Searching for fuses

Old August 24th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Searching for fuses

I'm looking for a source for some fuses for my 1972 ASW 15 panel. They may be called mini barrel fuses and were apparently used in military helicopters. They look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buss-mini-ba...item58a6f18404.

The seller doesn't have the size I need. Thanks.
Old August 24th 15, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 11:44:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm looking for a source for some fuses for my 1972 ASW 15 panel. They may be called mini barrel fuses and were apparently used in military helicopters. They look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buss-mini-ba...item58a6f18404.

The seller doesn't have the size I need. Thanks.

Try this:
http://www.findchips.com/search/FM09

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old August 24th 15, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

PS: This might be a good time to replace your fusing with current
automotive style blade fuses - they are MUCH more reliable!
Stay away from glass cylinder types...
Old August 24th 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks. I found what I was looking for at Digikey. The type of fuse is GMW series. $10 for one fuse. I'll ask my A&P about updating but there are already nice little holes in the panel for the old fuses. Maybe time for a whole new panel! Funny how the need for one fuse can transform into thousands of dollars.
Old August 25th 15, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 24 August 2015 20:10:07 UTC+2, Dave Nadler wrote:
PS: This might be a good time to replace your fusing with current
automotive style blade fuses - they are MUCH more reliable!

I can second that.
Thanks to the recommendations on RAS I'm rewiring my old glider and using blade fuses. Cartridge fuse holders are not very reliable especially if they are mounted on wires that are moved/bumped around a lot.
Blade fuses are cheap, reliable and can be found at any electronics store, fuel/gas station or motor spares stores.

From what I've seen in older gliders the trend appeared to be a main fuse at the battery (or batteries) and one or two main instrument fuses mounted in the instrument panel (usually of the cartridge type). I'm not sure if this was done by the manufacturer or installed later by glider owners but I think it is a very silly set up.
If there is a short circuit in one of the instruments or related circuits, you lose all your instrumentation when the main fuse in the panel blows and you're unlikely going to be able to rectify the short circuit in flight so replacing the fuse will most likely just result in more blown fuses.
The same logic applies to resettable fuses.

Rather fuse each instrument separately according to manufacturer specifications so that if an instrument or related circuit develops a short you only lose that portion of the circuit instead of everything.
I've moved all the instrument fuses (eight of them) behind the instrument panel into a fuse block holder to save panel space and remove the temptation to fiddle when my attention should be outside the cockpit.

10 or 15 Amp fuses right at the battery terminals
14 gauge wire from the batteries to the panel (bit of an overkill)
1,2,3 or 5 Amp fuses for each instrument according to manufacturer recommendations
Old August 25th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The current fuses are not the glass tube cartridge type. As they were used in helicopters and are mil spec so I would hope that they are fairly reliable. The one I am replacing wasn't blown but damaged - likely by me while trouble shooting a faulty radio. In any case, I do have a blade type at the battery and one fuse for each instrument. Now, when I add an ADS-B box, transponder, PowerFlarm and air conditioning I will probably re-wire. ;).
Old August 25th 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 3:03:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks. I found what I was looking for at Digikey.

Yes, much better:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...1?k=fuse%20gmw
Above should have been FM01; DigiKey doesn't list them that way though.

The type of fuse is GMW series. $10 for one fuse.

That's what happens with old uncommon parts!

Old August 25th 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Any reason why you are not using circuit breakers?
Fuses seem a little old fashioned these days.
Old August 25th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Its what came with the ship when I bought it. If it ain't broke....
Old August 25th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 10:55:12 AM UTC-4, Ross wrote:
Any reason why you are not using circuit breakers?
Fuses seem a little old fashioned these days.

Circuit breakers waste energy, fuses don't. In a battery powered system blade fuses are the best choice.

-John, Q3

Fuses on the panel, or not SF Soaring 41 November 18th 16 09:41 PM
Fuses in general Tuno Soaring 19 December 11th 08 06:45 PM
fuses vs. circuit breakers raulb Soaring 0 November 8th 07 02:48 PM
Bussman Fuses kevmor Piloting 10 May 25th 07 03:25 AM
Bussman Fuses kevmor Piloting 2 May 22nd 07 09:28 PM