A380 first passenger flight

Old October 26th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

Default A380 first passenger flight

On Oct 25, 7:30 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Oct 25, 3:11 pm, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

On Oct 25, 3:22 pm, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Morgans,

There are a lot of people in the world with more money than
sense!

Actually, if you really have the money, need to fly a lot, but not
enough for a long-range biz jet to make sense, what doesn't make sense
about booking the suite?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

But do they have access to the internet from the suites? I find it
very difficult to do work without access to my email, files and other
online resources.

You need to set up your system to sync. That way you have a current
copy on your PC. I can respond to emails for hours on end without
refreshing new ones.
The WSJ article said they had some sort of USB network connection. Not
sure if that is just internal or if internet access is available.
-Robert- Hide quoted text -

Most of the times I am writing proposals or evaluating other peoples
proposals, so I don't know ahead of time what resources I might need.
I may need to pull an article from a journal, or search for a piece of
information on a government database. Besides, I don't like the idea
of syncing everything that is on my server to a laptop because of the
security risk. On an aircraft that costs hundreds of millions, surely
there must be a way to link to the internet via some satellite link.
If Southwest offered internet access, I would happily take their bench
seats over private suites in a luxury airline that did not offer data
service.

Old October 26th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Most of the times I am writing proposals or evaluating other peoples
proposals, so I don't know ahead of time what resources I might need.
I may need to pull an article from a journal, or search for a piece of
information on a government database. Besides, I don't like the idea
of syncing everything that is on my server to a laptop because of the
security risk. On an aircraft that costs hundreds of millions, surely
there must be a way to link to the internet via some satellite link.
If Southwest offered internet access, I would happily take their bench
seats over private suites in a luxury airline that did not offer data
service.

Singapore Airlines used to have the Boeing Connexion service for
broadband internet. Fees were something like $30 for unlimited access on
the flight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connexion_by_Boeing

As noted in the above link, Boeing decided to shut down the commercial
service about a year ago, since they couldn't attract enough customers.

As far as the problem of having to bring a laptop, an alternative for
many people will be the use of a U3 enabled USB drive, which carries the
software and data you want. A traveler would use the computer system
provided by the airline, and not have to carry a laptop.

http://www.u3.com/

The U3 drive doesn't leave anything on the host computer, so there is a
limited security risk.

Old October 26th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Oct 25, 11:06 pm, James Robinson wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

This defies my logic. If $30 for unlimited broadband was a hard sell,
how is $15/min for a bed on an airplane an easy sell?

Old October 26th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the people who can pay the big bucks for private suites are the
type who wouldn't soil their hands on a computer?

If you read the article in the link, they said that while the service was
popular in Europe, they couldn't get enough customers in the US. So it's
Joe Sixpack who wouldn't cough up the money.
Old October 26th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Andrew Sarangan wrote in
ups.com:

This defies my logic. If $30 for unlimited broadband was a hard sell,
how is $15/min for a bed on an airplane an easy sell?

You can't join the mile high club on a broadband link.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old October 26th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

This defies my logic. If $30 for unlimited broadband was a hard sell,
how is $15/min for a bed on an airplane an easy sell?

You have to ask? G
Old October 26th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

how is $15/min for a bed on an airplane an easy sell?- Hide quoted text -

According to the WSJ article the airline's market analysis showed that
those in business class want to work and are excited to be in big
seats. Those in 1st class are used to being taken care of and just
want to sleep. No internet connection required.

-Robert

Old October 26th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Marty Shapiro wrote:
This defies my logic. If $30 for unlimited broadband was a hard sell,
how is $15/min for a bed on an airplane an easy sell?

You can't join the mile high club on a broadband link.

But you can on a band of broads.

Old October 27th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Gig

Are you talking about a hot bed operation )

Big John

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:16:42 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:

Morgans wrote:
"S Green" wrote

Anyone with a tenner can join the mile-high club, if they're
prepared to fool around in a low-cost airline's smallest room. But
this week we found out the price of doing it in style: about £4,000.

I bet they could double the price and double the beds, and fill them
on every flight. There are a lot of people in the world with more
money than sense!

Probably right. But the way to generate the most income from them is to
auction them off in flight about 5 hours in to a 16 hour trip.

Old October 30th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

James Robinson schrieb:

http://www.u3.com/

The U3 drive doesn't leave anything on the host computer, so there is a
limited security risk.

but if you still need to cross an American border - there lies the
security risk.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/

Airbus A380 makes 1st flight to America J.F. Aviation Photos 6 March 25th 07 11:01 PM
My first passenger Icebound Piloting 10 February 6th 06 04:00 PM
First flight as a passenger in a Cirrus SR22-G2 - question plus photos Randy Wentzel Piloting 8 November 16th 04 07:25 PM
Passenger attempts to hijack American Eagles flight C J Campbell Piloting 5 January 11th 04 04:04 PM