Which airplane for LSA club?

Old June 1st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Which airplane for LSA club?

Hey folks,

I'm starting a flying club with a Light-Sport Aircraft and I can't
decide what type of plane to buy. (I'm going to buy and then sell the
shares. Doing it the other way around seems to lead to nothing but talk
and procrastination.)

I, personally, have become infatuated with light amphibians like the
Buccaneer II and Avid Catalina. However, I suspect there would be a
broader market for a factory plane like an Aeronca Champ/Chief or
Luscombe 8A.

What's your opinion? Would you buy into an experimental amphibian?

Thanks,
Mike

Old June 1st 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Al" wrote in message

I've thought about this, but don't have the bucks to underwrite it. See:

http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/mermainmain.html

Al

The Mermain is nice ... I like the Sport Cruiser too...

Jay B

Old June 2nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey folks,

I'm starting a flying club with a Light-Sport Aircraft and I can't
decide what type of plane to buy. (I'm going to buy and then sell the
shares. Doing it the other way around seems to lead to nothing but talk
and procrastination.)

I, personally, have become infatuated with light amphibians like the
Buccaneer II and Avid Catalina. However, I suspect there would be a
broader market for a factory plane like an Aeronca Champ/Chief or
Luscombe 8A.

What's your opinion? Would you buy into an experimental amphibian?

Thanks,
Mike

The sLSA 601XL might be worth looking at not an amphib but the 601XLi is IFR
approved for the NON-LSA club members.

Old June 3rd 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Al wrote:
It's all about insurance.

Having said that...I, for one, would love to be in a club with a Zenith
Zodiac 601.

Al
1964 Cessna 172

No kidding.

I was in the FBO this morning and asked the chief instructor when their
172RG was going back on line from it's gear up some months ago.

I was told it wasn't; the insurance on the RG is eating them alive.

I then asked about their announced plans to get into LSA.

I was told it was up in the air. It seems the insurance company
doesn't have any history on LSA so the rates reflect a worst case
estimate.

They are looking at other insurance but don't hold out much hope for
either RGs (especially Cessna singles) or LSA for the near future.

snip

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Mike,

I am new to your group, but have been around the hangar for a long
time. If I may suggest before you purchase an aircraft to check out my
web site: www.stacheair.com I wrote a book that can help you decide
how and what to do to purchase a aircraft with address, telephone
numbers, web address and lots of information to assist you. On the
site your will find a Light-Sport and Experimental aircraft section.

I hope the information provided can assist you in your search.

Stache

Old June 3rd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I can tell you that amphibians are pretty complex aircraft to fly and
have a very high accident rate. Seaplanes in general have a high
accident rate and add on gear failures and incorrect gear postition.
Fraught with peril. For a partnership, suggest you stick with land
plane.