commercial low-flight safety

Old January 28th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default commercial low-flight safety

On Jan 28, 12:35*pm, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
It's funny about Usenet. I read your post and noted the Cheney reference
and didn't take it to be political at all; simply a metaphor to add *a
closing touch of humor. I do this myself all the time.

Hell, I like Cheney and given that he deer hunts at one of the ranches
in TX where I have hunted a time or two and will probably hunt again I
can tell you that I will be damn sure I know where his gun is pointing
if we are ever there at the same time.

Or any hunter. I've not yet met any fellow hunters who find fault in
anyone in his situation. It was an unfortunate thing, like an engine
failure on short final. Something to give pause but not blame.

-Robert
Old January 28th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
It's funny about Usenet. I read your post and noted the Cheney reference
and didn't take it to be political at all; simply a metaphor to add a
closing touch of humor. I do this myself all the time.

Hell, I like Cheney and given that he deer hunts at one of the ranches
in TX where I have hunted a time or two and will probably hunt again I
can tell you that I will be damn sure I know where his gun is pointing
if we are ever there at the same time.

Or any hunter. I've not yet met any fellow hunters who find fault in
anyone in his situation. It was an unfortunate thing, like an engine
failure on short final. Something to give pause but not blame.

-Robert

I agree. I've always felt felt that the pickup on the Chaney incident
was totally unfair and completely political, regardless of the side
speaking out.
I'm positive as is anyone who has seriously hunted or handled firearms
in their life that Chaney simply made a mistake as many of us have made
mistakes. I'm also positive that his concern for his friend's life was
genuine and that what happened that day galvanized him so that for the
rest of his natural born days, he'll NEVER point a firearm anywhere else
but where it should be pointed.
Chaney was extremely lucky to be given a second chance. I know about
these things as I once made a near fatal error myself and was the
recipient of one of those second chances in life.
Those who would enjoy the pain of someone as they suffer through an
experience like that suffered by Chaney for some political agenda are in
my book beyond human feeling as I know it anyway.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 28th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Or any hunter. I've not yet met any fellow hunters who find fault in
anyone in his situation. It was an unfortunate thing, like an engine
failure on short final. Something to give pause but not blame.

-Robert

Interesting.
All the hunters I know feel the contrary. Shouldn't have happened. Simple
failure of firing discipline.

Most of 'ems elk, bear, deer and antelope killers tho'.
Maybe bird guys are differnt.

Old January 28th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Kloudy via AviationKB.com wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

Or any hunter. I've not yet met any fellow hunters who find fault in
anyone in his situation. It was an unfortunate thing, like an engine
failure on short final. Something to give pause but not blame.

-Robert

Interesting.
All the hunters I know feel the contrary. Shouldn't have happened. Simple
failure of firing discipline.

Most of 'ems elk, bear, deer and antelope killers tho'.
Maybe bird guys are differnt.

It was a mistake on the VP's part but yes bird hunting is much different
than hunting for larger mammals. The main thing is that you are seldom
ever doing to be swinging and firing at the same time when shooting at
deer not to mention there is usually no another hunter changing position
behind and beside you when you are hunting deer, elk etc...

Both of those things happen all the time when bird hunting.
Old January 28th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 28, 1:19*pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

Most of 'ems elk, bear, deer and antelope killers tho'.
Maybe bird guys are differnt.

I've not hunted deer before but I'd guess you sit still, eye your
target and take your shot when it feels right. When my son was taking
his bird hunting class (using clays) they start with their back to the
clay launcher. When the clay flys you have to spin around raise your
shot gun, aim, then fire before the clay is too far gone. Safey is
important and injuries should not happen but I think many hunters
thought "but for Providence, that could have been me". Its like the
guy who loses his engine on short final. You can blame him for not
being high enough, etc but in your gut you're just glad it isn't you.

-Robert
Old January 28th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

be swinging and firing at the same time when shooting at
another hunter changing position... behind and beside you

Both of those things happen all the time when bird hunting.

Yikes.
Sounds like fun.....NOT.

yeah I can understand the situation.
Tight quarters, fast moving targets, beer. ; -]

Old January 28th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"John" wrote in message
I admit I'm a bit sensitive lately, it seems like so many of threads
degenerate into a political discussion.

Yeah, it's that season, I suppose. No worries, and I agree. When I said
"pull a Cheney," there's a little backstory there; they're looking for a new
place to hunt because right after "the" Cheney incident, one of them was hit
by birdshot because some newbie was out there freezing in shorts, and got a
little too eager to hit something and go home.

To address the question posed: Is this flight to occur during hunting
season or is it before the season open? That would be a big question.
You would not want to be mistaken for a really big goose

It'll be during the off-season. I had the exact concern. I told one of
them that unless the plane is named "Memphis Belle" I don't want to be the
guy that stirs up the birds everybody's been waiting for all day.

-c

Old January 28th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

be swinging and firing at the same time when shooting at
another hunter changing position... behind and beside you

Both of those things happen all the time when bird hunting.

Yikes.
Sounds like fun.....NOT.

yeah I can understand the situation.
Tight quarters, fast moving targets, beer. ; -]

Just like flying. Never drink until after.
Old January 28th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

gatt wrote:

I don't want to be the guy that stirs up the birds everybody's been waiting for all day.

-c

Speaking of the inadvisability of stirrin' up hunter-types.

Reminds me of some simple wisdom me pappy lay on me one sunny cold day when I
was a wee deer hunter.

We were hunting for deer, walking down an old logging road, quietly chatting
about the relatively low kill count that season. Disease was spreading thru
the deer population that year.

On our way to a spot we preferred to begin our stalk, a fella up on a nearby
knoll started shouting down at us that we were makin' too much noise and go
sit our sorry asses down and shut the Fjukk up. He says he had a bead on a
buck when we scared 'em away.
My pops says quietly under his breath to me, "well if ya had a shot why
dincha take it?"

Now i'm kinda ****ed at this fella shoutin' at us all impoilte and such and
say to my dad, "hey..right dad. Tell him that..you tell 'em..why dint he take
the shot?"

"sorry, friend!" my dad says "we'll be movin on and keepin' quiet"

So now i'm like really confused and ask my pops, "He was a rude redneck dad.
Why didn't you lay that one on him about taking the shot?"

My dad looks down at me all wise (he had been a cop and later detective in
Detroit all my life) and he says,

"Because he has a gun, my boy."

Old January 28th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message

Even if they don't shoot at you they can get your N# and many states have
laws against doing just about anything that could be construed as
harassing hunters.

Good point. I'll check for state regulations on such things. It's going
to be in the off-season, though so the main thing I don't want to do is
harrass the wildlife.

-c

flight safety rules Fabio Aviation Photos 0 January 11th 08 11:02 PM
Ferry flight a commercial op? Paul Tomblin Piloting 69 November 16th 07 02:35 PM
Problems in a commercial flight megaMAX Piloting 92 March 23rd 07 09:45 AM
Flight Safety Jay Honeck Piloting 15 February 5th 07 10:23 PM
Nixon on Commercial Flight Flyin'[email protected] Piloting 1 June 16th 04 05:51 PM