Here's the link: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/members/index.html

Certainly the CDC over-estimated the ability of the supply chain - particularly at the state level - to manage administering vaccines based on a complex prioritization scheme. But never fear, the incoming Biden administration is pushing (even before taking office) to set aside the priorities to ensure the that every dose get used on someone. So, more competent management is on the way with a more sensible approach - led by (drum roll) Anthony Fauci.

Oh the irony.

In Colorado, we have one of the best rates of injections given, yet less
than half have been administered. Our great governor, bluer than a
Smurf, constantly gives press conferences where he keeps saying the
vaccination rate is entirely paced by vaccine supply.

He's constantly changing the priority list, exactly two days after shots
started being given to highest risk people in nursing homes, he opened
it up to 'essential journalists', teachers, postal workers, and others.
Now it turns out, low level legislative assistants like millennial
clerks and secretaries have already been given shots, when the over 70
crowd is just starting to get theirs.

So is it Trump's fault we have a lying idiot for a governor here? BTW,
after all the preaching about masks and washing hands, our great
governor came down with the 'Rona himself.

Old January 15th 21, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 5:32:52 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 12:33:29 PM UTC-8, Gregg Ballou wrote:
How could you guys not have seen these claims? If you want other sources search, it is part of the current conventional wisdom on covid. And if you believe the current conventional wisdom on covid then isn't recreational flying immoral?
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/healt...ess/index.html
Health officials from Dr. Anthony Fauci on down are cautioning people that no one can dump the the face masks and social distancing behavior just because they've been vaccinated.
Why a Covid-19 vaccine doesn't mean that you can stop wearing a mask
Why a Covid-19 vaccine doesn't mean that you can stop wearing a mask
That's because even people who are themselves immune to the virus might be exposed to it and transmit it to others. It can grow in the nose, says Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
"It's possible that someone could get the vaccine but could still be an asymptomatic carrier," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician. "They may not show symptoms, but they have the virus in their nasal passageway so that if they're speaking, breathing, sneezing and so on, they can still transmit it to others."

Sorry, those AREN'T credible sources. We know Fauci has lied to us in the past, which destroyed his credibility. An "analyst" is just giving their personal opinion - note that she used the word "may" which IS NOT definitive.. I am looking for some institution such as John Hopkins, that has officially studied the issue.

Tom

Old January 15th 21, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 2:08:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Before the Seniors we plan to offer a handicapped Sailplane Grand Prix for 15 pilots to experience a different racing format.

Rich,
What are the dates? How does one sign up?
Thanks,
Chris Schrader
Old January 15th 21, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 12:56:22 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Andy
9B

Thread drift complete
On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 12:47:30 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 11:10:48 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Gregg Ballou wrote on 1/13/2021 9:59 AM:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:02:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 6:17:31 PM UTC-8, Gregg Ballou wrote:

I agree Fauci is beyond wrong and probably acting with malice.
P.S.
Back to originally scheduled thread programming from two levels of thread drift. In my boredom stuck at home I keep ordering soaring gear in the hope that one day I'll get to use it. Hopefully our soaring vendors are keeping above water.

9B
He did so great with AZT among other failures. Fly like it is 2019 or stay home.

It appears Fauci was (and is) supported by the people that needed AZT [HIV drug]. We do not
benefit by attacking those that are helping:

“Ever since the 1990 demonstration, we’ve been partners in fighting illnesses and diseases, and
our enemies now are hesitant politicians and anti-science radio hosts,” he [Staley] said. “We
are now Fauci’s great defenders against the anti-science. And the world is better for it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...h-coronavirus/

--
Eric Greenwell

Fauci IS NOT helping us by lying to us. I didn't ask him to lie - he did that all on his own. His credibility is shredded as a result. On top of that we have politicians reaching way beyond their legal authority to not only run our lives, but, in come cases, to literally kill us. Now they are demonstrating their incompetence by not inoculating people with a vaccine IN HAND (less than 35% has actually been used of the 25 million doses delivered to the states). Perfectly good vaccine doses are been THROWN AWAY by these nincompoops out of fear of government retribution. Then, they come back with the plea "Trust us, we will do better." I am with Missourians: show me.

Tom

If you are looking for competence out of the Biden administration I think you are going to be sadly disappointed. Biden's management expertise amounts to running a Senate office. His COVID relief plan contained nothing that hadn't already been done. I think it will take the involvement of public and private companies, who are competent at efforts of this scale, to break the logjam. I listened to the CEO (sorry for the CAPS LOCK) of Honeywell talk about how Honeywell and other companies have started working on such a plan.
Old January 18th 21, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

TOM THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR UNQUALIFIED POLITICAL OPINIONS ON A MOTHER ****ING SOARING GROUP. SINCE YOU SEEMS TO BE AN EXPERT ON ALL
I INVITE YOU TO CONSIDER WHAT WOULD BE THE APPROPRIATE TOPICS FOR "RECREATION SOARING" NEWSGROUP. BTW, google groups established different groups by subject, os if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for us to adhere to said policies.

All of us

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 2:25:15 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
[...]

BTW, our founding fathers used upper case, so if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

Tom

Old January 24th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 9:02:06 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

You're welcome. I can tell you how to replace you keyboard - your CAPS LOCK key seems to be stuck.

Tom

Old January 24th 21, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Owen

Ladies and Gentlemen, I know this might come as a surprise but I come to this site everyday to see if our other soaring operations have some good ideas on how to manage the hand we have been dealt. At Seminole-Lake, both of our instructors have received the Covid vaccine. Our local pilots who are competing in the Seniors have at least gotten their first shot. I will get my second shot on February 6th. The flight training operation with its Covid mitigation procedures, have not had any other Covid cases than our one flight instructor who safely recovered from the virus. I want to send a shout out to Miami Gliders who have thankfully offered to tow during the Seniors. In recent weeks we have lost access to a couple of tow planes due to maintenance issues. Clubs are working hard to restore the aircraft to flyable condition but the Seniors is only 6 weeks away. We are looking for 2 more tow planes as a back up in case these clubs are unsuccessful to return their ships to airworthy condition. Please contact me at 407-325-6500 cell or 407-249-4945 home. Leave a message on my home line since we do screen calls like most folks.

I know many of you though contest flying, the SSA and commercial soaring operations. Our enemies on this site are sink, rain, rotor, cold weather at altitude, hypoxia, improper checklist use, getting distracted while flying/assembly, and bad decisions to name a few. There is no need to attack each other. Take a breath, set a personal goal to improve your proficiency in soaring. Go to a school and show off our sport to the next generation. Go to your club, look around and work on those projects everyone has been talking about. Come to Florida today and fly with us. Need to expand your list of ratings, we are ready to support you! In 6 weeks 60 gliders will show up to compete in a competition that has operated for 31 years. We have plans in place to mitigate the risk of Covid during the contest. It will be a lot of fun, just ask any of the pilots who have made the trip.

Sincerely,
Rich Owen
Contest Manager
Senior Soaring Championship
Old January 24th 21, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 4:51:05 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
could on-site rapid testing be implemented for all SSA sanctioned contests this year? I realize its better to get tested 5 days prior and then quarantine, but its better than nothing.
On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 9:21:12 AM UTC-8, Richard Owen wrote:
Happy New Year (almost)! Although 2020 was difficult, it is heartening how many of us have adapted to this virus. The first day of the Senior Soaring Championship was the same day the President called Covid a National Emergency. We did not have a single case within 100 miles of the gliderport. The contest staff met several times to change the format of the contest. No meetings, gloves, sanitizer, take away food at dinners, and staying socially distanced. We completed the contest but that was at the beginning of the virus. At Seminole-Lake we suspended all training and rides but did provide towing services. You had to hook up your own glider and pay via electronic means. During the summer, Florida gradually opened up and we adapted again.. We started training, limited rides, and normal towing services. We did have one of our staff get Covid and he recovered without going to the hospital. The student and instructor quarantined and our procedures checked again.

Our business in early summer was off year to year but around June it started back. Now we are doing OK. We have slightly less students and flight training than last year, but with the challenges over the last 10 months, we are doing extremely well.

In October we decided to go forward with the Senior Soaring Championship for 2021. Right now we have over 53 pilots signed up with several who will be registering in the next couple of days. Our contestants are over 55 years old and most are over 60 years old. We have a Covid mitigation plan, reviewed it with the county health department, and are trying to arrange testing for all competitors upon arrival. Hope may not be a strategy in sailplane racing (thanks DB), but it is a trait Americans are born with. Looking forward to a better 2021 and hope you and your families are safe and healthy.. If you need a new glider rating, we would love to see you at Seminole-Lake Gliderport!

Cheers,
Richard Owen
Vice President
Seminole Flying & Soaring

Good luck with the on site testing, us seniors cannot even get the vaccine, yet others come from NY and other states to get their vaccine shots in Florida. Argentina and Brazil are selling COVID packages to Florida. My wife is in the medical field, talk to her about the availability!
Old January 26th 21, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 1:20:09 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

My wife and I got up early and went to our area's mass vaccination site this morning after hearing on the news last night that it was open and no reservations were required - it was first come, first served. After waiting in line for an hour we were asked for our reservation, which we didn't have, and were turned away! A call to the local health department revealed that the state had changed the rules last night at 8:30 pm. So, now we are trying to get a reservation, but they are all filled. Sigh...

The excuses are already rolling out faster than the vaccinations. The Trump administration is (still) being blamed for not having a distribution plan (they did), are not getting vaccines out to the states (they did), and have no idea how many doses have been ordered and are on hand (they do). The truth is that the states have administered about half of the doses they have received:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations
At least this is up from 25%. Meanwhile, some hospitals in NY are throwing doses out from fear of heavy fines by Cuomo. Sigh...

On top of that, real scientific studies are coming out proving what we knew all along: lockdowns don't work:
https://www.aier.org/article/new-stu...d-of-covid-19/

Tom