Starduster Too, first flight, busted prop

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 30th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Starduster Too, first flight, busted prop

Well, a friend finally got his starduster too in the air. He finished it
this last winter, and has been preparing for his first flight, The flight
went well, apparently normal until shutdown. There was about 6 " of prop
missing from each end, and what was left was shattered back another 6-8".
His landing was in full stall attitude and no pieces were found on the
runway, no one heard anything, so we've pretty much ruled out a ground
strike. The videos show a perfectly normal flight although in one of the low
passes, one of the observers heard a whistling sound. I've got pictures
heading this way, and should have them posted by tomorrow. The pilot was as
surprized as the rest of us by the lack of vibration, and evidently what was
left of the prop continued to produce thrust.
This is a Starduster Too, with a continental 200hp radial, and a
Sensenich wooden prop(72" I think). While I don't think the prop was new, it
was in perfect shape, and the aircraft/engine/prop were inspected by a
number of very qualified folks, and no one saw anything amiss, until after
the flight. The aircraft was thoroughly checked for ground clearance
before flight, and from the test I think the attitude required to strike the
prop(even with compressed gear), would scare any still living pilot.
Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Al