first member of the Hanoi Chapter of EAA

Old February 20th 04, 12:07 AM
Badwater Bill

All this guy wanted was a little freedom. He is lucky they got there in
time to stop him from doing what they drove him to do in the first place.
The design didn't really matter, the results were likely to be fatal anyway.
IIRC, Russian truck engines were never really known for a high power to
weight ratio.

Well put. I have to quote you because it was so good:

"He's lucky they got there in time to stop him from doing what they
drove him to do in the first place!"

That is well put and required some good thinking. You are not RAH
material, go away, you are too intelligent for this group. ;--)

BWB

Old February 20th 04, 06:09 PM
pacplyer

(Badwater Bill) wrote in message . ..
snip
I got your phone number. I've just been flying all this week. If you
get to Vegas next weekend, call me. Just got back from Provo
yesterday. Damn IFR wx is getting me down. Our boss is buying us a
C-414 now. I get to spend today in it reading manuals on how to
operate that new Garmin 530 with the TCAS and the METAR links.

****, I'll leave you alone for a while then. Nothing worse in the
world than having to learn a new airplane and it's systems when the
relatives want to come to town to distract you. (we must be related
since Dr. "a" says were the same person.) ;-) Funny how he/she
disappeared.

That
think is so cool you can request the radar images from from
ground-based radar facilities through the satellites and get it in
real time from the ground stations. So, now we don't need expensive
on-board radar to see our way around imbedded thunderstorms, or TCAS.
They call the new traffic avoidance system, TIS (Traffic Information
System). It shows the targets that ATC is seeing and transmitting you
us on our moving map display. We get an audio alert when a new target
poses a problem to us. The computer calculates their position at the
next pass of the ground based radar antenna and projects that on my
screen. It also gives a vector showing which way the Target is
moving, his altitude and whether he is climbing of descending. Pretty
cool

snip good description of FD op

Wow. How far out can you expand to see the targets? I've always
wanted this capability. You could see how many guys are lining up for
the approach, which appr they're using. Neat stuff like that, so you
could mentally expect holding instruction from ATC, start slowing down
without being told etc. The TCAS we use is great, but you can only
see conflicts out to 12 miles away. You're going to be surprised
Bill, when you operate into Vegas during peak hours with this traffic
display, at how many times controllers are going to call traffic to
you in error. They'll say "BWB414Titan, opposite direction F-16
traffic, ten o'clock five miles same altitude turn right 30 degrees,
break other disasters bla bla bla, break, break break….etc) You'll
look out the windscreen at ten o'clock and see nothing. Then you'll
look down at your display and see a yellow going to red target at two
o'clock, look back up to two o'clock, and bingo, there he is. No time
with inefficient voice to get permission from mother earth to nix the
30 degree right order (which would have turned you right into him.)
But that controller's only human, and the gov isn't going to relieve
his peak workload until somebody get's killed *and* there's no way to
blame it on wx or pilot error etc, *and* it makes prime time. Don't
even point out the controller's **** up to him, because he'll just
have a Mallox moment for a second, and in that second somebody else on
the scope loses a traffic call-out by him. But that TCAS/TIS is neat,
neat stuff to have on board. Every time this happens a ****-eating
grin will slowly creep across your face and you'll know you're a great
pilot. But in the Cargo dog world, we won't get this neat stuff
until another near-miss with Air Force One (that's what mandated TCAS
last time for freighters.) I'm jealous of your new toys you mo fo.
;-)

Just takes hours and hours to read about and learn which
buttons to push. Hopefully I can do it about 20 times and get it

down
to a reflex.

snips

Anyway, I gotta go sit in the airplane cockpit for a few hours and
read this stuff. I can't think of a better way to spend my day.

BWB

That is how I learned every machine I ever flew. Spending hours in
the cockpit with the manual, a thermos of Java, and the black boxes
all ginned-up, to the great annoyance of mechanics (run down
batteries,) chief pilots, (big jet-A bill from running the APU,) and
management, "you weren't qualified/authorized on the equipment…neiter
neiter neiter …..
But the guys who weren't willing to do this always had "the nursing
home stare" during the oral exam because they only understood the book
theory and had no real practical experience and couldn't answer tough
questions about how to run the systems. :-o Or they suddenly got the
"deer in the headlights stare" on the first FAA oral questions. 8-o

Or worse, they got Santa Claused on the checkride and later f$#*ed up
the programming over the Atlantic somewhere and got a GNE. (which
leads to all kinds of unpleasantness including extra check rides and
unpaid vacations.

This is what really happened to KAL flight 007. Korean flights had
been off course and lost a bunch of times before the ruskies finally
got tired of it and a hero of the state shot them down. I used to
hear Tokyo repeatedly asking KAL flights to explain why they were five
minutes off their estimate (clue #1 that you have either mistyped your
coordinates or the airplane is pointed in the wrong direction in Hdg
Sel, cuz you were going around wx and forgot to return to nav mode, or
the command feature of the A/P just clicked down into manual mode
(wing leveler) without any noise. Just being in the same airspace
with Korean was a hazard. Their English was so poor they often
misunderstood what everybody else was doing. If those guys would
have at least studied on the ground, in the airplane with the manual a
little bit, it would have prevented them from smearing aluminum all
over the pacific (and killing a lot of innocent pax.)

I have the utmost respect for single-pilot-IFR operators. That is by
far, some of the most demanding flying I have ever done. I know BWB
knows this, but for any doctors or lawyers out there, just don't get
over-reliant on the flight directors. They can and will sometime
steer you into a mountain (esp. glass stuff.) Good Capts on
multi-crew intentionally ;-) screw up the FGS (flight guidance system)
that steers the FD's to see if their rookie co-pilots are "looking
through" the command bars or wands or"birds" at the raw data.
Nugget's who fly dot's through the localizer and try to blame the
other guy for not programming the FD correctly: Would get killed if
they flew by themselves. Non-reliance on guidance or ATC is the mark
of a "real stick." Real drivers always distrust the FD's and
continuously cross-check the steering commands with raw data. (G/S,
Loc,etc) (kind of like the government: you still use them, but at the
same time you really don't trust em'.) Good jocks calc a 3 to 1
descent mentally every five thousand feet and 3 degree on approach
(which is hard to do when you're busy.). Many airlines don't stress
the need for dumping the automation fast enough when it becomes
suspect. Most of the violations and fubars at my joint were caused by
guys trying to analyze why the thing did what it did. "what's it
doing now?" instead of just disconnecting and going to the lowest
level of automation: da pilot.

Lastly when you're doing a lot of IMC, take cat-naps in the closets of
FBO's (some have rooms for free if you gas and know to ask,) e.g.
while waiting for wx to lift, or nap in the airplane if you've got a
co-pilot. NASA studies show, those who do have 90% fewer errors in
the appr and landing phase.

Thus endeth the sermon today
(and you guys thought I wasn't religious!)

pacplyer - out
Old February 21st 04, 03:04 AM
Badwater Bill

Lastly when you're doing a lot of IMC, take cat-naps in the closets of
FBO's (some have rooms for free if you gas and know to ask,) e.g.
while waiting for wx to lift, or nap in the airplane if you've got a
co-pilot. NASA studies show, those who do have 90% fewer errors in
the appr and landing phase.

Thus endeth the sermon today
(and you guys thought I wasn't religious!)

pacplyer - out

Nice job Pac. I'd love to comment, but guess what? I gotta go out
and fly to Sandy Eggo in this **** tonight. Can you believe this
horse ****? Raining like hell in Vegas. Wall to wall clouds all the
way to Hawaii and they want to go to San Diego tonight...and it's
important. Jesus, there's ice in them thar clouds.

Oh well, when the **** hits the fan, somehow I always make it through.
I hope I do once again tonight.

I'm going to muck around in the low enroute system once again and defy
the ****ing ice gods.

BWB

Old February 21st 04, 06:09 PM
pacplyer

(bryan chaisone) wrote in message . com...
BWB,

I didn't know Allen, but I knew Gil. Gil's death was not pilot error
nor bad workmanship. It was bad design, and as you have said, bad
selection of non- AN hardware and engine. His machine and building
quality was excellent. I wonder what his wife Genie is doing now, I
lost her number. The poor woman just got married and her hubby was
taken away in such a manner.

Pacplyer,

The Russian truck engine is probably an improvement over the
over-taxed Rotax 582. Rotax makes good engines, just not for that
application.

The vietnamese guy,

I am sorry about your loss, ($30,000.00), that might as well be
$750,000.00 to us here in the US. The median income for vietnamese is
about $200.00/yr from what I hear.

Bryan Chaisone ~Fly safe, fly free~
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_a-h.htm#C

Hey Bryan, nice R-22 shots. There's really something to be said about
certified helos isn't there? Despite the expense. oh well, the dream
of a cheap hovering continues... You ever get back to Laos? Bet some
of the flying their would be spectacular.

pac

was
(pacplyer) wrote in message . com...
But dang that thing looked neat. Too bad the power to weight was so
lousy. And the hardware quality control was so lacking. And the
design was so questionable (my opinions only.) If I was surfing the
net in my rice paddy, I'd order up one too on the internet just from
the color shots alone. Not sure I'd go with the Russian truck engine
though! But *hay*, who wants to live forever right? ;^D

Besides, after you send the check, Allah or Buddha will watch over
your ball bearings.

pac "true believer" plyer

(thank god for free speech at RAH, who knows, I might have bought one
of those things!)

(Badwater Bill) wrote in message .. .
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 04:51:35 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

from Fox News - too bad Le Van Danh chose a Mini 500 for his first project

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - With directions from the Internet and an old Russian
truck motor, a Vietnamese farmer fulfilled his dream of making his own
helicopter. The job took two friends, seven years and $30,000.

Now, military officials say he can't fly it, because he didn't get approval
to build it, and they confiscated the makeshift copter.

"It's my hobby," farmer Le Van Danh complained by telephone Monday from his
hometown of Tay Ninh, in Vietnam's southwest. "I will do whatever I can,
including going to the prime minister, to get the permission."

True, he admits, the helicopter is still a work in progress: It only rises
about 18 inches off the ground. "We are in the process of a fifth test of
moving forward and backward, left and right," Danh said.

Getting approval to keep working on the chopper won't be easy. No Vietnamese
individual has ever been granted a government license to build an aircraft,
said Le Cong Tinh, director of the Air Transport Safety division of the
country's Civil Aviation Administration.

The farmer said he won't give up, vowing to sell his house or 25 acres of
land if that's what it takes to get the license. "If I cannot do it, my
children or my grandchildren will do it," he said.

That's really too bad in reality. This guy probably thinks he bought
a viable commodity; something that might take him aloft to self
actualize his most spiritual dreams of flight. From the little we see
written here it appears that he's hovered it (maybe) at 18 inches for
a bit. Depending upon how long he did that, he's probably worn it out
already.

Mine wore out in about 20 hours.

Let's see...$30,000 for 20 hours is about what?.....$1500/hr. Worst
cost to benefit ratio I ever saw for a homebuilder. I'm glad that
Fred Stewart gave it to me. Sorry for Fred's loss of money on that
deal.

This is the problem with what fetters did (in my HUMBLE opinion).
These kits were sold to anyone. All you had to do was be able to sign
your name on the check. I doubt that most of the buyers really knew
anything much about homebuilding. Most of the first time homebuilders
I met when they elected me the president of the builder's association
who built the Mini-500 helicopter had no other experience. They
didn't know if a castle nut, a pal nut or a nylock nut was required on
a component.

So they just blindly followed the plans and assembly instructions.

I mean, how many knew what type of bearings should have been used on
the main rotor transmission or if they were wrong? How about the
bearing in the tailrotor transmission? How many might know that needs
to be a special thrust bearing? How many might know how to use a
Chadwick tracking and balancing instrument to fine tune the moment if
inertia of the main and tail rotor blades so they don't tear the
machine apart when they spool it up?

So, this guy in Viet Nam with his life savings and a dream for flight
gets to buy this piece of ****, death trap, build it and attempt to
waste himself. Then to top it all off, he has to deal with the
Vietnamese government to fly it. Poor rice farmer! Duped from the
get-go and no where to turn.

Well, I have something to tell him if he could hear me. You are lucky
Mr. Vietnam Man. There are many who did fly it and they died. At
least you get to hold your children in your arms for another day and
tuck them into bed at night. Many others like my buddies Gil
Armbruster and Allen Barklage have been in the grave for many years
now from their faith in the Mini-500 while others proclaim their
destiny was from a lack of experience, or pilot error.

Yeah, right.

Allen with 32,000 (Thirty two thousand) hours of chopper time, punches
in and buys the farm in his Mini-500. Yep, must have been lack of
experience eh?

Have a nice day.

BWB

Old March 4th 04, 02:20 AM
bryan chaisone

[...]

Hey Pac, thanks for the compliments. I don't own the R-22, I can't
afford to fly it more than 200 hrs per year, which is the breakeven
point between owning and renting. I went back to Thailand twice, once
in '96 and once last year early 2003. It was a blast. Offered BWB, I
mean Bill the Grump to tag along, he didn't take me up on it. Guess
it was one of his Grumpier periods. There's always next time. I am
emailing you an invitation to view my misc photo page, it contains
pictures of my trips to Thailand. My grandfather lives in Thailand,
so I spent some time with him there. One of the pictures is of me on
the bank of Mekong river, which divides Thailand and Laos. I nolonger
have relatives in Laos, and I only had two weeks there. I didn't have
time to fit Laos into the schedule. There's always next time.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_a-h.htm#CHey PAC
Old March 4th 04, 02:26 AM
bryan chaisone

PAC wrote:
Hey Bryan, nice R-22 shots. There's really something to be said about
certified helos isn't there? Despite the expense. oh well, the dream
of a cheap hovering continues... You ever get back to Laos? Bet some
of the flying their would be spectacular.

pac

I didn't get a chance to fly while I was there, but yes there are many
wonderful sceneries in Laos. Laos is still wild. Laos used to be
called Laan Xang (Million Elephants). There are still many wild
elephants, Tigers, monkeys...etc. in Laos. A specie of deer thought
to have been extinct was found in Laos a few years back.