A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Everest Gliding Gimbal Project

Old November 23rd 13, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacek Witalinski
external usenet poster

Default Everest Gliding Gimbal Project

Hi,
I designed gimbal for Sebastian Kawa for the Everest Gliding event. I think it might be interesting and I would like to share the info on this webpage.. The Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__78nRjidUs

http://i.imgur.com/KT0Q4QT.jpg

description:
Are the gimbals limited to drones, handy or those that are close to the ground? I would say no.

This topic, which now I briefly describe, took me about two Months. The most important thing is that our glider pilot Sebastian Kawa, a multiple world champion in gliding, on Nov 16th he went with a Team to the Himalayas Mountains to make the world's first glider flight over Mount Everest. The glider has its own drive rotary engine for stand-alone start to a ceiling of 2000 m. The rest of the height he will have to reach by sail and thermal climbing. Project was prepared for couple years, they had a lack of proper camera stabilization, which I’ve designed and handmade. This Gimbal is designed for gliders and difficult high mountains environments:

Gimbal rotates 340 degrees and 170 in Yaw Pitch.

After analyzing all the factors that prevail during the flight at an altitude of about 8000 m reached new criteria:

1 Temperature -60C

2 Jet Stream blowing 200 to 350 km / h

3 Aerodynamics gimbal adapted to such speed

4 Battery disabilities and their resistance to low temperatures

And many others result from the above.

I’ve designed aero dynamical gimbal shape for GoPro 3+ on the board. Gimbal position is adjusted from remote panel equipped with LCD and controll sticks. 2.4Ghz provides Video streaming and 800MHz RC.

Whole devices and GoPro are charged from the main LiJon battery located in the device. There was no question of pulling cables, so everything acts autonomously.

The first tests in the air we did at the beginning of October, we found that Yaw power was too small. After increasing motors power, we could operate with gimbal at 120km/h, after next tests and appending additional gear we reached 150km/h with full operational it’s 20km/h more than average cruise speed.

Batteries, I found LiJon currently working at temperatures from -60 to +60 , 4000mAh . To simplify the process of charging I put protection against overcharge and discharge for each cells below targets. This is not a balancer, but enough not to damage the battery during a long flight when the batteries become depleted below a critical voltage.

All electronic controller components were chosen at a range up to +/-50C . Powered by Yaw I’ve set higher power to treat the coil of the Yaw motor it as a heater. The stabilization temperature lacked the time, but I think that's enough.

All of the structures are made from CF to reduce weight with maximum strength.

Here is a short video of the flight test. Keep your fingers crossed for flight over the Himalayas our most known glider world champion.

Best Regards
Jacek Witalinski
Old November 23rd 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:08:21 AM UTC-8, Jacek Witalinski wrote:
Hi,

I designed gimbal for Sebastian Kawa for the Everest Gliding event. I think it might be interesting and I would like to share the info on this webpage. The Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__78nRjidUs

description:

Are the gimbals limited to drones, handy or those that are close to the ground? I would say no.

This topic, which now I briefly describe, took me about two Months. The most important thing is that our glider pilot Sebastian Kawa, a multiple world champion in gliding, on Nov 16th he went with a Team to the Himalayas Mountains to make the world's first glider flight over Mount Everest. The glider has its own drive rotary engine for stand-alone start to a ceiling of 2000 m. The rest of the height he will have to reach by sail and thermal climbing. Project was prepared for couple years, they had a lack of proper camera stabilization, which I’ve designed and handmade. This Gimbal is designed for gliders and difficult high mountains environments:

After analyzing all the factors that prevail during the flight at an altitude of about 8000 m reached new criteria:

1 Temperature -60C

I’ve designed aero dynamical gimbal shape for GoPro 3+ on the board. Gimbal position is adjusted from remote panel equipped with LCD and controll sticks. 2.4Ghz provides Video streaming and 800MHz RC.

Whole devices and GoPro are charged from the main LiJon battery located in the device. There was no question of pulling cables, so everything acts autonomously.

The first tests in the air we did at the beginning of October, we found that Yaw power was too small. After increasing motors power, we could operate with gimbal at 120km/h, after next tests and appending additional gear we reached 150km/h with full operational it’s 20km/h more than average cruise speed.

Batteries, I found LiJon currently working at temperatures from -60 to +60 , 4000mAh . To simplify the process of charging I put protection against overcharge and discharge for each cells below targets. This is not a balancer, but enough not to damage the battery during a long flight when the batteries become depleted below a critical voltage.

All electronic controller components were chosen at a range up to +/-50C .. Powered by Yaw I’ve set higher power to treat the coil of the Yaw motor it as a heater. The stabilization temperature lacked the time, but I think that's enough.

Here is a short video of the flight test. Keep your fingers crossed for flight over the Himalayas our most known glider world champion.

Best Regards

Jacek Witalinski

Very cool Jacek. Looks like you put a lot of work into it. I want one that can sit out on the wing and look where I look.

Matt
Old November 23rd 13, 09:29 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek Witalinski View Post
Hi,
I designed gimbal for Sebastian Kawa for the Everest Gliding event. I think it might be interesting and I would like to share the info on this webpage.. The Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__78nRjidUs

Best Regards
Jacek Witalinski
Very nice. Congratulations Jacek on a the successful development of the gimbal. Looking forward to seeing more video produced using this sort of device. It sure takes soaring video to another level!

All the best!
Brad.
Old November 24th 13, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi Jacek,

Very interesting! The video you posted from the new mount is very nice.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"Brad Alston" wrote in message

Jacek Witalinski;847002 Wrote:
Hi,
I designed gimbal for Sebastian Kawa for the Everest Gliding event. I
think it might be interesting and I would like to share the info on this
webpage.. The Link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__78nRjidUs

Best Regards
Jacek Witalinski

Very nice. Congratulations Jacek on a the successful development of the
gimbal. Looking forward to seeing more video produced using this sort of
device. It sure takes soaring video to another level!

All the best!
Brad.

--
Brad Alston

Old November 24th 13, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacek Witalinski
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:24:03 PM UTC+1, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:08:21 AM UTC-8, Jacek Witalinski wrote:

Hi,

I designed gimbal for Sebastian Kawa for the Everest Gliding event. I think it might be interesting and I would like to share the info on this webpage. The Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__78nRjidUs

description:

1 Temperature -60C

All electronic controller components were chosen at a range up to +/-50C . Powered by Yaw I’ve set higher power to treat the coil of the Yaw motor it as a heater. The stabilization temperature lacked the time, but I think that's enough.

Best Regards

Jacek Witalinski

Very cool Jacek. Looks like you put a lot of work into it. I want one that can sit out on the wing and look where I look.

Matt

Yes it took almost two months withe this project. I hope that Sebastian will collect all of the approval from local government and will fly over Mount Everest. I wish him good luck.