Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

Old October 27th 05, 03:58 AM
Judah

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution (long reply to Jay H.)

First, I'd say if you are a Skiier, you may find flying a very exciting
way to cut a white-knuckled drive to Killington or Mount Snow or
Butternut in half.. I haven't done it yet personally, but I somehow
manage to talk about doing it every year, and several of the ski resorts
in New England seem have airports nearby or in some cases on site...

Second, calling airport operations to complain about a rude bonanza or
mooney pilot flying too low off airport is like calling a hotel manager
to complain that one of his hotel guests is drunk and boisterous in a
bar down the block... You know what I mean? The hotel operator is
unlikely to take action against someone who is probably a customer for
doing something off property... Not sure what might be better (probably
calling the pilot directly) but your tactic would surely be pretty
futile.

Get your ticket, and the noise will stop bugging you as you look up
every time you hear it. Besides, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Good luck!

Old October 27th 05, 04:08 AM
Morgans

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution (long reply to Jay

"Jay Honeck" wrote

In closing, getting your pilot's certificate will be unlike anything

you've
ever accomplished before -- I urge you to do it! That certificate, for

me,
is far more significant and meaningful than my high school diploma, my
college degree, or any award or title of won, before or since.

How does it compare to the title of Husband? (just on the off chance that
Mary is looking in g )
--
Jim in NC

Old October 27th 05, 04:12 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Well, since Skylune is a New Yorker, I don't think he'll have to worry too
much about density altitude.

No, just the denseness of New Yorkers! g
--
Jim in NC

Old October 27th 05, 04:21 AM
Jim Burns

Nearest neighbors here are 1/2 mile north and 1/2 mile south, and one of
those houses we actually own and rent out, so we can control who that
neighbor is, east it's over a mile, west it's 2 miles to another house that
we own and rent out. Directly across the road from our house is a third
house that we own but I refuse to rent it out because I simply don't want a
neighbor that close, I've learned my lesson the hard way, it simply wasn't
worth it.

Jim

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Jim Burns wrote:

I personally can not tolerate neighbors. Not that I do not enjoy

people,
but I am a rather private person. I do not like unannounced visitors,
salesmen, or even phone calls. When I'm at home, I want to be left

alone.
A neighbors repetitive barking dog, leaf blower, or loud muffler would
simply drive me crazy. I feel fortunate that I can live in a rather
isolated area and own all of the surrounding property. I feel sorry for
those who wish they could but can not.

I'm with you, Jim. I bought a former 88 acre farm and built my log
house just about in the center! My driveway is a little bit of a pain
to plow in the winter (1700' long), but my nearest neighbor is more than
a quarter mile away and that suits me just fine. :-)

Matt

Old October 27th 05, 07:49 AM
Montblack

("Jim Burns" wrote)
[snip]
....west it's 2 miles to another house that we own and rent out. Directly
across the road from our house is a third house that we own but I refuse
to rent it out...

Jeez Jim, that town of yours only has 8 houses, and you own half of them.

http://www.burnsvillemn.com/visitorsinfo-bcvb/index.php
The name is already taken in the Twin Cities, but I think it's still
available in Wisconsin :-)

Montblack

Old October 27th 05, 10:32 AM
Tom

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

Maybe AOPA could send a "stern letter of caution" to the airport security
director.

Skylune, get a clue.

Tom

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
Threats of being beaten by a mall security guard with a baton have
undoubtably scared thousands and thousands of would-be pilots off.

This urgent issue should be addressed promptly by the AOPA.

Old October 27th 05, 10:35 AM
Tom

Trouble is Jay, sometimes you come off as just as big a whack-job as Skylune
is.
The difference is though, you actually are a pilot and Skylune is a wash-out
from Embry-Riddle.

Tom

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
This forum is a great source of information and, yes!, entertainment for
me in my quest to SAVE THE WORLD from GA.

Thus proving that there really *is* one born every minute.

Wouldn't it be nice if all the nut jobs restricted themselves to saving
the world for snail darters, red tailed owls, and hump-back whales?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 27th 05, 10:38 AM
Skylune

And don't forget, I am Skylune, a big fat greasy turd.

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
He has? That Skylune is a real jerk, a total loser who is too cowardly
and unskilled to get his PPL. But maybe that's his impostor doing the
posting. Who can be sure of anything these days?

And, what's with his disdain of Phil Boyer? What has Boyer ever done to
hurt him? I just don't get it...

Old October 27th 05, 11:57 AM
Tom

You are 49 years old? Aren't you just a tad mature (in years) to be acting
like a whack-job?

Tom

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
I'll think about the C-150 thing. That's the little plane I did some
training in about 15 years back (or was it a 152, i don't recall). I'm
going on 49: is that to late to pick up where I left off? I think not,
especially since I did training and can probably progress to the stall
stuff pretty fast. Anyway, what's to lose?

What this is all about: I and my family have owned properties in a
certain area of southern New Hampshire for years, with intent to retire
there. Over the years, the local airport (about five miles away) has
gotten busier and busier. Last summer, the noise was just out of control.
Low flights all hours of the day and night. A certain Mooney and Bonanza
were the worst offenders: low (well under 1000 feet), loud, and frequent
(constant on sunny weekends). I called the airport manager two or three
times, and got push back, so I stopped calling. Calling people at the FAA
was a complete waste of time, even when I spotted the N-number, which is
damned hard from the ground. They demand "proof," which they make
impossible to provide, and they refuse to investigate.

Then, to make matters worse, I find out the local airport, which is purely
GA and already has a 5000 ft runway, towered, the works, wants to do
"saftey improvements." Well, the "improvements" involve building another
runway and/or lengthening the existing runway to 5500 feet. All in the
name of "safety." Well, I may be crazy, but I am not stupid. No GA prop
plane needs that much asphalt to land safely. I know an expansion plan
disguised as safety project (to make it seem more politically palitable)
when I see it.

I attended the public info session on the "safety improvements". It was
obvious that the meeting was really just another bum rush. The only
people there were the presenters, interested (financially) parties, and
people upset about the noise. Armed with my research, I asked many
specific questions that they were not ready to answer. It was quite clear
that they simply wanted to check off the box required to get the 95% FAA
grant. Since the FAA and the airport gave us the bum rush already, I did
a bunch of additional research, and went the political/editorial route.

Then I uncovered dirt (admitted EPA violations by an FBO, a long expired
Part 150 study, key parts of which were never implemented and simply
shelved, requests to the sponsoring city for operating subsidies when the
city was already experiencing a budget crunch, etc.) I publicized it to
elected officials, government agencies (e.g EPA) and the press.

This used to be a pretty quiet area, but the airport has turned into a
major nuisance. Now, we are thinking of selling a property we recently
acquired and seriously thinking about moving somewhere else. To be honest
the noise levels have dropped considerably -- just a few a-holes now. Not
sure why: I don't bother calling the stupid airport anymore. Their
credibility registers as zero on my meter.

Anyway, the expansion project is on hold way due to environmental issues
(mainly water, as the airport unfortunately sits directly atop the
acquifer for the entire area). All we want is the airport to make a
better effort to enforce its existing noise abatement procedures, which
are routinely ignored by a small minority of fliers.

Old October 27th 05, 12:01 PM
Tom

Boo-****ing-hoo Skylune. I get annoyed when you crank up your leaf blower
every Sunday morning at 7:00am. I also get annoyed when your ****-bird kids
are running the neighborhood at 11:00pm acting like their dad.

But I live with it, because I have to, or move. That's an option for you
too, nimrod.

Tom

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
Thanks, Jim.

After I tried to be reasonable with the airport, then the FAA, then the
airport's paid consultant, by asking that the noise abatement procedures
be adhered to (safety permitting, obviously), and that the airport
actually implement the processes they themselves agreed to in a 1990 Part
150 study. No one ever asked for total silence, or that the airport be
shut down, etc. Nonetheless, I got nothing but grief and push back. Not
the best way to maintain good relations with the surrounding community,
IMO. It certainly set me off after a time. So I began my counterassault.

My research eventually led me to various news groups, including this one.
Great source of information as to what the pilots are thinking. I'll
admit
that some of my earlier posts were over-the-top and inappropriately
attacked the GA community as a whole.

The really ironic thing is, as I mentioned to Jay H, all this aviation
talk has helped reignite my interest in restarting my long-ago abandoned
training. If I do it, I'll find myself in the position of actually
patronizing the airport I was attacking. LOL.