Differences between Garmin 295 and 196?

Old January 22nd 04, 11:50 PM
carlos

Default Differences between Garmin 295 and 196?

I'm in the market for a moving-map aviation GPS, and trying to decide
between Garmin's color 295 and their grayscale 196.

The 196 is a newer model, has a better screen and more functions, but the
295 offers a color screen. (Why Garmin doesn't offer a color 196, I don't
understand. They already offer the 176C, which is a marine version of the
196 in color - Does anyone know why????).

So, is there anyone with experience with both GPSs (the 295 and 196)? Any
comments? Recommendations?

Thanks,

CGP.

PS: This is for a 1977 Cessna 206.

Old January 23rd 04, 12:01 AM
C J Campbell

"carlos" wrote in message
| I'm in the market for a moving-map aviation GPS, and trying to decide
| between Garmin's color 295 and their grayscale 196.
|
| The 196 is a newer model, has a better screen and more functions, but the
| 295 offers a color screen. (Why Garmin doesn't offer a color 196, I don't
| understand. They already offer the 176C, which is a marine version of the
| 196 in color - Does anyone know why????).
|
| So, is there anyone with experience with both GPSs (the 295 and 196)? Any
| comments? Recommendations?

Yes. Wait for the GARMIN 296, which is due out in a few weeks. It is a color
version of the 196. GARMIN has let a few people see the 296, on pain of
death if they reveal its existence -- which is the surest way to get free
publicity that I know of.

I personally have used the 295 ever since it came out. It is a nice unit,
but battery life is relatively short compared to the 195, which was its
black and white contemporary. It has a lot more features than the 195,
though. The 196 does have a better screen, but the additional functions
don't seem all that useful. Who really wants to keep their logbook on a GPS?

Old January 23rd 04, 01:06 AM
Dude

The 196 does have a better screen, but the additional functions
don't seem all that useful. Who really wants to keep their logbook on a

GPS?

Do you not think the backup panel is useful? I haven't seen one, but that
sounds useful to me.

As for the logbook, I agree that it doesn't sound too useful. This comment
struck a chord with me because it always feels like I am paying extra for
functionality I don't want.

OUT

Old January 23rd 04, 02:11 AM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:01:48 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"carlos" wrote in message
| I'm in the market for a moving-map aviation GPS, and trying to decide
| between Garmin's color 295 and their grayscale 196.
|
| The 196 is a newer model, has a better screen and more functions, but the
| 295 offers a color screen. (Why Garmin doesn't offer a color 196, I don't
| understand. They already offer the 176C, which is a marine version of the
| 196 in color - Does anyone know why????).
|
| So, is there anyone with experience with both GPSs (the 295 and 196)? Any
| comments? Recommendations?

Yes. Wait for the GARMIN 296, which is due out in a few weeks. It is a color
version of the 196. GARMIN has let a few people see the 296, on pain of
death if they reveal its existence -- which is the surest way to get free
publicity that I know of.

I personally have used the 295 ever since it came out. It is a nice unit,
but battery life is relatively short compared to the 195, which was its
black and white contemporary. It has a lot more features than the 195,
though. The 196 does have a better screen, but the additional functions
don't seem all that useful. Who really wants to keep their logbook on a GPS?

I have a 295. Flown with it for about 3 years. It is great, I would
buy another in a hearbeat. The color display is great as well,
although I've not flown with a 196, I've seen them in AvShops, and
prefer the 295 display.

If there really is a 296 coming out - it would be worth the wait - and
the additional cost.

-Nathan

Old January 23rd 04, 02:52 AM
Joe Dubner

I played with the "backup panel" feature of my Garmin 196 but decided it
wasn't of any value unless I practiced flying with it a lot (something I
don't want to do as I'd have to give up the moving map to use it).
Everyone I know personally flying with a 196 has turned that feature
off. I generally fly with the moving map/HSI screen.

OTOH, I find the logbook very useful. I don't "keep a logbook on the
GPS"; I download the logbook to a PC periodically where the log is kept,
then I clear the GPS log. It has some cute features: it records the
number of landings, maximum speed and altitude reached on each flight
for what that's worth. I like the sunrise/sunset display too -- helps
me figure out ETA with respect to darkness.

I feel like I got a lot of value for the $840 I paid for it six months
ago. Bit I wish it had an obstruction database like my two Lowrance
Airmaps that eventually croaked.

--
Joe
Long-EZ 821RP

Old January 23rd 04, 04:04 AM
Dale

I have used the 195 & 295. Now I own the 196. So far the 196 is the best
of the bunch in my opinion. Yes the color is cool, but the processor speed
of the 195 & 295 is to slow. When it comes to using the cursor on screen or
just moving from 1 page to another the 196 is very fast. Now when I use a
195 ro 295 I really notice the speed difference. I would not give up my
196 for a 295, but I will sure take a look at the 296 when it comes out.

Dale (FFZ-AZ)

Old January 23rd 04, 07:47 AM
Dude

Hmm, I think that panel may be worth a lot during a vacuum failure, but
maybe not without any practice.

As much as I love computers, I still keep my log by hand. Maybe when I
finish getting through a few more ratings, and don't need the instructors
signature all the time, I will try a computer log.

Old January 23rd 04, 11:36 AM
Thomas Borchert

Carlos,

Did you look at the Lowrance 1000, too? Quite interesting.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 23rd 04, 02:01 PM
Rosspilot

I fly with the 196 and LOVE it. I would use the panel page in an emergency
only, as I use the moving map page 95% of the time.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old January 23rd 04, 03:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Did you look at the Lowrance 1000, too? Quite interesting.

And check out the AvMap color GPS. It's awesome!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA