Ultralight Air Racing

Old February 11th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DABEAR

Default Ultralight Air Racing

I notice where a group in Europe is reviving the Schnieder Cup Trophy
races using ultralight seaplanes.

I was curious if there were any Ultralight races, land or sea, going
on here in the United States or North America?

Old February 11th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On 11 Feb 2007 02:26:05 -0800, "DABEAR" wrote:

I notice where a group in Europe is reviving the Schnieder Cup Trophy
races using ultralight seaplanes.

IIRC, it wasn't "ultralight," but "microlight." The European microlight is
larger than the Part 103 birds... I believe it was a Zenair that won the first
race of the resurrected event.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 12th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DABEAR

IIRC, it wasn't "ultralight," but "microlight." The European microlight is
larger than the Part 103 birds... I believe it was a Zenair that won the first
race of the resurrected event.

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting...which leads me to four more questions...(sorry G!):

....are all of the seaplane versions of the "Ultralight" considered
"Microlights," how much weight do the floats add to an Ultralight/
Microlight, does the additional weight/drag of floats require a larger
aircraft/engine (versus Ultralight rules) and are Microlights racing
here in the U.S., either Cross Country, or in particular, closed
course over lakes and/or fields?

It seems to me such events would be a lot of fun and if used for
marketing and promotional purposes, you could hold "Advertising
events" promoting a major U.S. Air Racing event weeks in advance, to
stir local and national interest while limiting the expense of the
smaller events.

The Ultralights and/or Microlights would be representative of the
speeds of the first Rheims racers in August, 1909. A fly past at a
promotional event by a member of the other Classes of racing,
especially Unlimiteds, would lend an exciting contrast to the
promotional event, allowing spectators to comprehend just how fast the
main event races will be versus ultralight speeds.

Might be as inexpesive as handing out printing up thousands of flyers
and using up the manhours to distribute them over a wide area, except
for the issue of insurance costs for the smaller events, unless the
smaller events could be incorporated into the larger policy of the
main event. Your static display and booths could advertise the larger
event at each locale your mini-race visits in the surrounding area of
the main event.

The Press can be invited in with televised and radio news stories
replacing advertising and eliminating wantonly high advertising costs.

Speaking of insurance, I notice that Cannon Insurance seems to be the
only agency handling race or event insurance...hard to believe this is
true. Does anyone know of any other insurance companies providing
coverage for such events (?), beyond Lloyds, which will pretty much
cover anything if the money issues can be worked out...

....where do events go for their insurance needs?

Finally, I am unfamiliar with the pilot qualification rules for
Ultralights and Microlights...could someone explain those. I had
heard at one time that Ultralight pilots, for example, had no FAA
oversight, but that the FAA later came in with some rules
applications. So I'm curious how the rules issue stands here at the
beginning of 2007, and any contrast to what has existed beforehand,
from the time of the first flight of an Ultralight...

....and what is recognized as the first flight of an Ultralight
aircraft in the U.S. and/or elsewhere, by what aircraft, pilot and
when? Is there a "History" site specifically for Ultralight and/or
Microlight aircraft? Are those the only two categories of lightweight
aircraft or are there more?

Thanks!

Old February 13th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On 12 Feb 2007 12:08:34 -0800, "DABEAR" wrote:

IIRC, it wasn't "ultralight," but "microlight." The European microlight is
larger than the Part 103 birds... I believe it was a Zenair that won the first
race of the resurrected event.

Interesting...which leads me to four more questions...(sorry G!):

...are all of the seaplane versions of the "Ultralight" considered
"Microlights," how much weight do the floats add to an Ultralight/
Microlight, does the additional weight/drag of floats require a larger
aircraft/engine (versus Ultralight rules) and are Microlights racing
here in the U.S., either Cross Country, or in particular, closed
course over lakes and/or fields?

"Microlight" is a European aircraft definition; it has no validity in the US.
Its closest equivalent is a Light Sport Aircraft.

It's defined in JAR-1, and limits the aircraft to a maximum weight of 495 kg for
a two-seat amphibian or floatplane (vs. 300 kg for a single-seat landplane), a
maximum wing loading, and a stall speed less than 35 knots.

http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/500969.pdf

The weight limits are stricter that Light Sport, as is the stall speed
requirement, although there doesn't seem to be a max speed limit.

Ron Wanttaja

Air Racing Calendar Shortz Home Built 0 November 9th 06 12:18 AM
Air Racing In Mississippi Shortz General Aviation 0 August 11th 05 07:40 AM
Air Racing Comes to the South Shortz Home Built 0 August 11th 05 07:32 AM
Air Racing Comes to the South Shortz Home Built 0 August 11th 05 07:31 AM
New fun racing format Kirk Stant Soaring 1 October 8th 03 06:46 AM