Quick mental math for the cockpit

Old September 18th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Quick mental math for the cockpit

One minute of LATITUDE is approximately a nautical mile. Use your
fingers as a crude caliper to measure distances on the chart.

Double the distance and multiply by 100 for 30:1
Triple the distance for 20:1

I'd set my GPS for STATUTE miles then use the above math while flying
the club's ASK-21 for a conservative glide for home.

Use an E6-B to calculate L/D. Some high end aviator watches have one.

Distance in NM vs altitude and the pointer indicates glide ration
needed to make the goal. Update every few miles and if the L/D
remains constant, then you're on glide. If it gets smaller, then you
have it in the bag.

I recall the huge amounts of heads down time in the pre-GPS days while
on a tight final glide or over unfamiliar terrain as I tried to figure
out precisely where I was.

-Tom
Old September 18th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Sep 18, 12:48*am, 5Z wrote:
One minute of LATITUDE is approximately a nautical mile. *Use your
fingers as a crude caliper to measure distances on the chart.

Double the distance and multiply by 100 for 30:1
Triple the distance for 20:1

I'd set my GPS for STATUTE miles then use the above math while flying
the club's ASK-21 for a conservative glide for home.

Use an E6-B to calculate L/D. *Some high end aviator watches have one.

Distance in NM vs altitude and the pointer indicates glide ration
needed to make the goal. *Update every few miles and if the L/D
remains constant, then you're on glide. *If it gets smaller, then you
have it in the bag.

I recall the huge amounts of heads down time in the pre-GPS days while
on a tight final glide or over unfamiliar terrain as I tried to figure
out precisely where I was.

-Tom

Thanks for the tips, as a new glider pilot this is very useful info.

Tom
Old September 18th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 18, 7:28*am, tstock wrote:

Thanks for the tips, as a new glider pilot this is very useful info.

Pre GPS I did rough glide estimates with my thumb. My thumb form
nucke to tip is about 10 miles and needs 2000ft
Old September 18th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 18, 12:24*pm, Andy wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:28*am, tstock wrote:

Thanks for the tips, as a new glider pilot this is very useful info.

Pre GPS I did rough glide estimates with my thumb. *My thumb form
nucke to tip is about 10 miles and needs 2000ft

Hit the wrong button!!!

Pre GPS I did rough glide estimates with my thumb. My thumb from
nuckle to tip is about 10NM and represents about 2000 ft required for
glide at 30:1. Just "pace" off the distance on a sectional and add
the required finish altitude.

Andy

Old September 28th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

My Garmin Pilot III has a vertical nav feature which will display Glide
Rate to Target on final glide. Its more accurate than judging the glide by
the goal position on the canopy. (hard to tell between 2 degrees - in - and
1.5 degrees - land out) If it is improving I speed up.

Jim

Old September 28th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

At 19:24 18 September 2009, Andy wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:28=A0am, tstock wrote:

Thanks for the tips, as a new glider pilot this is very useful info.

Pre GPS I did rough glide estimates with my thumb. My thumb from nuckle

to tip is about 10 miles and needs 2000ft

At what altitude does this hold?

Looking for a math wiz! Chad Speer Piloting 41 December 28th 06 10:11 AM
Looking for a math wiz! Chad Speer Instrument Flight Rules 22 December 19th 06 11:40 PM
Help with 152 math pittss1c Piloting 12 May 13th 05 01:47 PM
Math help request ? Snead1 Soaring 5 June 8th 04 11:15 PM
Bush is Mental Grantland Military Aviation 0 April 10th 04 03:14 PM