What soaring foods do you eat?

Old May 19th 05, 03:15 AM
PeterK

I was turned on to string cheese by friend (Dr)Jim Skydell a few years ago.
The ones that come in neat little individual packages you can just peal back
like a banana. I will eat one in about an each hour.It offers a lot of
protein in a small package and it is easy to store. PeterK
"ContestID67" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been trying to determine what foods work well for extended cross
country flying. It needs to taste good, give you energy, easy to eat
in flight, not too messy, filling, doesn't melt, etc.

What does everyone use?

- John

Old May 19th 05, 03:33 AM

Bill Daniels wrote:
"ContestID67" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been trying to determine what foods work well for extended

cross
country flying. It needs to taste good, give you energy, easy to

eat
in flight, not too messy, filling, doesn't melt, etc.

What does everyone use?

- John

Great question.

I have found Pemmican concentrated food bars to be great.
http://www.mealpack.com/

They last a months while sealed and don't crumble or make my fingers

sticky
when I eat them. I keep two or three in my survival vest. They

taste good
too.

Bill Daniels

Old May 19th 05, 03:41 AM

Hi Bill, Excellent suggestion - I have been using the meal packs
for over 20 years. I crewed for Bruce Brockhoff and Brad Edwards
from Australia in our 15m Nationals at Hobbs in 91 - I suggested
to Brad that he try the meal packs - he tried them and liked them
a lot - and won the 15m World Championships at Uvalde using meal
packs the whole time. I used the meal packs during my glider flying
at Bitterwasser, Namibia (Africa)- so far I have flown 23 flights of
1000 km or more during the past 8 seasons - nearly all with meal
packs as my mid day meal. Again, great suggestion for the ras
readers. Regards, Ralph Woodward

Old May 19th 05, 05:09 AM
Nyal Williams

I put a raw carrot and some dried fruit (usually apricots),
and some cheese in baggies in the side pocket. Not
messy, and without salt. I've tried power bars, trail
mix, apples, candy, sandwiches, etc. All are messy.

Here's a trick if you can make it work in your crowded
space (I'm a small guy). The large Camelbaks have
a pocket in the back and a large mouth cap for the
water. Put ice in the Camelbak and your food in that
back pocket. It will keep the food cold and much less
messy. As the ice melts you can drink it. With the
right proportions of ice and water you can have a cool
drink most of the day and keep the food cool and firm.
Works for chocolate, even.

Old May 19th 05, 09:23 AM
Bert Willing

Even during contest flying or "serious" x-country, there is always time to
eat, drink and pee.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"01-- Zero One" a écrit dans le message de news:
Tim,

I completely agree with you about the hydration issue. I did not mean to
imply that I did not drink. Actually, depending on the day, I drink quite
a bit... with the concomitant peeing. I simply meant to make the point
that proper concentration is not always enhanced by diverting attention to
water spouts or ziplock baggies full of granola, or peeing, for that
matter.

Another issue that I was alluding to is that of "level of concentration".
It is very easy to be driving down the interstate at 75 mph, negotiating
traffic, talking on the cellphone, and, when we reach our destination in
one piece, to say "Man, I am a multitasking dude! Driving, talking,
negotiating deals... and I am obviously safe... see, I made here without a
scratch!"

The fact is that I may have simply had the minimum of concentration
necessary to negotiate the driving task successfully. When it comes to
contest and serious cross country, "adequate concentration" is going to
give you mediocre results at best.

I can hear it now... "But darlin', I got the bowl of ice cream because I
need to concentrate on the football game... and it's been 2 hours since
dinner time!" :-)

Larry

"ttaylor at cc.usu.edu" wrote in message
:

Larry,

If you neglect to eat, drink, etc. you are at risk of beginning to
loose your ability to focus on all those other tasks you are talking
about. Most people need food every 2 to 4 hours to maintain peak
concentration and we have all seen the effects of dehydration too many
times. I have lost at least one friend to that here in the west.

That is why most of us find food that we can eat with little effort. I
tend to use soft granola bars (the hard ones dehydrate me and are
messy), I like apples because they tend to settle my stomach and
provide moisture as well.

Tim

Old May 19th 05, 04:28 PM
Tim Mara

I'd go for the Burger King Enormous Omelet Sandwich, maybe two of them......
but seriously......everyone has great suggestions, mostly if you can digest
straw.....the one thing you really don't want to do (hence my suggestion ;o)
is change radically anything in your diet just for the day you go
soaring.....you're possibly going to, especially with all the fibrous
suggestions I've seen here, end up landing sooner....and running toward the
head if it's not already part of your daily ritual...so.eat what you might
normally....no sense in grazing just cause you're in a
glider!......drink....and pee....
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old May 20th 05, 02:28 AM
Sid

ContestID67 wrote:
I have been trying to determine what foods work well for extended cross
country flying. It needs to taste good, give you energy, easy to eat
in flight, not too messy, filling, doesn't melt, etc.

What does everyone use?

- John

Carrots!
Tasty, munchy, surprising moisture content, and the all important
clincher, good for you.
Old May 20th 05, 05:21 AM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Mara wrote:
I'd go for the Burger King Enormous Omelet Sandwich, maybe two of them......
but seriously......everyone has great suggestions, mostly if you can digest
straw.....the one thing you really don't want to do (hence my suggestion ;o)
is change radically anything in your diet just for the day you go
soaring.....you're possibly going to, especially with all the fibrous
suggestions I've seen here, end up landing sooner....and running toward the
head if it's not already part of your daily ritual...so.eat what you might
normally....no sense in grazing just cause you're in a
glider!......drink....and pee....

Fiber doesn't act that nearly that quickly, so that shouldn't be a
concern; nonetheless, I agree that a radical diet change during flying
is probably not a good idea. I do suggest that if adding some fiber to
your diet is a "radical change", then it's probably what you consume on
the ground that needs changing!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old May 20th 05, 02:53 PM
MC

"Balance Bars" are great. There are different flavors, but avoid Balance Bar
Gold, they have a chocolate coating that will melt.

Mike

Old May 20th 05, 06:37 PM
Robin Birch

In message .com,
ContestID67 writes
I have been trying to determine what foods work well for extended cross
country flying. It needs to taste good, give you energy, easy to eat
in flight, not too messy, filling, doesn't melt, etc.

What does everyone use?

- John

Bananas. Slow release energy, reasonably nice taste, not too messy,
doesn't increase thirst, good for you.

Robin
--
Robin Birch