OSH traffic picking up

Old July 22nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default OSH traffic picking up

Yes.
Jim

".Blueskies." wrote in message
. net...

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

: http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KOSH/enroute
:
:
:

Wouldn't that only be IFR arrivals?

Old July 22nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KOSH/enroute

Jim,

Thank you for the link. We were planning to leave this morning but
there was a line of thunderstorm moving very slowly our way. The
briefer told us that it might not get clear up until tomorrow. I
checked your link and found a Beech Baron scheduled from our airport
KPOU to KOSH originally for 11am then changed to 12pm. It's now 1pm so
It looked like it was delayed as well. The Baron filed direct for just
under 3hrs. It will take us at least 6 hrs not counting headwind so we
plan for two fuel stops with one before crossing Lake Erie and one
before crossing Lake Michigan (most likely 3FM because KMKG has an
Airshow this weekend).

We were planning to stay in Michigan tonight for early morning
departure to KOSH but will have to skip the relatives' visit and head
straight there tomorrow morning. Our Cessna camping spot is reserved
only until Sunday.

This is our first trip to Oshkosh. The go decision was made just
last weekend so we had been busy gathering up our camping gear, charts
etc It was a lot of work trying to figure out how to fit all the
stuffs in the plane. To take the folding bikes, we would have to
remove the backseat so the bikes stay behind this time.

Hai Longworth
Cardinal N30703

Old July 22nd 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Hai,
http://www.100ll.com/showfbo.php?Has...d18018459a0 d
Here's 3FM's fuel price $3.80. More choices lower on the page.
Good luck with the weather, take your time, leave yourself plenty of
alternatives.
Jim

"Longworth" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 22nd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

Morgans wrote:
Leaving the bikes isn't a good choice, IMHO. How bad is it taking out the
back seats?

More room, more useful load! It is a long way from the plane, to the gate
or the shower, and those are steps you might wish to avoid.
--
Jim in NC

Jim,
You are absolutely right. We had removed the backseat many times
and it wasn't much of a big deal. Besides, Rick has a bad ankle (an
old car injury many years ago) and can not do a lot of walking so the
bikes are quite essential. The problem was that we planned to head to
northern Minnesota to visit Rick's sister after spending few days at
Oshkosh. The last time we flew the plane there, the kids waited in
line for a ride. It was a lifetime thrill for some of them. I told
Rick that with the backseat removed, we still can give them rides one
at a time, but he decided to keep the backseat instead of bringing the
bikes.
I think someone here had mentioned about salvation army's bikes for
sale at Oshkosh. If we are lucky, we may snatch one or two before they
are gone. If not, I may rent a wheelchair and wheel Rick around when
his ankle gets too sore to walk or he can limp around with his cane. It
was his call.

Hai

Hai

Old July 22nd 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Bikes = GoodWill store just north west of Friar Tucks.
Montblack has already called them and verified that they have bikes in
stock.
Jim

"Longworth" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 22nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
Hai,
http://www.100ll.com/showfbo.php?Has...d18018459a0 d
Here's 3FM's fuel price $3.80. More choices lower on the page.
Good luck with the weather, take your time, leave yourself plenty of
alternatives.
Jim

Jim,
It's 3:30pm and the line of the thunderstorm had just passed our
area. It's a bit late to leave now so it will be early tomorrow
morning.

Thank you for the research on fuel price. If it is VFR weather, we
will have more choices and don't have to stick with airports with ILS,
VOR or NDB approaches. A better equipped plane will give us more
flexibilty. I am having fun tracking Doug Stewart's flight track from
1B1 to KOSH. You probably had heard of Doug, he was National Flight
Instructor of the year in 2004. He has also given quite a few of safety
seminars (a very good speaker by the way). At the last safety seminar
"Flying the Hudson River VRF corridor", Doug told us that he was
taking Bob Martens (a well-liked former FAA Safety Program manager) for
his first Oshkosh trip. Doug has a very well-equipped Cardinal RG
with stormscope, Garmin 386, Garmin 430, autopilot etc. His flight
track showed that he had made good use of his weather avoidance system,
skirting to the south of the line of thunderstorms. He is on the
second leg of his trip departing KFKL crossing the southern tip of Lake
Erie heading to KOSH.

Checking out the new Garmin 496 and other alternative XMweather is
part of the reason for our Oshkosh trip. We also plan to purchase the
JPI EDM700 and an oxygen system. An IFR certified GPS is on the next
year purchase list. I would love to hear some long-time plane owner to
tell us that we will not need anything after those purchases. BTW, when
Doug gave the seminar on single pilot IFR, we teased him by stating
that with two instrument-rated pilots in the family, we don't need no
stinking autopilot. I remember he said something like what if one of
you wanted to take a nap. It will be nice to have it someday so that
we can both snooze ;-)

Hai Longworth