New with FS9

Old November 18th 04, 12:59 AM
JustJoe

Default New with FS9

Hello,
I am new with FS9 and I was wondering if anyone can help me tweek it
once I get my new video card (ATI 9800 pro).

I currently have an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with P4 2.8 and 1 GIG PC3700
RAM.
The ATI 9800 pro 128 meg should be a great card with this hardware.

I will need help with everything else, from setings to get it running
smooth with good frame rates, then ultimately help with add-ons.

Thanks in advance / Fingers crossed (new Video Card installed Friday
Nov 19)

Born to Fly / JustJoe
Old November 18th 04, 10:48 AM
Carl Frisk

While you're waiting for your card you can of course search this ng and alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (it's also on
google), and microsoft.public.simulators and www.simflight.com . And visit Microsoft's sight for some more tips on
configuring your card. And there's a good beginners section in the FS9 help files section itself.

That said the whole process of getting your settings right is subjective. What works for me probably won't work for
you. Another factor is the kind of flying you do. I change my settings based on aircraft, altitude, mission, time of
day, etc. etc. There is no perfect standard setting IMO.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Old November 18th 04, 10:47 PM
Tom Allensworth

Head on over to http://www.avsim.com and join the forums. They are the
largest and most popular on the net, and you will find a wealth of
information there.

Tom Allensworth
Publisher,
AVSIM Online

Old November 19th 04, 03:40 AM
rottenberg

"JustJoe" wrote in message om...
Hello,
I am new with FS9 and I was wondering if anyone can help me tweek it
once I get my new video card (ATI 9800 pro).

I currently have an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with P4 2.8 and 1 GIG PC3700
RAM.
The ATI 9800 pro 128 meg should be a great card with this hardware.

I will need help with everything else, from setings to get it running
smooth with good frame rates, then ultimately help with add-ons.

Thanks in advance / Fingers crossed (new Video Card installed Friday
Nov 19)

Born to Fly / JustJoe

I'm confused - isn't FS9 another name for FS 2002? I have that and it
runs fine untweaked on my system, an older one and not as powerful one
as the first posters.
Old November 19th 04, 08:19 AM
Carl Frisk

FS9 a.k.a. FS2004 a.k.a. COF (Century Of Flight)

Old November 19th 04, 08:20 AM
Carl Frisk

Sorry Tom I forgot to mention www.avsim.com an excellent resource indeed.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

ink.net...

Old November 21st 04, 05:01 AM
rottenberg

How could that be? FS6 was FSFW95. That was followed by FS98, then
FS2000 and ultimately FS2002.

Old November 21st 04, 07:43 AM
Carl Frisk

It became FS9 when Microsoft named its folder by default:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9
and began storing application data by default in:
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9
and it's main configuration file FS9.cfg.

As to the how, when, what, where and why I have no idea. If you are looking for logic you're on the wrong planet

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Old November 21st 04, 04:17 PM
JustJoe

Thanks Tom and Carl.
I will join the AVSIM very soon.
Update, my new video card is in and I updated to Catalyst 4.11
drivers.
I am flying like I never imagined I could.
Excellent card (ati 9800 pro 128 meg) and system configuration.

I will take my time to read beginners stuff, work my way up.
I am learning from scratch (how to fly etc) so I use the settings that
allow me to just go up with any plane, someday I will use real
settings like a pilot.

I know that landing is an artform, for me that will be the day that I
will earn my sim-wings.

I am going to change my name from JustJoe to something a little better
for the AVSIM. Looking forward, thanks again.

JJ