Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 22nd 05, 12:54 PM
Jay Honeck

- The FAA, from the Federal Airport Improvement Program, will pay 90%
of the costs for airport improvement (runway widening or extension or
resurfacing, taxiways, aprons, and so forth).

That's because the Feds have decided that maintaining an aviation
infrastructure is in the interest of the country, and they understand that a
local government entity is too small to pay the entire bill. Thus, they
spread the cost over many users, rather than over just the few in (for
example) Iowa City, Iowa.

Now I suppose that premise is open to debate, too -- but that's the concept
at the heart of the Federal subsidy. In that regard, runways are no
different than freeways. We all pay for them -- and we all get to use
them, if we choose.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 05, 12:56 PM
Jay Honeck

We do, indeed, have the most dunderheaded legal system ever devised by
man.

Yes, but are you willing to admit that makes YOU a dunderhead? That is,
will you agree with the French who express their disbelief that people so
dunderheaded ever spawned men like Thomas Jefferson and John Adams?

Sadly, I suppose, I must indeed share the blame for having done NOTHING to
fix our incredibly broken legal system.

I fear nothing short of revolution will clear the decks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 05, 12:58 PM
Jay Honeck

do you really think because of your security improvements (aheeem) since
'then' there has been no further attack by plane?

Yes.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 05, 01:04 PM
Jay Honeck

Move to the city - then there'll be plenty of nearby kids. That will
always be a problem in a rural area. If you live in high-density housing
in a large city, there will always be random outdoor activities for
groups of kids.

We live in a city of 65,000, in a metropolitan area of over 120,000.

True, it's not "high density housing" -- something most of us fight all of
our lives to escape, at least in the Midwest. Having worked for the
Chicago Tribune, there is no way I would live in a big city -- not for all
the money in the world.

My regular gaming friends live in
England, Finland, Germany and the Czech Republic. Unfortunately, ping
times are too bad to the US, I'd like to be able to play games with
friends over there.

For those of us past 45, can you please explain what that phrase means?
What's a "ping time"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 05, 01:47 PM
Dave Stadt

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Morgans wrote:

"Dave Stadt" wrote

Get used to it, China is the up and coming manufacturing world power.

They

will do what Japan did in the '60s and '70s at a scale that will make

what
Japan did look like childs play.

I know, but I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT.

I CERTAINLY don't have to buy it.

Is this same thing happening in Europe?

How many years will it be until China's quality comes up, like Japan

finally
did?

I'm estimating 3-5 years.

Matt

In some cases, electronics for example, it is there already.

Old April 22nd 05, 01:52 PM
Dave Stadt

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

You would think after the train bombings in Spain, there would be as

much --

as much as what?

or more -- security efforts expended on them?

hu? why? we _are_ crazy, but not _that_ crazy. (You only have to check

what
crazy things the secretary for internal affairs in Germany has in mind)

do you really think because of your security improvements (aheeem) since
'then' there has been no further attack by plane?

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg

In fact our own government says airport security has not improved since 9/11
and in fact the current government run security is not as effective as was
the privately run security. This is no surprise to me.

Old April 22nd 05, 02:03 PM
Dave Stadt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Now you've done it, Jim, you racist pig. How DARE you launch a

wholesale
assault on another culture?

Chuckle

;-)

Hey, I wonder how many years (months?) it will be before GA in China
over-takes what's left of GA in France?

ducking!

You better! g

Seriously, though, at least France has some degree of personal freedom

left.

The pity is, China is giving us (the US) exzacary what they want. Cheap,

at
all costs. I hope we wake up, before it is too late, and we have no
manufacturing and quality in the US, but I fear we will not.

I hope the consensus standards board, or if the Symphony (or any other
made in China airplanes) are to be certified, I hope they tear it apart

stem
to stern, and check every part for hardness, fatigue, and any other test
they can think of. I can only imagine airplanes falling from the sky,

just
like the public thinks is going to happen. One thing for certain; I will
not be flying in a made in China airplane.

I wonder how many others feel the same way.
--
Jim in NC

I have time in a Nanching (sp). It is an excellent airplane, solid airframe
and bullet proof engine. I don't see a problem as long as they don't use
Rotax engines.

Old April 22nd 05, 02:04 PM
Dylan Smith

In article SK5ae.8698$NU4.1859@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:
My regular gaming friends live in
England, Finland, Germany and the Czech Republic. Unfortunately, ping
times are too bad to the US, I'd like to be able to play games with
friends over there.

For those of us past 45, can you please explain what that phrase means?
What's a "ping time"?

Think of a submarine's SONAR. It goes 'ping'. The ping bounces off
another submarine, and back to a transducer on the submarine that did
the pinging. You can measure your distance to the other sub by measuring
this time. The ping time is the round-trip time it took for the
ping to go from your sub, be reflected off the other sub, and get back
to your sub. Or think of how DME measures distances - by sending a
signal to the DME station, which then returns it, and then the box in
your panel works out the distance to the station from the round trip
time.

On the internet, your ping time is how long the round trip is from your
computer to a remote computer. On a LAN, ping times are measured in
fractions of milliseconds. On the internet, on hosts within a few
hundred miles, ping times will be in tens of milliseconds. On the
internet, to a host that's thousands of miles away, the ping time will
be in hundreds of milliseconds. Over a satellite link, ping times may be
in excess of a second. (Ever seen those live satellite linkups on TV
where there's quite an obvious pause from when the interviewer finishes
asking the question, to when the interviewee starts responding?)

On the internet, ping time (or latency) is affected by many factors,
such as how full your internet pipe is, what the transfer speed of the
internet pipe is, how big the packet is you send etc. It is also
affected by the speed of light through fibreoptics and the number of
routers and repeaters the data must pass through. Therefore, ping times
between Europe and the US - although more than adequate for web
browsing, chatting on IRC etc. are often not good enough for fast-paced
action games.

To play a highly interactive 3D game, which simulates some real world
situation, having a low ping time is important, because the actions of
the different players must be reasonably synchronized for the game to
make sense. For some online games, ping time is less important - think
of a turn-based strategy game.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 22nd 05, 02:16 PM
Stefan

Martin Hotze wrote:

and AFAIK there is still no 100% prove who was the group behind the

Yes, it is. Well, as 100% as you can tell before the court, anyway.

bombing. Aren't the Basques (sp?) still one possibility? no idea.

No. The former conservative government tried to tell so to gain a few
votes in the election. They got what they deserved for this disgusting
maneuvre. Just another difference between Europe and the USA.

Stefan
Old April 22nd 05, 02:46 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Peter" wrote in message
Dave Stadt wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

We have some fast trains too but we can't get them to stop so they have
been mothballed for a while.

The Boston to Washington high speed train is not running due to not being
able to get brake parts. Anybody know where that train is made?

According to the news report on the brake rotors they come from the
consortium of Canada's Bombardier and France's Alstom.

So it is the France and French Canadian's fault. THat explains things.

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 07:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM