XCSoar download and install problem

Old September 25th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Freeman

Default XCSoar download and install problem

I would like to try XCSoar but am having trouble installing the
program on my iPaq 4705. When I go to the XCSoar site on my PC and
follow the instructions to download the latest version (5.2.4) I am
directed to a site with .cab files. No .exe files. After downloading
what appears to be the appropriate .cab file, and expanding its
contents, there are no .exe files or setup files to install it on the
ipaq. Am I missing something in the procedure or just not downloading
the right files? I am used to software that has an .exe file that then
installs files on the PC to be download to the PDA using ActiveSync.
Does this software use a different process? I was hoping to get this
installed tonight to try this weekend.
Old September 25th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

Steve,

It is tricky the first time due to .cab files not being the most used
install method and the info is not as well known.

The .cab file goes in your 4705 or its memory card. After it is placed
in the PDA, locate the .cab file and run it(click on it) from there.
It is an easy installation method. I now perfere it.

Mike

Old September 26th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Sep 25, 3:23*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

installed tonight to try this weekend.- Hide quoted text -

I'll second that! The first time in installed it (a couple years ago)
it took a lot of time. Using the .cab file, I installed it on 5 PDA'S
in about 10 minutes. It took a couple more minutes each to drop my
configuration, waypoints, and other files on them.
Old September 26th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SteveF

Thanks for the info. Two more questions.
1. If I put the .cab file on a SD card in the 4705 will it install the
program onto the card or into the main memory. I would like to keep
the cab file on the card but have the program run from the main memory
for speed.

2. Do I just double click on the cab file. Once it expands do I need
to double click any of the other files or is it all automatic? Once
installed, where do I have to put the the terrain and waypoint etc.
files? Do they have to be in any particular folder?
Old September 26th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Smiel

Once you click on .cab it will start installation, you should get a
question where you want it installed - main mem or sd card.
cab will disappear.
If you'd like to keep .cab, before you click to install "right click"
on file to get properties, then check click "read only". You can do that
on your PC before you transfer .cab to the ipaq.

Old September 26th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Also..

When XCSoar installs, it will also install a folder named"
XCSoarData". This folder is where all of your files for XCSoar are
stored, just drop them in via ActiveSync, although I think XCSoar will
find them anywhere on your PDA.

Also, your flight logs will also be stored in the "XCSoarData file. If
you are using XCSoar as the logging program for OLC, or if your
approved data logger malfunctions, these flight files are easily
accessed for uploading to OLC.

Mike

Old September 26th 09, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Winchester[_2_]

I think the XCSoarData is a directory which contains all the terrain,
waypoint, log and other required files, and if it's going to be on the
SD card, it should be at the root of the SD card. That's the only way
I've used it, so I can't remember where it goes if putting into internal
memory.

Ed

Old September 26th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Sep 25, 6:24 pm, SteveF wrote:
Thanks for the info. Two more questions.
1. If I put the .cab file on a SD card in the 4705 will it install the
program onto the card or into the main memory. I would like to keep
the cab file on the card but have the program run from the main memory
for speed.

2. Do I just double click on the cab file. Once it expands do I need
to double click any of the other files or is it all automatic? Once
installed, where do I have to put the the terrain and waypoint etc.
files? Do they have to be in any particular folder?

Since we are on this subject, is there a 5.2.4 version for the PNA
devices such as the Nokia 500? I downloaded and installed 5.2.2, but
I don't see a PNA version for 5.2.4. I did briefly try LK8000 but it
was a bit buggy and not as intuitive as the original XCSoar.

Thanks
-tom
Old September 27th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Freeman

OK. I am really feeling stupid here.

I went to the sourceforge.net site and downloaded the cab file named
XCSoarPPC2003X.ARMV4.5.2.4.cab which my research indicated was the
proper file for my device. An ipaq 4705 running Windows Mobile 2003
Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14132). Processor Intel(R)
PXA270. After installing the cab file, the ipaq displays the following
message. The program seems to run fine but since I am not familiar
with the software I do not know if there are subtle problems. I would
like to get the proper version installed before I start to load the
terrain etc.

The program you have installed may not display properly because it was
designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software
Old September 27th 09, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Steve,

I use a 3950 so I can not be of much help with your 4705 right now.
I do have a 4705 that I do not use for soaring, but maybe in the next
few days,
if no one else can help, I can load XCSoar and see what happens with
mine.

Till then, if it works and displays everything ok, dispite the
warning, I would not worry about it.
If you load your turnpoints and other data files, they should still be
there if you update your program.

Have you tried a question on the XC nabble forum? ---
http://www.nabble.com/xcsoar-user-f3437.html

Mike

OK. I am really feeling stupid here.

I went to the sourceforge.net site and downloaded the cab file named
XCSoarPPC2003X.ARMV4.5.2.4.cab which my research indicated was the
proper file for my device. An ipaq 4705 running Windows Mobile 2003
Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14132). Processor Intel(R)
PXA270. After installing the cab file, the ipaq displays the following
message. The program seems to run fine but since I am not familiar
with the software I do not know if there are subtle problems. I would
like to get the proper version installed before I start to load the
terrain etc.

The program you have installed may not display properly because it was
designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software

How do I download and install the KLM files into Google Earth [email protected] Soaring 1 January 5th 09 05:57 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
Colibri logger download problem Chris Davison Soaring 1 March 26th 06 08:15 AM
real Weather download problem George Bozovic Simulators 1 October 5th 04 04:10 AM
Cambridge 302 problem: "Could not get FAT.(A)" while trying to download flight logs Jason Armistead Soaring 5 July 13th 03 02:36 PM