Laptop GPS/map software

Old March 24th 05, 09:17 PM
Eric Greenwell

Last year at the Hobbs Region 9 contest the CM used a PC program for
providing driving directions to crews based on GPS coordinates reported
by wayward pilots. Can someone tell me what software that was?

I need to get something like that for me and crew to use (PC based),
with the additional feature that after giving it a latitude/longitude
destination, it will give you driving directions, dynamically, based on
your current GPS position (as opposed to a set of static directions
that end with "Rotsa Ruck").

The laptop based systems work OK if you have space to put the laptop and
don't mess with it while you are driving. Using a keyboard is fiddly,
the screens can be hard to see, but if a passenger is using it, it can
be OK. Some motorhomes have a dash that makes it easy to mount one, but
most cars and trucks don't.

If you want a real car navigation system, something designed for the
task is better. The software is more expensive. I use TomTom Navigator
"4" for USA (tomtom.com - version 5 due out soon), which runs on my
glider's backup Ipaq 2215. The Ipaq mounts on the dash where it's easy
to hear the spoken instructions and the screen is easy to see, and the
touch screen makes interaction simple. It's easy enough to use that my
non-geek wife is willing to use it when she's trying to make the
motorhome arrive at the same strange airport I'm heading for.

It's also very useful while traveling, glider related or not,
particularly around cities and towns. It moves from the car to the
motorhome in a couple minutes.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old March 25th 05, 12:11 AM

Eric, does TomTom Navimagator allow you to enter a lat/lon as a
destination? The scenario I'm trying to plan for is (1) landing out in
some distant gawdforesaken patch of desert dust, (2) radioing or
cellphoning my GPS coordinates to my wife, (3) she punches those into
the "guidance system" and listens to it the rest of the way. (My wife
too is not technology orientated. It doesn't scare her, but she needs
it to be simple.)

My first choice is to use my existing laptop but will go with an iPAQ
if it's more effective.

Oh and I have this update on Microsoft Streets & Trips -- I figured out
how to specify a lat/lon as a distination. First, clear the existing
route, if there is one. Then start a new route with Ctrl-R. In the
Route Planner, click the "Add to Route" button (I had never tried this
before without an address or a place name in the text box!). In the
dialog that comes up, there is a "Lat/Long" tab. The software is smart
enough to interpret "34.5" and "34 30 0" as the same latitude. So I'm
set on software if I stick with the laptop -- but this TomTom sounds
intriguing.

-ted
Chandler AZ
USA
Earth
Solar System
Milky Way

Old March 25th 05, 01:28 AM
Eric Greenwell

Eric, does TomTom Navimagator allow you to enter a lat/lon as a
destination?

My version 4.4 doesn't, and I couldn't tell by the preliminary reviews
if the new version 5 allows it. It's been a requested feature. I've
queried the newsgroup on
www.pocketgpsworld.com and will let you know
when I hear something.

The scenario I'm trying to plan for is (1) landing out in
some distant gawdforesaken patch of desert dust, (2) radioing or
cellphoning my GPS coordinates to my wife, (3) she punches those into
the "guidance system" and listens to it the rest of the way. (My wife
too is not technology orientated. It doesn't scare her, but she needs
it to be simple.)

ONe of the reasons I went with TomTom software is it's reputation for
very easy use, and it is much easier than either MS Streets & Trips or
Delorme stuff, which I use on the desktop for major trip planning.

My first choice is to use my existing laptop but will go with an iPAQ
if it's more effective.

You should try it with a laptop and GPS, even it it's just borrowed
stuff; in fact, just take a laptop out to the crew car and see if you
like the idea, and if you can imagine your wife dealing with it. I
didn't think it was something I wanted to use, especially while driving
alone, but I know many RV people use them. They have BIG dashes to set
them on, of course, and usually their spouse to operate it.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old March 25th 05, 05:07 PM
Jay (3D)

One of the reasons that we went with the DeLorme is that in its newer
versions it is actually very easy to use. When trying to find the
route, you can just enter the lat/long in the destination window in
virtually any format and it figures out what you mean and sets the
route. We do use it in the motorhome on the big dash but have a Jotto
Desk that we can put in and out of the toad (or any of the other cars)
in just a few seconds. On an articulated mount, the Jotto Desk can be
positioned to put the laptop screen in easy view of the driver and the
voice command function means that you don't need to be fiddling with
keys while driving.

Jay

Old March 26th 05, 04:48 PM
Eric Greenwell

Jay (3D) wrote:

One of the reasons that we went with the DeLorme is that in its newer
versions it is actually very easy to use. When trying to find the
route, you can just enter the lat/long in the destination window in
virtually any format and it figures out what you mean and sets the
route. We do use it in the motorhome on the big dash but have a Jotto
Desk that we can put in and out of the toad (or any of the other cars)
in just a few seconds. On an articulated mount, the Jotto Desk can be
positioned to put the laptop screen in easy view of the driver and the
voice command function means that you don't need to be fiddling with
keys while driving.

That sounds good! I didn't know they did that.

There are other choices that have worthwhile features and could be
considered. Garmin makes quite a range of car navigation capable units,
and many of these also have the aviation databases. There are other PDA
programs like TomTom that will run on Palm PDAs, Pocket PC, and even on
cell phones like the Treo 650, and units made by Navman and others.

The most important consideration is the acceptance of the intended user,
so it's best to involve them as soon as possible. Too many pilots choose
things (crew car, crew radio, whatever) that they like, instead of what
their crew will like. It makes choosing something harder when you
consider the crew, but then you have a happy crew that actually uses the
stuff.

My wife's advice is simple: "Land at airports and get an aerotow retrieve"!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA