Frustrated with finding flight sims

Old March 12th 05, 07:53 PM

Default Frustrated with finding flight sims

Does anyone have sources that list simulators by system specs?
My laptop is older, and I have _zero_ luck in finding games and
reviews based on what my old system can run.
There must be a site somewhere that allows one to filter flight sims
based on the specific system.

Specs: Thinkpad 600E, PII 333, 128Mb RAM, 2.5Mb VRAM, Win98SE.

As you can see, only older games will work, and since this is a
laptop, I can't easily upgrade the video card without a docking station
(which I don't have). I am fine with older games, since there is
nothing wrong with them (though I'd love to be able to play Aces High,
LOC, etc.). I'm having trouble finding the latest games that my comp
will still run...

I am still in the dark ages: for reference, I really like the ancient
A-10 Cuba

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old March 13th 05, 05:59 AM
FatKat

I'm still confused about what kind of games you're looking for? Combat
sims or civil? Survey, stand-alone? Modern or older? Hardcore or
arcade-y?

For a machine of your specs, I'd recommend the first CFS and FS98. For
modern combat, I'd recommend "EF2000 V2" or TAW, the latter being an
F-22 sim that allows you to alternate between fighting from the cockpit
or from the theater level. I'd also recommend the first Longbow game
for a chopper sim. You may not be able to run Jane's F-18, but F-15
should be well playable, as was Grapsim's F-18 (both being in-depth
sims). I'd be surprised if you could get decent performance with
anything more sophisticated.

Old March 13th 05, 06:05 PM

Thanks for your reply.
I've looked at the sims you mentioned, and so far they seem pretty
neat.

As for the type of game, my preference is involved combat, not
arcade-like. That is why I listed A-10 as a favorite... And, as
modern of a game as my machine will allow (yes, that's not very modern,
eh?).

In any case, thanks again for taking the time to list these. I look
forward to giving them a try.

Old March 13th 05, 10:41 PM
R.V. Gronoff

wrote:

[...]

With an old PCI graphics card (like the 3DFX Banshee, for example), you
could run MSFS98 and Novalogic/Jane sims. Check eBay for both the board
and the sims.

--
Virez Saddam pour me répondre.
Remove Saddam to reply.

http://www.thatguitarman.com/MP3/jesusland.mp3
Old March 13th 05, 11:11 PM
Connected

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:41:21 +0100, "R.V. Gronoff"
wrote:

With an old PCI graphics card (like the 3DFX Banshee, for example), you
could run MSFS98 and Novalogic/Jane sims. Check eBay for both the board
and the sims.

Not Banshee though, best to get a Voodoo3 or Voodoo5. Voodoo5 would
give you the best anti-aliasing ever done on a consumer video card. If
you want to play EF2000 v2.0 in 3D then you must have one of the
add-on Voodoo cards, Voodoo1 or Voodoo2.
Old March 14th 05, 04:53 AM
FatKat

FatKat a =E9crit :

wrote:

[...]

I mentioned FS98. As for the Janes sims, you should be specific - F-15
& Longbow are likely to run well; Jane's F-18 & Longbow2 are more
questionable. ATF & USNF will definately run (but why bother? They're
so repetitive) while IAF, USAF & WW2F are probably more questionable.
ATF was choppy on my P200MMX, and it required an unaccelerated P90.
IAF is supposed to require a P266, while USAF demanded an even 300Mhz.
I remember trying out MiG-29 on my nephew's Celeron 330, and being
distinctly dissatisfied with its framerate. Maybe RAM was lackong, or
maybe others here marked smoother framerates.

Old March 14th 05, 06:57 AM

Just to reply to the above posts: since I have a laptop, it is not
possible to just add video cards Except, again, if I have a port
expander and docking station, the latter of which is expensive.

I think that once, maybe I was dreaming , I believed that PCMCIA
video cards existed. Too bad they really don't.