Garmin 496 Review

Old July 25th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Default Garmin 496 Review

So, idiot that I am, I just took delivery of a brand new 496 on the
basis that I can trade the 396 to JA Air for $1750 assuming I can
round-up all the bits. The first impressions are...

* The new XM antenna has the magnets removed!
* The GPS antenna is a new format with mounting cup.
* Voice prompt language is now selectable.
* Updates when scrolling are way faster.

More news as it comes and as I play with it...

Old July 25th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Other things...

* The update rate of 5Hz may apply to the data fields on the map page
and to the panel page, but the map update is only about twice the rate
it was. Panning and zooming on the map is noticably faster than on the
396, but not five times as fast.

* The taxiway feature is excellent. Zoom in towards an aiport, and a
white square appears showing the airport diagram. Get closer, and you
see the taxiways in detail complete with numbering. Should be very
useful at large airports eg. on AngelFlights.

* The preloaded city and highways data is a solid addition. On a couple
of occassions I forgot to load enough data into the map cartridge
before taking a trip and using the 396 in the car, and on one occasion
the lack of data lead me into The 'Hood. Having all the data in place
will be better -- and safer!!!

* The AOPA directory is nice, and when panning the cursor around you
get a little popup telling you if the airport has food, cars etc. What
I'd really like to see is a NEAREST FOOD feature on the Nearest page.
I'm not joking -- several times I've been trying to find an airport
with a restaurant nearby on a long wx, especially when kids are in tow,
and having the GPS help out would be a great addition.

So, overall, is it worth it? Probably not, to be honest, but if I had
more sense than money, I wouldn't own an airplane...

Old July 25th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On the taxiway diagrams, do you get a cursor showing
your position on the chart?

Have to drive over to the airport to find out :-)

Bill Hale

Old July 26th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:
On the taxiway diagrams, do you get a cursor showing
your position on the chart?

Absolutely. Basically exactly the feature that Lowrance introduced
first a while ago and Garmin now replicated.

Actually, I believe the PDA/Tablet software folks got there first. And
while Lowrance did add taxi diagrams before Garmin, I don't believe that
Lowrance provides anywhere near the airport coverage that Garmin
provides. The PDA/Tablet software folks provide far more coverage than
both, though those products have other problems.

It's pretty obvious that Garmin is responding--or "chasing," if that's
what you want to believe--the PDA/TabletPC software folks, and not
Lowrance. Lowrance doesn't pose much of a threat to Garmin, especially
in the XM weather space, which is where the 396/496 is targeted.

JKG
Old July 26th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Barney Rubble

Can you prove that, where is the data to back-up your assertion?

,

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 27th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Barney,

Can you prove that, where is the data to back-up your assertion?

On Lowrance's website, where the feature has been available for months
now. A free download.

Glad you're paying attention ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 28th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_1_]

I also hope everyone is also paying attention to XM's financial,
marketing/subscriber (or lack of) problems..

Serious and getting worse...

Dave

Barney,

Old July 28th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

The core of XMs problems right now are some problems (1) with the FCC and
that they are not going to hit the subscriber numbers (3) by the end of the
year that they had originally guesstimated.

The stock market over the last couple of days seems to think all the bad
news has passed and the stock has started to creep up.

(1) Something about the units that they sold that allow you to tune them on
your FM car radio isn't FCC compliant.

(2) They guesstiated 8.5 million by the end of the year. Looks like it will
me between 7.8 and 8.2.

Market capitalization is still huge on XM and the technology is sound. At
some point they are going to have to adjust there business model but with
the number of new car makers installing XM & Sirius at the factory I think
the companies are safe.

That said even if XM goes away the WX data that is being sent could be spun
off and transmitted by any number of other companies on any number of
satilites.

"Dave" wrote in message
news
I also hope everyone is also paying attention to XM's financial,
marketing/subscriber (or lack of) problems..

Serious and getting worse...

Dave

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:32:11 +0200, Thomas Borchert

Barney,