This Just In- Butterfly

Old February 17th 12, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default This Just In- Butterfly

Marc Forderer reports this morning that Butterfly has completed the
requested changes to their new vario product to comply with the US RC
policy issued lasty week with respect to A/H display.
They will have a conforming example to us shortly for review.
We applaud their constructive response and cooperation. They set a
good example for other instrument suppliers to follow.
Well done Butterfly Team
For the RC
UH
Old February 17th 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Have we talked to Verizon, Apple, Microsoft and Blackberry yet? ;-)
Old February 17th 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Sean,

Let us give this thread a break. We all know your position and you know
other's position. All arguments on both sides have been well articulated.
From this point on all that is being accomplished is divisive resulting in
alienating people supporting one group from those supporting the other.
Maybe here in the USA turning differences in opinions into divisiveness
which results in alienation is part of our nature. If so, it explains what
we are seeing in the political arena.

The positive side of this conversation is the fact that Butterfly has
responded to the current requirements of the US sailplane racing community.
This response both facilitates the current rule and any possible changes.

Respectfully to all participants in this conversation,

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Old February 17th 12, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Sure Wayne. I got it.

But just to be thorough we might want to get the ball rolling with these guys too.

http://www.lxnav.com/products/ahrs.html

I would hate to see someone get hammered for this stuff and labeled a bad guy, etc.

There is a big wave of this technology crashing in on the market right now. If we are going the path of disablement, it is bigger than simply butterfly.

Sean
F2
Old February 17th 12, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Feb 17, 1:49*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
Sure Wayne. *I got it.

But just to be thorough we might want to get the ball rolling with these guys too.

http://www.lxnav.com/products/ahrs.html

I would hate to see someone get hammered for this stuff and labeled a bad guy, etc.

There is a big wave of this technology crashing in on the market right now. *If we are going the path of disablement, it is bigger than simply butterfly.

Sean
F2

On the side of divisiveness, I have to agree with Sean. I recently
created a one-axis attitude sensing system for another application,
and found it was pretty trivial to implement using easily available
hobbyist parts and development systems, for about $200. And this of
course doesn't even begin to touch all the smartphone and tablet
products that all incorporate solid-state 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis
magnetometer chips that make ahrs apps trivial to implement.

Sticking our collective heads into the sand does no one any good - it
is time to realize that the capability *WILL* be in cockpits soon if
they aren't there already, and the success of plugging one particular
hole is like plugging one hole on the titanic - nice publicity, but
ain't gonna help much ;-).

If the SSA and the rules committee wants to get ahead of the game,
they need to provide clear guidance on how to handle suspected
violations. I would venture to speculate that IMC thermalling
techniques may well be detectable through analysis of IGC files for
evidence of violations in a way that reduces the probability of 'false
positive' or 'false negative' results. Even the possibility that an
automated IGC analysis tool could give you a zero for the day (or
maybe even the full death penalty - zero plus a 100pt penalty the next
day) might go a long way toward suppressing cloud-flying temptations.

TA
Old February 17th 12, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WR

On Feb 17, 2:38*pm, Frank Paynter wrote:
[...]

I don't think analysis of the IGC file can tell if you've climbed up
through clouds, or contacted shear wave in the blue. I've seen guys
get well above cloud base via shear wave and never go IMC, IGC
analysis can't account for that and its perfectly legal in every way.
Maybe rely on peer pressure to follow the rules (both FAA and Contest)
and random cockpit checks?

WR
Old February 17th 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 17, 3:38*pm, Frank Paynter wrote:
[...]

Relax Frank, it's being handled.

That said, guys are expected to read and abide by the rules.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Butterfly iGlide Reed von Gal Soaring 4 May 2nd 12 06:00 PM
New Butterfly Vario Paul Remde Soaring 238 February 20th 12 05:05 AM