A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Great Sunglasses

Old December 27th 14, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

After dropping my $100 "aviator" sunglasses and shattering a lense (and
couldn't find replacement lenses), I turned to my old friend, Amazon.
Here's what I settled on: Tifosi Sunglasses
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKERBU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

At a quarter the price, these are the best sunglasses I've ever had, and
replacement lenses are also available on Amazon. Just thought I'd share.
--
Dan Marotta

Old December 28th 14, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

Tifosi are great for the price I have a pair. The difference between the price of Maui Jims & Tifosi is a couple of tows.
Glenn
Old December 28th 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

You must take really high tows... :-D

On 12/28/2014 2:46 AM, wrote:
Tifosi are great for the price I have a pair. The difference between the price of Maui Jims & Tifosi is a couple of tows.
Glenn

--
Dan Marotta

Old December 30th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

I started using these with the brown tint and reading lenses $12.75 a pair. These work extremely well, give full eye coverage, and I don't cry when something happens to them.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...%29/SG-2911725

SF

Old December 30th 14, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:51:55 AM UTC-6, SF wrote:
I started using these with the brown tint and reading lenses $12.75 a pair. These work extremely well, give full eye coverage, and I don't cry when something happens to them.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...%29/SG-2911725

SF

How is distance vision when using reader lenses?
Old December 30th 14, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

Of course everyone has their favorites. If you prefer polarized lenses as I do (they improve contrast for picking out gliders and other traffic, spotting haze domes and convergence lines, etc.), then finding quality sun readers is a little more challenging.

I have been very happy with Suncloud readers. The "Conductor" is my style of choice. They are available on Amazon for about $80. ( http://www.amazon.com/Suncloud-Condu...ncloud+readers ) The Quality and clarity are very good. Polarization angle in each lens is well aligned, and the reading lenses are well positioned for the panel.

Many folks may have concerns about polarized distortion through the canopy, or difficulty in reading electronic instruments, but I have experienced none of this. I fly with a V7, a Colibri II in portrait orientation, an Oudi II (sunlight readable), and a FlarmView display.

Matt Herron

Old December 30th 14, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

I bought a pair of Eagle Eyes polarized glasses with readers for the
better soaring visibility. It was then that I discovered that my
CAI-302 was one of those with the improperly polarized glass. Couldn't
see it without craning my neck or removing the glasses.

Taking advantage of the ClearNav offer to trade the 302 for a CNv-XC.
Should get it next week!

On 12/30/2014 11:28 AM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Of course everyone has their favorites. If you prefer polarized lenses as I do (they improve contrast for picking out gliders and other traffic, spotting haze domes and convergence lines, etc.), then finding quality sun readers is a little more challenging.

I have been very happy with Suncloud readers. The "Conductor" is my style of choice. They are available on Amazon for about $80. ( http://www.amazon.com/Suncloud-Condu...ncloud+readers ) The Quality and clarity are very good. Polarization angle in each lens is well aligned, and the reading lenses are well positioned for the panel.

Many folks may have concerns about polarized distortion through the canopy, or difficulty in reading electronic instruments, but I have experienced none of this. I fly with a V7, a Colibri II in portrait orientation, an Oudi II (sunlight readable), and a FlarmView display.

Matt Herron

--
Dan Marotta

Old December 31st 14, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

Default Great Sunglasses

The reader lenses are like Bifocals, they are low on the lens and with the reclined position in the glider they work out really well for the control panel. I have some expensive sunglasses and I like ones from Automation direct better at 10% of the price.

SF
Old March 11th 16, 11:34 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Mar 2016

I flying with my Scheydens. The glass lenses are amazing and the thin temples work great!