Simulator with 3-monitor support?

Old September 24th 04, 06:05 PM
Peter Duniho

Default Simulator with 3-monitor support?

"Gary G" wrote in message
I, like others, are turned off by the limited view that most
low-cost simulators have.

I'm interested in knowing simulators (PC-based) that support 3 monitors.

Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane both support multi-monitor.

Since video cards with 3 outputs can run below $100, I would
like to invest in a good sim.

What video card suitable for flight simulation and which supports three
monitors costs less than $100?

Of course, price is a factor - so something that runs $200 or
less would be nice.

Both MSFS and X-Plane are well below $200.

But any recommendations are appreciated!

I recommend that you should have posted this to rec.aviation.simulators.
This has nothing to do with rec.aviation.piloting.

Follow-ups have been set for your convenience.

Pete

Old September 27th 04, 04:59 PM
Gary G

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
I appreciaqte it.

My MS Sim does not support multiple monitors.
But, it's one version old.

Does the new MS 2004 support 3 monitors?
That would be great!
I'm going to look into that.

I'll also check out the others!
Old September 27th 04, 05:00 PM
Gary G

One only need examine Ebay and other "second source" sellers of video
cards. In fact, I've found several Matrox cards that could be
had second-hand.

Old September 27th 04, 05:04 PM
Gary G

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

one also need only look at second-hand sources and Ebay to find
many affordable and good video cards.
Check out some of th Matrox cards that come available!
Who said you only had to look at new cards!!!!
Old September 27th 04, 07:14 PM
Quilljar

Yes FS 2004 does support three monitors. I recommend the Matrox Parhelia
128Mb, which must surely be available second hand by now.
Check on
http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/quilljar/parhelia.html

for one example of its use.

Old September 28th 04, 12:00 AM
Peter Duniho

"Gary G" wrote in message
My MS Sim does not support multiple monitors.
But, it's one version old.

FS2002? It does support multiple monitors. Not having used FS2004 yet, I
can't say whether FS2004 is better integrated or not, but you should be able
to use three monitors with FS2002, as well as even earlier versions.

In any case, you asked about cost of the simulators, and even new, FS2004 is
well under your $200 price point.

Pete

Old September 28th 04, 02:07 AM
Robert Pollard

Elite simulations products support multimonitor, but are a little pricey.
However, their flight models seem several orders of magnitude better than
Microsofts and I think the price is worth it. I now use Elite for IFR and
FS9 for VFR.

RobP

Old September 28th 04, 03:23 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert Pollard" wrote in message
Elite simulations products support multimonitor, but are a little pricey.
However, their flight models seem several orders of magnitude better than
Microsofts and I think the price is worth it. I now use Elite for IFR and
FS9 for VFR.

Well, therein lies the rub. Elite is strictly for IFR training. It's not
all that useful if what you want is VFR flight simulation.

For the price, it damn well better have superior flight models.

Old September 28th 04, 08:23 PM
Robert Pollard

LoL. I'm in the strange situation, thanks to a property purchase whereby I
can nolonger afford to fly, so I use Elite as my IFR trainer and FS9 as a
substitute for real flying as the chances of me getting behind a real
cockpit over the next two years is zip. Elite does provide an awesome amount
of feedback on your flights. I'm currently running through their IFR course
and it is very good. It is possible to do some limited VFR in Elite, but you
need extra scenery addons for more money!