Pilot Suicides

Old March 7th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Pilot Suicides

On Mar 7, 2:46 pm, "Deadstick" wrote:
On Mar 7, 11:20 am, C J Campbell

wrote:
Student pilot Eric Johnson kills himself and his eight-year-old daughter by
slamming a plane into his former mother-in-law's house. The Indiana Star
notes that as a student pilot he was not allowed to carry passengers...
Apparently he practiced a few touch and goes before killing himself.

This seems to be getting to be a regular deal. Embry-Riddle instructors
killing themselves on the runway, other divorced pilots deliberately crashing
into houses, people jumping out of airplanes on final and landing on power
lines so that their severed torsos splat a few feet away from small children.

Ah yes. Suicide is such a beautiful, noble thing, according to some people.
This is a trend I would really like to see stop.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

FBO owners should be held more directly responsible for who they rent
aircraft to. I think we will find that the aircraft dispatch
procedures were NOT adequate. Proper dispatch procedures might have
prevented this particular tragedy.

Should all FBOs be required to hire people to work the desk 24x7? I
know some FBOs that assign card lock cards with a security code to
pilots. The computer doesn't know if a student pilot has someone
standing next to him.

-Robert

Old March 7th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 7, 2:57 pm, "Tom Conner" wrote:
"Deadstick" wrote in message

ps.com...

Unfortunately, the insurance company will end up paying
for the FBOs negligence and nobody will have learned anything.

When an FBO loses (crashes) a plane does their insurance go up like car
insurance does?

Yes, very much. There is a pretty big discount for zero claims. After
the first big claim the rate goes up a lot. At some point the
insurance gets dropped. For an FBO getting insurance is often the
biggest challenge. Its much harder to get than owner's policies.

-Robert

Old March 7th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 7, 2:46 pm, "Deadstick" wrote:
Should all FBOs be required to hire people to work the desk 24x7? I
know some FBOs that assign card lock cards with a security code to
pilots. The computer doesn't know if a student pilot has someone
standing next to him.

-Robert

True, but a student pilot should not have those security codes.
Crash Lander

Old March 7th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 3/7/2007 5:46:27 PM, "Deadstick" wrote:

FBO owners should be held more directly responsible for who they rent
aircraft to. I think we will find that the aircraft dispatch
procedures were NOT adequate. Proper dispatch procedures might have
prevented this particular tragedy.

How can you possibly conclude that? Did you actually witness the transaction?

You have no idea how the deranged father handled this situation. I could
conjure up a couple of scenarios where it appeared I was alone to rent the
aircraft, but then quickly pass a smaller child past a busy FBO counter to a
waiting aircraft.

--
Peter
Old March 7th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:

Add a psychological evaluation to the medical.

NASA doesn't seem to be able to weed out potential nut
jobs, and the screening process for astronauts is way
more thorough (I would imagine) than anything that could
possibly be implemented with a once every two years (or
three) medical examination by your AME.

--Sylvain
Old March 7th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

FBO owners should be held more directly responsible for who they rent
aircraft to.

Be careful what you ask for. The consequence of this is FBOs (like at
Westchester) that won't rent to you if it's cloudy.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 7th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

For what it's worth, the AP did report that Eric Johnson got his
pilot's license the day his divorce became final, last October.

On Mar 7, 3:39 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Mar 7, 9:20 am, C J Campbell

wrote:
Student pilot Eric Johnson kills himself and his eight-year-old daughter by
slamming a plane into his former mother-in-law's house. The Indiana Star
notes that as a student pilot he was not allowed to carry passengers...
Apparently he practiced a few touch and goes before killing himself.

This seems to be getting to be a regular deal. Embry-Riddle instructors
killing themselves on the runway, other divorced pilots deliberately crashing
into houses, people jumping out of airplanes on final and landing on power
lines so that their severed torsos splat a few feet away from small children.

Ah yes. Suicide is such a beautiful, noble thing, according to some people.
This is a trend I would really like to see stop.

Surprising that the FBO rented the plane to a student pilot with his
daughter.

-Robert

Old March 7th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Opps -- don't trust the AP. Another report says

Johnson was not licensed to have passengers on board the plane unless
accompanied by an instructor, according to the Federal Aviation
Administration. The FAA's online records show Johnson had a student
pilot certificate as of Nov. 14, 2006

wrote:
Student pilot Eric Johnson kills himself and his eight-year-old daughter by
slamming a plane into his former mother-in-law's house. The Indiana Star
notes that as a student pilot he was not allowed to carry passengers...
Apparently he practiced a few touch and goes before killing himself.

This seems to be getting to be a regular deal. Embry-Riddle instructors
killing themselves on the runway, other divorced pilots deliberately crashing
into houses, people jumping out of airplanes on final and landing on power
lines so that their severed torsos splat a few feet away from small children.

Ah yes. Suicide is such a beautiful, noble thing, according to some people.
This is a trend I would really like to see stop.

Surprising that the FBO rented the plane to a student pilot with his
daughter.

-Robert- Hide quoted text -

Old March 8th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 7, 3:09 pm, "Crash Lander" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in glegroups.com...

On Mar 7, 2:46 pm, "Deadstick" wrote:
Should all FBOs be required to hire people to work the desk 24x7? I
know some FBOs that assign card lock cards with a security code to
pilots. The computer doesn't know if a student pilot has someone
standing next to him.

-Robert

True, but a student pilot should not have those security codes.

Why not? I've been assigning the codes to my students as soon as they
are soloed.

-Robert

Old March 8th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 7, 3:46 pm, "Tony" wrote:
For what it's worth, the AP did report that Eric Johnson got his
pilot's license the day his divorce became final, last October.

Could have been "student pilots 'license'" though.

-Robert