Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

Old October 25th 05, 02:53 PM
newsgroups.comcast.net

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

If I was there with my daughter, and he started coming at me and my daughter
with a baton, I would have to consider doing a double tap, and one. Although
your way was for the best.

"AJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
I took my daughter to Linden Airport (that's in New Jersey). We stood
with a small crowd at the fence on the shopping mall side as planes
took off and landed. (This is where I got my interest in flying many
years ago.)

The police never came, but the guard came back, more belligerent than
before. Now he started shouting at the crowd and reaching for his
baton. I told him, "You hit me, and my lawyer will eat you for

Old October 25th 05, 03:58 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

And the government doesn't pay us NOT to produce corn.
They pay us the difference between the daily market price and the
government
posted price up to a maximum of $40,000 per year total. They also pay a
loan deficiency payment based on the per bushel price of corn that they
would loan using your corn as collateral vs. the actual market price, up
a maximum of $65,000 total for the crop year.

Where does the Constitution give the government the power to do that?

Not that I agree but I'd bet they would use an interstate commerce argument
if they had to defend it in court. They use it for just about everything
else.

Old October 25th 05, 04:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

Not that I agree but I'd bet they would use an interstate commerce
argument if they had to defend it in court. They use it for just about
everything else.

Yup. That's not a valid argument.

Old October 25th 05, 04:09 PM
Skylune

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution (long reply to Jay H.)

I'll think about the C-150 thing. That's the little plane I did some
training in about 15 years back (or was it a 152, i don't recall). I'm
going on 49: is that to late to pick up where I left off? I think not,
especially since I did training and can probably progress to the stall
stuff pretty fast. Anyway, what's to lose?

What this is all about: I and my family have owned properties in a
certain area of southern New Hampshire for years, with intent to retire
there. Over the years, the local airport (about five miles away) has
gotten busier and busier. Last summer, the noise was just out of control.
Low flights all hours of the day and night. A certain Mooney and Bonanza
were the worst offenders: low (well under 1000 feet), loud, and frequent
(constant on sunny weekends). I called the airport manager two or three
times, and got push back, so I stopped calling. Calling people at the FAA
was a complete waste of time, even when I spotted the N-number, which is
damned hard from the ground. They demand "proof," which they make
impossible to provide, and they refuse to investigate.

Then, to make matters worse, I find out the local airport, which is purely
GA and already has a 5000 ft runway, towered, the works, wants to do
"saftey improvements." Well, the "improvements" involve building another
runway and/or lengthening the existing runway to 5500 feet. All in the
name of "safety." Well, I may be crazy, but I am not stupid. No GA prop
plane needs that much asphalt to land safely. I know an expansion plan
disguised as safety project (to make it seem more politically palitable)
when I see it.

I attended the public info session on the "safety improvements". It was
obvious that the meeting was really just another bum rush. The only
people there were the presenters, interested (financially) parties, and
people upset about the noise. Armed with my research, I asked many
specific questions that they were not ready to answer. It was quite clear
that they simply wanted to check off the box required to get the 95% FAA
grant. Since the FAA and the airport gave us the bum rush already, I did
a bunch of additional research, and went the political/editorial route.

Then I uncovered dirt (admitted EPA violations by an FBO, a long expired
Part 150 study, key parts of which were never implemented and simply
shelved, requests to the sponsoring city for operating subsidies when the
city was already experiencing a budget crunch, etc.) I publicized it to
elected officials, government agencies (e.g EPA) and the press.

This used to be a pretty quiet area, but the airport has turned into a
major nuisance. Now, we are thinking of selling a property we recently
acquired and seriously thinking about moving somewhere else. To be honest
the noise levels have dropped considerably -- just a few a-holes now. Not
sure why: I don't bother calling the stupid airport anymore. Their
credibility registers as zero on my meter.

Anyway, the expansion project is on hold way due to environmental issues
(mainly water, as the airport unfortunately sits directly atop the
acquifer for the entire area). All we want is the airport to make a
better effort to enforce its existing noise abatement procedures, which
are routinely ignored by a small minority of fliers.

Old October 25th 05, 04:11 PM
Jim Burns

Actually it's in the USDA Ag budget. Congress says the USDA can have a
budget, then approves an amount. The USDA decides how it doles it out.
They can also go back to Congress and ask for emergency funds.... watch what
happens to the orange growers in FL this winter. Disaster assistance money
will flow through the USDA to them.

Jim

Old October 25th 05, 04:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

I'm always willing to try to explain the government subsidy program to
someone ONCE.

Can you explain where the Constitution gives the government the power to
create the subsidy program?

Old October 25th 05, 04:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

Actually it's in the USDA Ag budget. Congress says the USDA can have a
budget, then approves an amount. The USDA decides how it doles it out.
They can also go back to Congress and ask for emergency funds.... watch
what
happens to the orange growers in FL this winter. Disaster assistance
money
will flow through the USDA to them.

Where does the Constitution give the government the power to create the
USDA?

Old October 25th 05, 05:45 PM
John T

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Where does the Constitution give the government the power to create
the USDA?

As with other branches of the Executive, Congress didn't create the USDA -
they just fund it. In this case, Lincoln created the USDA in 1862.

The part I find myself scratching my head over is this (from
http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navtype=MA&navid=ABOUT_USDA):

"USDA brings housing, modern telecommunications, and safe drinking water to
rural America."

What do housing, telecommunications and drinking water have to do with
agriculture??

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old October 25th 05, 05:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John T" wrote in message
m...

As with other branches of the Executive, Congress didn't create the USDA -
they just fund it. In this case, Lincoln created the USDA in 1862.

But under what Constitutional authority?

Old October 25th 05, 06:19 PM
Jim Burns

"John T" wrote in message
m...
As with other branches of the Executive, Congress didn't create the USDA -
they just fund it. In this case, Lincoln created the USDA in 1862.
snip
--
John T

and before that versions of it were part of the Patents Department, then the
Department of Interior. Strange beginnings, but based around preserving and
improving seed genetics.
Jim