Does your airport WiFi?

Old April 26th 05, 09:40 PM
john smith

Default Does your airport WiFi?

I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
I am now spoiled!
The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides
free wireless internet access in the terminal and restaurant. It is nice
to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather, discuss
it with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and
committing aviation.

I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

How about your airport?

What kind of range have you seen?

Can you get it in your hangar?

Maybe we can even get AOPA to include this as a resource in future
Airport Directories.
Old April 26th 05, 10:33 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, john smith said:
I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

How about your airport?

What kind of range have you seen?

Can you get it in your hangar?

Peidmont-Hawthorne and One of the flying schools at KROC both have free
wi-fi setups and there is also a for-pay WiFi on the commerical side.

The Rochester Flying Club installed a cable modem and a Linux kiosk
computer in our ops center for the use of the members to check weather,
reschedule aircraft, etc. I used Linux because I wanted to be sure the
members didn't infest the computer with viruses and spyware. In fact,
every time you log out it wipes the whole user area and reloads it from
protected disk.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I assume HR did send out the ad I wanted, not "apply for a cool job if
Old April 26th 05, 10:53 PM
Robert M. Gary

john smith wrote:
I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
I am now spoiled!
The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides

free wireless internet access in the terminal and restaurant. It is

nice
to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather,

discuss
it with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and
committing aviation.

I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA

airports
that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

How about your airport?

What kind of range have you seen?

Can you get it in your hangar?

Maybe we can even get AOPA to include this as a resource in future
Airport Directories.

I think AOPA should. I've noticed than most of the larger shops offer
WiFi for customers waiting for aircraft.
I can also attach my laptop (or PDA) to my cell phone (via Bluetooth)
and use the GPRS data network to use the internet anywhere I can get a
cell phone signal. Make sure you have a data plan though before you do
that since you can be paying up to 5 cents per K.

-Robert

Old April 27th 05, 12:58 AM
John Clonts

"john smith" wrote in message ...
I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
I am now spoiled!
The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides free wireless internet access in the
terminal and restaurant. It is nice to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather, discuss it
with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and committing aviation.

I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports that offer this service, but find
mostly aircarrier sources.

How about your airport?

Temple KTPL, no.
Austin KAUS Trajen, yes.
Abilene KABI, yes (but I have never been able to successfully connect...)

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old April 27th 05, 01:09 AM
CryptWolf

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think AOPA should. I've noticed than most of the larger shops offer
WiFi for customers waiting for aircraft.
I can also attach my laptop (or PDA) to my cell phone (via Bluetooth)
and use the GPRS data network to use the internet anywhere I can get a
cell phone signal. Make sure you have a data plan though before you do
that since you can be paying up to 5 cents per K.

If you have one of the cell phones with the modem (mine is a Motorola V60)
built in, you can connect at around 19k and do the same thing. You need
a local (local to your cell phone number) dialup ISP service number.
You may also need a special USB cable for the phone and some extra
software. I've demonstrated this to a few pilots getting DUATS over
the net and supplemented with ADDS graphics though the graphics load
slow. It's a free call or counts as regular minutes since it is handled the
same as any voice call.

Old April 27th 05, 02:31 AM
Matt Barrow

"john smith" wrote in message
I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
I am now spoiled!
The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides
free wireless internet access in the terminal and restaurant. It is nice
to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather, discuss
it with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and
committing aviation.

I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

AirNav has an icon in the FBO sections for WiFi.

For example, look at http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCOS and note the two
main FBO's.

How about your airport?

Nope, I do it at home first.

What kind of range have you seen?

Never tried to test it but have had good results at five feet.

Can you get it in your hangar?

No, but why would you want to?

Maybe we can even get AOPA to include this as a resource in future
Airport Directories.

They should.

Old April 27th 05, 02:48 AM
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

How about your airport?

One of the FBOs at Syracuse, NY (KSYR), ExecAir, offers free wireless
Internet access.

After reading the other post about the icon on AirNav, I looked there to
see if there is an icon for this FBO. There is no icon there so either
a) no one has contacted AirNav about the wireless access or b) displaying
icons is a pay service offered by AirNav and I know this FBO does not like
to spend any money.

What kind of range have you seen?

I was able to receive a signal out at the airplane, about 150 feet away
from the FBO. This is the same area where transients park.

Can you get it in your hangar?

No.

--
Peter

Old April 27th 05, 03:07 AM
Matt Barrow

"Peter R." wrote in message
john smith wrote:

I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

How about your airport?

One of the FBOs at Syracuse, NY (KSYR), ExecAir, offers free wireless
Internet access.

After reading the other post about the icon on AirNav, I looked there to
see if there is an icon for this FBO. There is no icon there so either
a) no one has contacted AirNav about the wireless access or b) displaying
icons is a pay service offered by AirNav and I know this FBO does not like
to spend any money.

I believe it costs to have any information other than the FBO name and phone
number is subscription. Oddly, they link to their web site from Airnav, so
they are spending some $$$. They don't mention it in their listing of other
services (hangers, rentals, etc).

Sounds more like a matter of half-assed marketing. That they have a virtual
monopoly at that airport might be a factor. :~)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 27th 05, 03:11 AM
Peter R.

Matt Barrow wrote:

Sounds more like a matter of half-assed marketing. That they have a virtual
monopoly at that airport might be a factor. :~)

You said it! With 100LL over US$4.25 per gallon there and no sign of going
down, they have Park Place and Boardwalk property there.

--
Peter
(A reference to the two best paying properties in the board game, Monopoly)

Old April 27th 05, 01:06 PM
OtisWinslow

I do this too. It's very handy. I have nationwide free long distance
so I can just dial into the same number all the time when using
the cell phone.

news:1114560412.db96457d9f5e51cc973659a3925d1e67@t eranews...

WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
NAS and associated computer system Newps Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 12th 04 05:12 AM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM