2011 15M Nationals

Old August 18th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default 2011 15M Nationals

I hear they'll be in Logan, UT. Can anyone confirm the dates?

9B
Old August 18th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Aug 18, 8:47*am, Andy wrote:
I hear they'll be in Logan, UT. Can anyone confirm the dates?

9B

Logan 15 Meter nationals - July 17th through July 28th, 2011

Old August 18th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Aug 18, 10:57*am, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Aug 18, 8:47*am, Andy wrote:

I hear they'll be in Logan, UT. Can anyone confirm the dates?

9B

Logan 15 Meter nationals - July 17th through July 28th, 2011

OK, so now I'm curious. How does the process work to set locations
and dates for contests in general, and National contests in
particular?
I understand that individual contest organizations have to bid to hold
a contest, and that Nationals are supposed to move back and forth
from "east" to "west" (with the central US counting for both), but
what's
the details? Who decides what goes in or out or when?

I'm mostly asking about US contests, but I'm curious how it works
elsewhere, too. For World contests I'm aware of the votes done at
the IGC.

Thanks,
-- Matt
Old August 18th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Aug 18, 8:47*am, Andy wrote:

I hear they'll be in Logan, UT. Can anyone confirm the dates?

9B

Logan 15 Meter nationals - July 17th through July 28th, 2011

OK, so now I'm curious. *How does the process work to set locations
and dates for contests in general, and National contests in
particular?
I understand that individual contest organizations have to bid to hold
a contest, and that Nationals are supposed to move back and forth
from "east" to "west" (with the central US counting for both), but
what's
the details? *Who decides what goes in or out or when?

I'm mostly asking about US contests, but I'm curious how it works
elsewhere, too. *For World contests I'm aware of the votes done at
the IGC.

Thanks,
-- Matt

Matt,

It depends on many factors:
1. Who is willing to host
2. History of the class; as you said east, west, central, etc.
3. SSA politics

I am still convinced that other than central locations the SSA should
have East and West Nationals. We still have a system that favors
those with large amounts of vacation and willingness to drive many
miles.

Here is the data I put together earlier this year for the last five
years. The average values show where the contests have been mostly
at. Ideal would be near 2.0. Look at the poor Open Class, I would
hate to own an Open Class bird and live in the east.

Location
Standard 15M 18M Open
Site E,C,W* Site E,C,W* Site E,C,W* Site E,C,W*
2005 Waynesville 1 Uvalde 2 Montague 3 Ephrata 3
2006 Uvalde 2 Montague 3 Hobbs 3 Hobbs 3
2007 Hobbs 3 Mifflin 1 Albert Lea 2 Albert Lea 2
2008 Cordele 1 Uvalde 2 Mifflin 1 Uvalde 2
2009 Montague 3 Cordele 1 Ephrata 3 Montague 3
2010 Hobbs 3 Uvalde 2 Waynesville 1 Hobbs 3

2.166666667 1.833333333 2.166666667 2.666666667

*East = 1, Central = 2, West = 3

Standard 15M 18M Open
2011 should be East West West or Central East!

Old August 18th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Aug 18, 8:47*am, Andy wrote:

[...]

2011 should be *East * * * * * *West * * * * * *West or Central * * * * East!- Hide quoted text -

i would hope that open class in 2011 would in Uvalde? I know it would
be nice to keep them balanced east and west but there is the Worlds
there in 2012 to consider.
Old August 18th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Aug 18, 8:47*am, Andy wrote:

[...]

Oh, ya, I've drawn that chart myself too. Mine was more of a
procedural
question -- is there a contest awarding committee someplace? I guess
to a large extent it's driven by whoever steps forward with proposals,
right?

Thanks,
-- Matt
Old August 19th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL

On 8/18/2010 4:52 PM, mattm wrote:
On Aug 18, 3:26 pm, Tim wrote:
On Aug 18, 11:53 am, wrote:

On Aug 18, 10:57 am, Tim wrote:

On Aug 18, 8:47 am, wrote:

[...]

On the SSA page under Sailplane Racing | Other Resources | Site Selection

http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=4186670184

Log in and you can see who the committee members are.

-Dave
Old August 19th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Aug 18, 10:47*am, Andy wrote:
I hear they'll be in Logan, UT. Can anyone confirm the dates?

9B

As you can see the only sites which held FAI classes contests we
Waynesville
Uvalde
Hobbs
Cordele
Montague
Mifflin
Albert Lea
Ephrata

We only have 8 sites in this big country holding Nationals in FAI
classes. Let's hope these sites do not stop organizing contests.
Old August 19th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 18, 8:59*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Aug 18, 10:47*am, Andy wrote:

I hear they'll be in Logan, UT. Can anyone confirm the dates?

9B

As you can see the only sites which held FAI classes contests we
Waynesville
Uvalde
Hobbs
Cordele
Montague
Mifflin
Albert Lea
Ephrata

We only have 8 sites in this big country holding Nationals in FAI
classes. Let's hope these sites do not stop organizing contests.

Elmira and Ionia also comes to mind. But not recently in FAI.
Tim's analysis misses the Sports Class which also figures in to
participation as well as making use of these same limited resources.
Chilhowie is a new National site next year for Sports. Thanks Sara.
UH
Old August 19th 10, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

Doesn't make any difference where it is ........ just send the
trophies to the JS1 pilots

avaniceday!

2011 USA 18M Nationals 5 ugly Soaring 3 August 18th 10 04:52 AM
US 15M Nationals rlovinggood Soaring 0 May 18th 09 02:25 AM
East Coast Nationals-West Coast Nationals Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 3 September 28th 08 07:55 PM
US Nationals [email protected] Soaring 6 May 21st 08 04:22 AM
Location of 2006 US 18m nationals and Sports Class Nationals and 15m ? John Bojack Soaring 2 July 18th 05 02:45 PM